Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Mental Health/Depression

MancWanderer

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Smiley said:

I’ve certainly hit a bump in the road recently. Lot of shit going on in the background. Family. Health. Business. Finances. The perfect storm. Turn on the news and its all war, famine, rate hikes, Bolton getting beat, etc, etc. Throw in the shit weather. Still not sure if I’ve recovered from covid in late June. Drained all the time. Waiting on blood test results. Head is definitely a bit fucked though.

You do a lot of physical stuff iirc, it may be useful to check that your diet is providing everything you need.

Have a read at this, quite interesting. 

https://www.calmclinic.com/blog/calm-clinic-review-b-vitamins

39 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You do a lot of physical stuff iirc, it may be useful to check that your diet is providing everything you need.

Have a read at this, quite interesting. 

https://www.calmclinic.com/blog/calm-clinic-review-b-vitamins

Thing is, I’ve hardly ran in the last 3 months. The odd day or two and then weeks off. Not touched any weights or kettlebells in 3 months either. Don’t feel like I could lift much at all. But don’t know if its all in my head. Diet is usually tip-top, but again, fallen off the wagon, drinking too much and eating plenty of shite!

Did get some Floradix, but don’t think it’s made much difference.

Just need a few issues to get resolved. There’s light at the end of the tunnel, but mainly out of my control, which makes it all the harder.

3 hours ago, Smiley said:

Thing is, I’ve hardly ran in the last 3 months. The odd day or two and then weeks off. Not touched any weights or kettlebells in 3 months either. Don’t feel like I could lift much at all. But don’t know if its all in my head. Diet is usually tip-top, but again, fallen off the wagon, drinking too much and eating plenty of shite!

Did get some Floradix, but don’t think it’s made much difference.

Just need a few issues to get resolved. There’s light at the end of the tunnel, but mainly out of my control, which makes it all the harder.

Get that diet and exercise sorted pronto mate. It will make whatever issues you've got a million times worse.

Get your balance right, drink loads of water and get back in the gym. Get those endorphins fired up 💪💪

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

Get that diet and exercise sorted pronto mate. It will make whatever issues you've got a million times worse.

Get your balance right, drink loads of water and get back in the gym. Get those endorphins fired up 💪💪

Saw a counsellor last week, we actually met on a 4 mile walk around Lymm, countryside, etc. Perfect setting for a natter. She said my lack of exercise means I’m not burning off the Adrenalin and cortisol which ain’t good. Decided I’ll get FGR out of the way tomorrow and then make a fresh start from Monday. Try and get back on the IF and keto with some mixed exercise. Reckon a 3-mile walk will be my baseline each day.

Need to start planning days out better. I’m the king of procrastination at the minute.

John chased the high from beer, as his tolerance increased, he drank more to achieve that same high.

Then he changed his choice of drink to wine, the instant hit was noticeable but then the story repeated.

John then tried the spirits…

At some point John acknowledged that he had an addiction. Whilst recovering he decided to flip the coin and realised he could get a high from exercise…

• Site Supporter
20 hours ago, kent_white said:

The struggle is real. Hit me like a ton of bricks this week. 

I've found doing really heavy weights (for me) at the gym makes a huge difference. Much more than cardio. 

Always seems to get fellas more than women this. Roll on April! 👍👍

Lad turned 18 couple of days ago, and strangely, this last week or two may have been a wake-up call for him. Finally sorting out his next move after sixth form instead of pissing us all about.

Reality dawning on him, and I'm sure I'll feel better once I know he's sorted and not fighting against us!

Actually quite looking forward to winter, and getting some stuff done in my own garden- he's bought thousands of seeds and wants us to get a poly tunnel for growing stuff, which will suit me and if he gets the bug all the better. 

5 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Lad turned 18 couple of days ago, and strangely, this last week or two may have been a wake-up call for him. Finally sorting out his next move after sixth form instead of pissing us all about.

Reality dawning on him, and I'm sure I'll feel better once I know he's sorted and not fighting against us!

Actually quite looking forward to winter, and getting some stuff done in my own garden- he's bought thousands of seeds and wants us to get a poly tunnel for growing stuff, which will suit me and if he gets the bug all the better. 

He's lucky - he's got a great dad! 👍

11 minutes ago, royal white said:

I don’t have any mental health problems (that I’m aware of) but I don’t half feel a lot better after doing a boxing circuit, nothing better than beating the shit out of one of your mates or doing a few rounds on the pads/bag .

Something strangely soothing about coming back full of bruises and lumps too. Totally agree - bit of controlled aggression in sparring is brilliant for getting frustrations out! 👍

Basically if WW got together a couple of times a week and battered each other with 16oz gloves on then we'd be happy as Larry! 🤣

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Always a tough time of year this. I love Autumn, but It often hits me when summer has gone. Took me till my late 20s to realise SAD was even a thing. 

Important to get as much fresh air and daylight in as you can over the autumn and winter months. Time to crack open the Vit D tablets as well. 

Vit B12 is the one apparently. Read the link I posted above. Some interesting stuff about what substances may genuinely be of benefit.

14 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I agree there: used to get the buzz from playing 5-a-side football, then a chat and a drink in the pub afterwards. 

Also enjoyed being able to walk to Burnden, casual stroll, a beer and something to eat, and a stroll back.

Hate the laborious journey to middlebrook.

Try that walking football up at the ground mate. It's thriving that scene now! 

Chatting to a lad last weekend that I was at school with who finally hung his boots up last year aged 57

Taken up walking football and reckons he's more knackered after a game than he was when he was still playing normal football

Absolutely loves it though and is turning out for Sheff Wed next year at a tournament in Vilamoura. Reckons it helps keep him "sane"

Going away next week on a family jaunt to the canaries.

Should be looking forward to it, first sun break in a while with the boys.

Got a massive feeling of dread as my auld enemy in the ale is lurking on the horizon.

As soft and shit as it seems, once I have that first pint when I finish work next week that's me on the ale for 10 days straight in a constant cycle of drinking to not feel ill or walk in to the sea.

Could be in any place in the world having the best possible time, but my next beer will be the only thing on my mind.

I know its coming and powerless to stop it. Only solution is knocking it all on the head completely. I can do this as switch it on and off pretty easily. But once Im in that cycle I just cant get off. Only work stops it, then I'm good for a few weeks.

Hard to explain, nevermind understand.

Fuckin love and hate it in equal measure :D....although the balance is tipping