Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Reversing some of the Beeching cuts

Mounts Kipper

Only a start but lets hope more money invested in the rail Infrastructure. Hopefully Leigh get a bid in for a new station.  

Interesting that Fleetwood line to be opened, possibly to facilitate a freeport to help rejuvenate an area that badly needs help.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51272817

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter

Not definitely going ahead, but good news that they are looking. Also important with regard to reducing car usage and environmental issues.

Didn't know that Fleetwood only has a population of around 25000.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

When I lived round that way there was an on-going campaign to re-open the Beverley to York line which was another closed by Beeching

Problem is that the lines that ran into the towns on the route now have  houses etc built on them and the stations have either gone or used for something else 

So it ain't happening despite all the sentiment and the fact its a bastard to get into York from that direction by car

They need to put some serious weight behind this. I'd scrap HS2 and plough all the money allocated in to this.

HS2 is all about cutting down time to travel between the north and London. The subtext is "commute to London, it's the centre of the world". Well ... that's not going to help the north's economy develop. and be self-sustaining. Increased reliable public transport links between towns will help.

Before my days there was a line between Bolton and Bury, Leigh and Tyldesley had railway stations. I live in Oxford these days and decent sized towns like Abingdon and Witney don't have railways links. 

It's crackers - and has been for years.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, mickbrown said:

This place has turned into a home for humourless  folk. 

5 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Longest ever gap for political u-turn?

Tory bastards😉

5 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Fucking idiots utilising the experience and knowledge of experts eh?...

Two shite bits of humour perhaps- not the end of the world Mick.

Closing the top tiers- that would be funny!

7 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

That’s not the subtext at all. I do a lot of travel around the uk, I was in Bradford on Friday, took 4 hours - producers put more on in the south because of travel costs and connection. It’s about linking up centres to help grow the North, not bloody commute everyday.

By train?

Bradford to London in 3 hrs via Leeds. 

• Site Supporter

Just been on news. A bit of line in Blyth gets £1.5mil for their feasibility study, a bit of line at Fleetwood gets £100k.

I wonder if it's mere coincidence that the folk of Blyth turned to Conservatism at the last GE and the people of Fleetwood didn't.

33 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

That’s not the subtext at all. I do a lot of travel around the uk, I was in Bradford on Friday, took 4 hours - producers put more on in the south because of travel costs and connection. It’s about linking up centres to help grow the North, not bloody commute everyday.

Nah, I’m with Paul on this.

All HS2 will do is suck folk from from the north. It won’t be a case off we’ll do more shit in the north it’ll be a case of you Northern monkeys can come down to London. 

Most folk just want to be able to get to work, they couldn’t  give a shit about knocking 30 mins off a trip to London. 

4 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Just been on news. A bit of line in Blyth gets £1.5mil for their feasibility study, a bit of line at Fleetwood gets £100k.

I wonder if it's mere coincidence that the folk of Blyth turned to Conservatism at the last GE and the people of Fleetwood didn't.

Oh Micky you cynic. 

9 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Nah, I’m with Paul on this.

All HS2 will do is suck folk from from the north. It won’t be a case off we’ll do more shit in the north it’ll be a case of you Northern monkeys can come down to London. 

Most folk just want to be able to get to work, they couldn’t  give a shit about knocking 30 mins off a trip to London. 

In one Trotski 👍

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, MickyD said:

There's been a team of people working on the restoration of the Fleetwood line for years. Not sure if that's the case with the other one, but maybe less money is needed to complete the study.

Anyway, keeping Joey Barton there does have benefits.