Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

V E Day

Spider

• Site Supporter

I’ve just realised something else.

My daughter has been using a template to put VE Day on loads of sheets of paper.

Unfortunately, she’s done about 15 that all say VD Day.

She doesn’t get why I’m laughing so much.

Edited by Spider

• Members
16 minutes ago, Spider said:

My daughter has been using a template to put VE Day on loads of sheets of paper.

😂 That’s a different flag.

My neighbour is a former soldier and before lockdown he was going to throw a big garden party for it with all the neighbours invited, the wife said yeah but to me it sounded like hell, I’m purely on a nodding only basis with my neighbours. Still think he’s gonna go ahead with some sort of celebration but I am out.

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, L/H White said:

it was 75 years ago, people need to get over it now

This surprises me, you lot adore a minutes silence.

Would it help if everyone sang YNWA at the end maybe?

• Members
9 minutes ago, Spider said:

This surprises me, you lot adore a minutes silence.

Would it help if everyone sang YNWA at the end maybe?

Only if they kill 40 Italians first 

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Our bunting has German flags on it, because lots of them died too.

Take it up with my liberally minded children if you have a problem with it right.

Seems a tad daft to me but each to their own. 

It’s not a celebration to stick it to the Germans but to celebrate the freedoms out forefathers fought for. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Spider said:

ITV News made that mistake last night. A caption underneath an old dear describing what VE Day was like, said "Was 11 on VD Day".

• Members

I'm not sure his kids were doing it to stick it to the Germans. Quite the opposite.

I less I'm the one who has read it wrong?

Yoof was asking me if all the German soldiers were baddies. I said no. Some were baddies but most of them were just doing as they were told, just like our soldiers were doing.

• Site Supporter
Just now, DazBob said:

I'm not sure his kids were doing it to stick it to the Germans. Quite the opposite.

Yoof was asking me if all the German soldiers were baddies. I said no. Some were baddies but most of them were just doing as they were told, just like our soldiers were doing.

Indeed

they asked if we still hate Germans.

and if they celebrate the end of the war too.

all valid questions 

• Site Supporter

Probably be the last significant anniversary when their are still some of the old boys kicking around , I think days like this are for them,always thought I wouldn't have minded being involved not saying I wouldn't have been scared but very exciting time to be alive.

The four-part series on Churchill on BBC2 this week is well worth watching.

I - early life and career, II - 1940-42, III - 1943-45 (up to Yalta), IV - later career and life,

It must be around 40 years old (and the presenter has been dead for five years).

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, Spider said:

Indeed

they asked if we still hate Germans.

and if they celebrate the end of the war too.

all valid questions 

remember hearing once a German talking about it

we tend to celebrate the fact we won the war, and there is a "pride" amongst certain generations who lived during it, or their parents did - e.g. the war spirit

whereas for Germany, it's a source of great shame

I doubt there's gemans on forums talking about who'd they want in the trenches with them for example

5 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

we tend to celebrate the fact we won the war, and there is a "pride" amongst certain generations who lived during it, or their parents did - e.g. the war spirit

I doubt there's gemans on forums talking about who'd they want in the trenches with them for example

I agree, they are very humble about what happened. Sort of embarrassed too. 

I'll have a drink tomorrow thinking of all those that lost their lives on both sides.

I think it's a celebration that it had ended at last.

• Site Supporter

Don't get me wrong, the kids are proud Brits.

It's just that to them, it's ancient history.

They've been told the story, they get it. 

As said above, it's particularly important for those that remain who were there.

1 hour ago, DazBob said:

You have misread as I said the celebration isn’t to do with sticking it to the Germans. 

You are correct in suggesting a lot of soldiers in Germany were doing as they were told but let’s be honest no one asked them to invade Europe and the regime  was disgusting. I appreciate it’s not as simple as that and I love Germany as much of the next person person.

Bit in my opinion it is right to celebrate and be thoughtful about those that fought for our freedoms as well as reflecting on all those involved. 

in my opinion there is no need for German flags as victory in Europe was little do with them and as stated before seems a little over the top (Spider this isn’t aimed at your kids as I appreciate another generation on think differently)

In regards of it being 75 years on I disagree as they were an atrocious country under the Nazis and similar to the holocaust I feel it’s important to remember so the same mistakes are not made in the future.

32 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Quite rightly attitudes have moved on from my memories in the 80’s or 90’s. It’s (well for me anyway) a chance to thank heroes who liberated us giving our lives we are lucky to have today.

• Members
1 hour ago, tomski said:

You have misread as I said the celebration isn’t to do with sticking it to the Germans. 

You are correct in suggesting a lot of soldiers in Germany were doing as they were told but let’s be honest no one asked them to invade Europe and the regime  was disgusting. I appreciate it’s not as simple as that and I love Germany as much of the next person person.

Bit in my opinion it is right to celebrate and be thoughtful about those that fought for our freedoms as well as reflecting on all those involved. 

in my opinion there is no need for German flags as victory in Europe was little do with them and as stated before seems a little over the top (Spider this isn’t aimed at your kids as I appreciate another generation on think differently)

In regards of it being 75 years on I disagree as they were an atrocious country under the Nazis and similar to the holocaust I feel it’s important to remember so the same mistakes are not made in the future.

Nobody apart from you has said anything about sticking it to the Germans. :)

And nobody asked them to invade Europe, you're right. Their superiors ordered them to. Just as our soldiers would have done if Churchill had ordered it. Don't mix up your every day soldier with an SS Officer.

His kids put the German flag on there as a show of empathy, not to gloat.

Lots of Germans died who didn't deserve to.

Of course, I'm not saying we should have German flags on our bunting, just explaining how I think Spider's kids were thinking. I think it's actually a well intentioned gesture on their part.

Edited by DazBob

1 hour ago, Duck Egg said:

A good way to thank our forefathers for being on the right side of history and to the Russians for winning the war. 

You must read some strange history books.

Anyway, Dad and my 2 Uncles all fought in the war and luckily survived. Their recollections of VE Day was immense relief that it was all over. Same with my grandparents that their sons came home safely. I never recall them crowing about victory. Many nations fought against the Germans and the Italians and also the Japanese. If Churchill had his way, they would have continued East to defeat the communists.

Russia lost more people than any other country. After Germany, they also committed more atrocities. 

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, DazBob said:

And nobody asked them to invade Europe, you're right. Their superiors ordered them to. Just as our soldiers would have done if Churchill had ordered it. Don't mix up your every day soldier with an SS Officer.:)

Aye, very few Germans knew what was going down in the concentration camps

Most were oblivious and were serving their country because they thought it was under threat, it's not like most were in on it and actual nazis

The fact they all stopped fighting on Christmas day for a game of footy shows they were just normal folk doing what they thought they had too