Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The 2020 USA Presidential election

Rudy

• Site Supporter
43 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

He's too selfish to use the nuclear codes; it wouldn't benefit him financially

A man with access to nuclear codes has been told he’s too unhinged to have a Twitter and Facebook account 

Theres time yet, lads.

12 minutes ago, Spider said:

A man with access to nuclear codes has been told he’s too unhinged to have a Twitter and Facebook account 

Theres time yet, lads.

This is an actual headline in an actual newspaper in actual real life.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/01/08/there-is-no-legal-way-stop-trump-ordering-nuclear-strike-if-he-wants-expert-says/%3foutputType=amp

But.......he still got the second highest number of votes ever. 
It does seem to have become almost a break away party. It is clear these people won’t just happily go back to voting Republican. 
Pretty sure no matter what happens with Trump , whatever he gets charged with these people will dismiss  it as the establishment lying and cheating again. 
I am sure the vast majority of Republicans are decent folk , but there is a large % that are seemingly bought into the big lie he has sold them. Fuck knows how it all gets untangled. 

Just now, Ani said:

Not really the point. 

I think yesterday will be a wake up call for a fair few. No doubt the true believers will harden in their stance - but I've got to imagine that there are enough Republican voters who would abhor what they saw yesterday - and would at least abstain from voting again if DT had stayed in charge. 

I remember what Obama took office thinking he had a hell of a job on his hands. It looks a piece of piss compared to what Biden is going to walk into. 

At the risk of sounding trite again (NIC) - it will take the US decades to recover from the damage of these last 4 years. If they ever really do.

11 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I think yesterday will be a wake up call for a fair few. No doubt the true believers will harden in their stance - but I've got to imagine that there are enough Republican voters who would abhor what they saw yesterday - and would at least abstain from voting again if DT had stayed in charge. 

I remember what Obama took office thinking he had a hell of a job on his hands. It looks a piece of piss compared to what Biden is going to walk into. 

At the risk of sounding trite again (NIC) - it will take the US decades to recover from the damage of these last 4 years. If they ever really do.

Biden as a hell of a job to do but in his favor

1. He will sort out he vaccine distribution issue

2. On the whole the economy is (somehow) in good shape

3. he will hold all 3  branches of government ( for at least next 2 years), this means he can get whatever money he needs to do 1 and 2, you will see that the GOP will go back to worrying about the deficit, which over the last 4 years as slipped their mines (actuality it as already stated, about 4 weeks ago) when they wanted another stimulus package.

Those 2 seat they won in Georgia are immense

Edited by tyldesley_white

There was a poll yesterday that claimed 45% of Republicans approved of the storming of the Capitol. That figure won't be complety accurate and much of the approval might begin to cool as the heat of the moment passes, but it's not a small minority.

As it looks just now, the Republican party has caused itself and the country a great deal of damage by indulging the crazed lunatic.

9 hours ago, kent_white said:

I'm not so sure its about just fixing the damage that Trump has done. In a funny way, we shouldn't give him too much credit and the one thing that Trump did show is the public's capacity to.move on very quickly in the news cycle.

Trump didn't cause the division people feel, he fuelled it for his own ends. As has been said, its how the GOP distance themselves from Trump's rhetoric - which as power has ebbed they have started to do, which is why Mitch McConnell's condemnation was quite a shock, even more than the calls for him to resign by the senator from Alaska.

If the GOP can bring the right minded Republicans back into the fold, which shouldn't be that hard even for those on a tea party platform, the hard right/conspiracy groups like QAnon, and The Proud Boys will drift off away to the fringe political movements they are.

The biggest issue not just for America, but across western democracies is to find a way of bridging the gap of those communities left behind by liberal centrist globalism that has allowed populists to fill a vacuum. And that, as you say, will take a long time.

Edited by Not in Crawley

58 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I'm not so sure its about just fixing the damage that Trump has done. In a funny way, we shouldn't give him too much credit and the one thing that Trump did show is the public's capacity to.move on very quickly in the news cycle.

