Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Is Our Transport Structure At Breaking Point ?

leigh white

• Members

Northern rail is fucked and over priced 

Motorways are alright but I travel before rush hour back and forth

Potholes in bolton, fuck me it’s a mine field. 
De havilland way they were filling in potholes going on to the 61 in the rain, might as well have filled them with ready brek , they’ve made it worse On the 61 slip road

35 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Northern rail is fucked and over priced 

Motorways are alright but I travel before rush hour back and forth

Potholes in bolton, fuck me it’s a mine field. 
De havilland way they were filling in potholes going on to the 61 in the rain, might as well have filled them with ready brek , they’ve made it worse On the 61 slip road

Ready Brek?

Weetabix would work. If you've ever tried to get dried up weetabix off a bowl, you'd agree.

I grew up in basically a one car household. As did everyone round me. When you hit 17/18 and passed your test you pocketed your licence and carried on travelling everywhere on the local SELNEC bus route. No way could you afford a car. If you could it was a third hand rusting Morris Marina bought from Ian Workman that spent more time in the garage than on the road and thus put you back on the SELNEC anyway

Nowadays, as soon as the test is passed the entitled generation fuck the buses, trams and trains off and demand a car. Public transport? Fuck that!! It’s an RS3 or a GTi as soon as possible and everyone else can get to fuck. Local roads get clogged so everyone jumps on the M60 for one or two junctions so that grinds to a halt

If I want to go in to Manc I’m lucky I can get the tram. It’s fucking ace. If I need to get anywhere in the UK on a workday I drive. People ask me why. Norwich, Glasgow, Newcastle, Brum, Inverness, Colchester - try getting a decent train with your work stuff and a suitcase. Just fuck off. I’ll suck up 6 hours in the car sat in queues on the M6 in the pissing rain with my sat nav adding 10 minutes to my journey every couple of minutes rather than sat on a station looking at the list of cancelled trains 

To answer your original question. Yes. It’s fucked. Way beyond breaking point?’

Apart from the weekends. When miamiwhite gets jealous of our use of the railways 😁

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

I grew up in basically a one car household. As did everyone round me. When you hit 17/18 and passed your test you pocketed your licence and carried on travelling everywhere on the local SELNEC bus route. No way could you afford a car. If you could it was a third hand rusting Morris Marina bought from Ian Workman that spent more time in the garage than on the road and thus put you back on the SELNEC anyway

Nowadays, as soon as the test is passed the entitled generation fuck the buses, trams and trains off and demand a car. Public transport? Fuck that!! It’s an RS3 or a GTi as soon as possible and everyone else can get to fuck. Local roads get clogged so everyone jumps on the M60 for one or two junctions so that grinds to a halt

If I want to go in to Manc I’m lucky I can get the tram. It’s fucking ace. If I need to get anywhere in the UK on a workday I drive. People ask me why. Norwich, Glasgow, Newcastle, Brum, Inverness, Colchester - try getting a decent train with your work stuff and a suitcase. Just fuck off. I’ll suck up 6 hours in the car sat in queues on the M6 in the pissing rain with my sat nav adding 10 minutes to my journey every couple of minutes rather than sat on a station looking at the list of cancelled trains 

Apart from the weekends. When miamiwhite gets jealous of our use of the railways 😁

Bravo sir

bra-fucking-vo!

10 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

I'm on the train tomorrow like I am every other weekend 😂

1 minute ago, Traf said:

This talk of Leigh getting a train station is a bit strange, as it'll be in Golborne, which is further away than Atherton, which already has a station?

The tory MP is talking Bullshit, all the old railway infrastructure went in 69, we got a guided busway instead what could be used for Metrolink in about 40 years time.

I reckon Northern rail have cost a fair few people their jobs the last two years. 

It's that's fucking shit at the moment I wouldn't put it passed them being responsible for the odd suicide. It's truly horrible. If you don't have an employer that understands what's going on it must be stressful as fuck! 

8 hours ago, Traf said:

This talk of Leigh getting a train station is a bit strange, as it'll be in Golborne, which is further away than Atherton, which already has a station?

Golborne is in the Leigh constituency though so technically ticks a box, even though there’d be fuck all point to it. And that’s as someone who lives on the ‘right’ side of Leigh to be able to use it.

41 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Golborne is in the Leigh constituency though so technically ticks a box, even though there’d be fuck all point to it. And that’s as someone who lives on the ‘right’ side of Leigh to be able to use it.

Of course, but it's stretching a point to say Leigh will get a station. 

9 hours ago, stevieb said:

I reckon Northern rail have cost a fair few people their jobs the last two years. 

It's that's fucking shit at the moment I wouldn't put it passed them being responsible for the odd suicide. It's truly horrible. If you don't have an employer that understands what's going on it must be stressful as fuck! 

In one. I rarely get to work before 9 o'clock these days but thankfully I have flex-time. I dread to think what might've happened by now if I didn't.

Trying to get home last night after a few drinks in Manchester and the 20:53, 20:58 and 21:12 services were all cancelled. Just no trains for over half an hour, with the platform becoming increasingly busy. I ended up paying for an Uber in the end. It's farcical. 

36 minutes ago, Traf said:

It still won't actually be in Leigh.

Aye I know but 2 stations within a 10 minute drive from Leigh that cover north to south and east to west ain’t that bad. The best option for Leigh would be a central station that linked the manchester-Liverpool line to the west coast mainline, not sure how feasible that would be from a cost perspective but it would take traffic off the A580 and surrounding routes. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

5 minutes ago, Traf said:

So to say they'll build a station in Leigh was a lie?

Let’s wait and see shall we, the HS2 situation needs sorting first, I’d prefer the northern towns are better connected than spend billions shaving 20 minutes off trains to London. As an aside just has a look at the history of Leigh train stations and there were 2 one of which linked Leigh via Swinton to bury, our rail infrastructure was in a better shape 100 years ago, what a disaster it was to cut train lines and stations all those years ago.