Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Name The Ground

Zico

1 minute ago, SatanGreavsie said:

if you're all replying to my last but one effort, copied at the top of this page, - then it's been solved: Grimsby.

My last one still stands though (Traf knows, but he always does and is not saying).

Not always, mate, 70%-ish.
I've a pretty good photographic memory and I used to look at loads of pics of old grounds. I still do, when clubs move. It's interesting to look back at how a ground has evolved over time to the point it was vacated.

Just now, Traf said:

Not always, mate, 70%-ish.
I've a pretty good photographic memory and I used to look at loads of pics of old grounds. I still do, when clubs move. It's interesting to look back at how a ground has evolved over time to the point it was vacated.

Well on that last point, I wonder what the best one was before it was vacated. Not in terms of history/memories etc as Burnden would not be beat. But in terms of perfectly serviceable grounds being sold, knocked down and moved from simply for economics?

8 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Well on that last point, I wonder what the best one was before it was vacated. Not in terms of history/memories etc as Burnden would not be beat. But in terms of perfectly serviceable grounds being sold, knocked down and moved from simply for economics?

Spurs? Juve? Atletico Madrid?

4 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

nope

As I say, most of us will have looked down on them; rightly so during Euro years.

Looking down , is that a cryptic clue , viewed from above travelling to Europe. 

Only ground I know that is often viewed from above is Brentford who used to paint adverts in the stand roof ( not Ingersoll Rand ,) to catch the eye of passing flights from nearby Heathrow . 

Oh and it is an old heap of a ground too 

Edited by Nottm_Wanderer
Added a bit more info

7 hours ago, Nottm_Wanderer said:

Only ground I know that is often viewed from above is Brentford who used to paint adverts in the stand roof ( not Ingersoll Rand ,) to catch the eye of passing flights from nearby Heathrow . 

Stockport get a lot of planes flying over so I will go Edgeley Park.

9 hours ago, Nottm_Wanderer said:

yep! Plus -  whenever I did it anyhow - the flight path was always slightly south of the ground on approach. Hence "rightly so" in the clue.

Ted Greavsie