Trump didn't cause the division people feel, he fuelled it for his own ends. As has been said, its how the GOP distance themselves from Trump's rhetoric - which as power has ebbed they have started to do, which is why Mitch McConnell's condemnation was quite a shock, even more than the calls for him to resign by the senator from Alaska.

If the GOP can bring the right minded Republicans back into the fold, which shouldn't be that hard even for those on a tea party platform, the hard right/conspiracy groups like QAnon, and The Proud Boys will drift off away to the fringe political movements they are.

The biggest issue not just for America, but across western democracies is to find a way of bridging the gap of those communities left behind by liberal centrist globalism that has allowed populists to fill a vacuum. And that, as you say, will take a long time.

Agree 100%. Trump filled a gap, now he is out of power the people who supported him are still there. Doubt he will go quietly into night so there is massive job to be done. 
People might not like the comparison to Brexit, but if you ignore people for years and then give them a vote you might not get the result you want/expect. In the States people latched onto Trump, in the UK it was Brexit. 

Just so the cabal do not get their knickers in a twist I am not comparing the idea of leaving the EU with the shit Trump has come out with I am saying that the campaigns of both tapped into something the political elite did not understand or control. 

Edited by Ani

• Members
18 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

This work is kinda cool. Fascinating

Some great columbo work going on at the moment. The amount of live-streaming footage and selfies uploaded to social media is insane. 
People with their faces not covered, one guy walked around the building still with his work ID tag around his neck. He was sacked and his employer sent his information directly to the FBI 😂

1 minute ago, Rudy said:

Some great columbo work going on at the moment. The amount of live-streaming footage and selfies uploaded to social media is insane. 
People with their faces not covered, one guy walked around the building still with his work ID tag around his neck. He was sacked and his employer sent his information directly to the FBI 😂

But watching the videos you can see in the building police holding doors open for people. It is weird how it was allowed to happen. 

• Members
Just now, Ani said:

But watching the videos you can see in the building police holding doors open for people. It is weird how it was allowed to happen. 

Probably told to stand down to calm It down, rather than busting the doors down and someone getting hurt.

The chap with the cable ties is alarming, unless he was there to straighten out some wiring 

3 hours ago, Ani said:

Agree 100%. Trump filled a gap, now he is out of power the people who supported him are still there. Doubt he will go quietly into night so there is massive job to be done. 
People might not like the comparison to Brexit, but if you ignore people for years and then give them a vote you might not get the result you want/expect. In the States people latched onto Trump, in the UK it was Brexit. 

Just so the cabal do not get their knickers in a twist I am not comparing the idea of leaving the EU with the shit Trump has come out with I am saying that the campaigns of both tapped into something the political elite did not understand or control. 

They are exactly the same thing as you say, it was a kick against a feeling of being told what to do and seeing certain communities dying around them in the name.of progress. Certainly, countries prospered but the benefits only seemed to appear to the same band of liberal, major city centrist liberals, who in their own hubris thought they had the future all mapped out and disagreement to this was plain stupidity. Both sides were wrong, arrogance on one side, being led by false leadership on the other.

I saw it with Brexit with my own friends and colleagues who couldn't believe what had happened, and what they said, they would have torn into.other people if it had been aimed at any other group in society. So the Brexiteers obviously dug in harder, like Trump supporters, not willing to be patronised any longer by younger, affluent liberals. I don't blame them, but I do blame Trump and Farage for fanning the flames for their own ends - not for any great political change, or a desire to be genuine public servants.

And so the storming of the Caption building was as much about Trump, as Brexit was about leaving the EU. On the face of it it was everything, in reality it was a tenuous link to either, they were just the endgame of something that had played out for much longer and is a much bigger societal problem than either.

3 hours ago, Rudy said:

Probably told to stand down to calm It down, rather than busting the doors down and someone getting hurt.

The chap with the cable ties is alarming, unless he was there to straighten out some wiring 

The reason behind that came out last night, it would seem those ties where in some type of lock box inside the building, which was broken into and the ties taken, still does not explain what he was going to do with them, but does explain where they came from