Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barcelona

tkonion

Going with Mrs Onion for a break in August. We will have an evening, three full days and then return home earlyish on day five (4 nights in our hotel which is in Eixample). Anybody been and got any tips?

We had 3 days there in June and can recommend le mirabe that overlooks the city from the hills and is a fabulous restaurant to watch the sun setting over the city so book a table next to the open window for the best view. The food is excellent too

http://mirabe.com

Gaudi dominates the architecture of the city so make sure you soak it up. The usual sagrada familia and Park Guell are certainly worth a visit which we did via the bus tours but be prepared for a walk from the bus drop off place to the Park.

The Camp Nou tour is worth while if you are into Barcelona history but just seeing the scale of the stadium is worth it too.

As for travelling around the city (via the underground) you can buy a T-10 ticket that takes you round zone 1 around the central city areas for €10.20 thats 10 trips or 5 x 2 trips and well worth it. As for travel to and from the airport you can get a return ticket for €10.20 and its only a 25/30 minute journey each way from either terminal 1 or 2.

One of my favourite ever cities alongside NYC

Edited by Salford Trotter

My favourite city but full of bloody tourists who flock to the Rambles which is full of pickpockets during the day and pickpockets and prostitutes at night.

Lots of great areas to explore around the city if you use Ramblas a spine. Some great food stalls in the main market hall. If Mrs Onion likes a cocktail then take her to Boadas cocktail bar http://boadascocktails.com/en/ 

Make sure you get down to the beach fr some great places to eat and drink and a trip on the cable car across the harbour for the view.

As Salford says the underground is great for getting around but again watch out for the pickpockets.

Have a great trip.

The Camp Nou experience is fantastic, but be prepared to stand in queues with thousands of excited school kids. Theres a nice bar in the shadow of the stadium to quench your thirst after the tour - its close to the end where the tour starts. You’ll need a beer or 2 after the tour! The shop at the stadium is about the size of The Trafford Centre! ????

Some top tips above. Really amazing city, have everything. My two pennies' worth:

1. Buy a ticket online in advance for Sagrada Familia. Will save you a LOT of queueing. Make sure you don't miss your time slot though, as they will check the time you have been allocated.

2. If you're at the "top" end of Las Ramblas, pop for a coffee at El Corte Ingles. It may be a department store coffee shop, but fantastic views.

3. When half way down the Ramblas, definitely stop at La Boqueria market. As mentioned above, there are some places to grab a drink and tapas. I usually head to the one at the back for any seafood you could want.

4. Further "down" the Ramblas is a square called Plaza Real. A little haven from the bustle of the street itself. Yes, you guessed it, another good place for a coffee / beer.

5. Parc de la Cuitadella is a good place for a wander, to escape (if you want a break) and is on the way to the beach.

6. A couple of areas to eat: if you like seafood, there are some nice (although not cheap) restaurants near the port. Not the commercial ones at the aquarium, but the ones near Museum of Catalonian History. Also, there are loads of cheaper ones around El Born. Head from the Barri Gotic to Passeig del Born and there are dozens. I like Passeig del Born itself, where there are a couple of places with excellent tapas.

Thanks to all for the replies. Not there for the Alaves game unfortunately Kent (maybe fortunately as this saves having a conflict of interest with Mrs Onion). We come home on the 15th of August which is also the day that a big festival starts so we have timed it wrong on a few counts.

Sweep...

:)

I was there for 2 days longer than I wanted to be late last year, after being mugged, having my nose and a rib broken as well as having my passport and wallet stolen.

Definitely don't wander too far away from the popular tourist areas (as I did) would be my advice!

On the plus side, the British Embassy are really helpful  :D

I've been trying to find out exactly where zone one ends for the T10 ticket Salford as I am wondering whether to get that or the BCN 3 day pass that covers all zones and includes the funicular railway up Montjuic. That comes in at 20 or 22 euros per person depending which bit of the website you believe but may be better for us depending on how the zones work out.

Bad luck Sweep, what area was that in mate? We're staying in Eixample and probably won't stray to far from the beaten track at night. We'll be having a wander down the Ramblas and round the Gothic quarter during the day.

I've been trying to find out exactly where zone one ends for the T10 ticket Salford as I am wondering whether to get that or the BCN 3 day pass that covers all zones and includes the funicular railway up Montjuic. That comes in at 20 or 22 euros per person depending which bit of the website you believe but may be better for us depending on how the zones work out.

There was 5 of us so the T10 ticket worked well for us on the underground. Not sure if the BCN ticket applies to the underground or not. Worth searching on t'internet to find out what works for you. We went for the two day pass on the hop on and hop off buses to see the sights we wanted to visit

Bad luck Sweep, what area was that in mate? We're staying in Eixample and probably won't stray to far from the beaten track at night. We'll be having a wander down the Ramblas and round the Gothic quarter during the day.

I stayed in this hotel: https://www.hotelomm.com/en/ so whatever area that is

I'd been drinking a lot, and ventured north a few blocks, away from the Ramblas

Edit: To add, I was very unlucky and pissed, I'm sure you'll have a great time, it's a beautiful place

Edited by Sweep

Been once - the Fundació Joan Miró was amazing, if you like Miró and because he is so entwined with Catalonia’s identity it’s worth going - it claims to be the world’s greatest museum.

And go for a drink or coffee at Els Quarto Gatz- famous cafe as it was the centre of the artistic modernist movement and everyone from Picasso to Gaudi were patrons.

Been once - the Fundació Joan Miró was amazing, if you like Miró and because he is so entwined with Catalonia’s identity it’s worth going - it claims to be the world’s greatest museum.

And go for a drink or coffee at Els Quarto Gatz- famous cafe as it was the centre of the artistic modernist movement and everyone from Picasso to Gaudi were patrons.

It has to be said that we both lean toward being Philistines, we will be having a wander round checking out the landscape and architecture though (Gaudi's work looks particularly imaginative and I can't wait to see it in the flesh) in between sampling the local cuisine and beverages. If we do venture into any museums though it could be the Joan Miro or maybe the Museu Maritim which looks pretty impressive.

I stayed in this hotel: https://www.hotelomm.com/en/ so whatever area that is

I'd been drinking a lot, and ventured north a few blocks, away from the Ramblas

Edit: To add, I was very unlucky and pissed, I'm sure you'll have a great time, it's a beautiful place

Looks like that's not far from where we're staying! I doubt I'll be allowed to follow in your footsteps though mate so hopefully should be safe ????