Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile in Ukraine

Rudy

• Site Supporter
56 minutes ago, Spider said:

I’m asking someone who knows more than any of us about the subject

Considering there is a significant political factor in play as I detailed then that isn't a given.

Also consider that the articles I refer to often come directly from the military Web site and or are written by ex-service personnel (like our own RW) then I'm totally happy to take their articles as accurate.

Sadly, it's not uncommon for you to write stuff from a twitterish perspective, but I prefer to use other sources.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I'm not convinced it's a case of deciding to focus on technology rather than simply a case of reducing funding

No doubt they're interlinked.

Like I said before, when I saw the previous defence Secretary being questioned, I was a little surprised at his answer when asked if he was happy with the focus on tech over numbers.

He said yes. It was towards the end of his stint, but he was quite clear.

Obviously there were more detailed answers previously, and I'm reducing the session down somewhat, but the point at the end made me raise an eyebrow.

At the same time he was always pushing for more dosh.

I suppose his (and all others) difficulty is managing his funding and trying to get best value out of it.

This conflict has brought it into focus now, with all asking for more funding, which I'm sure we'll see. The donations to Ukraine are an indicator, and the requests for munitions etc has now seen share prices of the weapons companies have risen quickly. 

I was in a militaria place in the North East a while back- they sell used and new clothing and can't get hold of new stuff as it's all being gobbled up by the mod.

Plenty of money being spent.

20 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I'm not convinced it's a case of deciding to focus on technology rather than simply a case of reducing funding

Is correct, I believe, the treasury isn't giving the MoD the funds it has asked for and then the SoS has to try and defend the reasons. 

There is some confusion because an additional £5 billion has been given to defence spending, but inflation has added over £10 billion to costs given a total of a nearly £17 billion so the ends don't meet, and therefore cuts have to be made and there has been accusations of the funds being misspent in procurement.

Was over the news at the end of last year I believe - Labour were -rightly or wrongly - making hay out of the difficulties the government have found themselves in over this, which is a strange position for a Conservative Government to be in, as defence is usually one of the keystone policies which their supporters love and is difficult for Labour.

Anyway, thats the situation we appear to find ourselves in.

• Site Supporter

The MOD needs to sort its procurement out for sure, there has been a lot of money wasted over the years with changing designs or specs mid construction or rollout.

But like all government budgets, they are having to make do with less and less year on year and expected to provide the same level of service.

7 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

The MOD needs to sort its procurement out for sure, there has been a lot of money wasted over the years with changing designs or specs mid construction or rollout.

But like all government budgets, they are having to make do with less and less year on year and expected to provide the same level of service.

True but having such a small standing army and so few things like Tanks isn't really forgivable, and we have NATO commitments.

4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Bit like not having your kids vaccinated. 

Any way, you don't fight for the pm.

Fair do. Who do you fight for then? The king?

Everyone else here already? 

Everyone on the way here on a dinghy? 

I'd not be signing up to get killed in a war for any of this shit. Sooner get vaxxed! 🤣 

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Fair do. Who do you fight for then? The king?

Everyone else here already? 

Everyone on the way here on a dinghy? 

I'd not be signing up to get killed in a war for any of this shit. Sooner get vaxxed! 🤣 

That's the very essence of what was being discussed following the military chap's comments about conscription. 

A number of former servicemen commented that the country had changed so much that they perhaps wouldn't join up nowadays. 

Comments abound that many younger folk don't have the same sense of national pride neither.

The fewer that sign up, potentially means the more that would be conscripted.

As for the technical bit, the military is headed by the monarchy:

https://www.royal.uk/the-royal-family-and-the-armed-forces#:~:text=As Sovereign%2C The King is,to declare war and peace.

A decision to go to war is usually debated in the house, as we've seen before, but apparently not absolutely required. Bit of a grey area.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_parliamentary_approval_for_military_action#:~:text=Constitutional convention requires that the,constitutional role in the process.

25 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

That's the very essence of what was being discussed following the military chap's comments about conscription. 

A number of former servicemen commented that the country had changed so much that they perhaps wouldn't join up nowadays. 

Comments abound that many younger folk don't have the same sense of national pride neither.

The fewer that sign up, potentially means the more that would be conscripted.

As for the technical bit, the military is headed by the monarchy:

https://www.royal.uk/the-royal-family-and-the-armed-forces#:~:text=As Sovereign%2C The King is,to declare war and peace.

A decision to go to war is usually debated in the house, as we've seen before, but apparently not absolutely required. Bit of a grey area.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_parliamentary_approval_for_military_action#:~:text=Constitutional convention requires that the,constitutional role in the process.

My grandad fought for this country in  ww2. 

Current lot...rishi... Gaza/Israel... Ukraine 

Get to fuck putting yourself on the line for these types  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

What about your family, friends and the freedoms you have?

Would you not fight for them, and to stop any tyrannical regime from taking over?

1 hour ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Yourself and your family, surely

I'd fight for myself and my family, in self defence and to preserve what we've got if under attack, e.g. if someone was on my actual street trying to take my house as part of some invasion

as said, i'd join forces with the rest of earth to fight aliens, in the name of the human race

but not here or abroad in the name of the country, king, leaders or whoever, I'm not willing to die for them

fortunately, i won't have to, but I'm not going to pretend otherwise

15 minutes ago, Zico said:

I'd fight for myself and my family, in self defence and to preserve what we've got if under attack, e.g. if someone was on my actual street trying to take my house as part of some invasion

Like Palestine, then?

11 hours ago, Zico said:

as said, i'd join forces with the rest of earth to fight aliens, in the name of the human race

but not here or abroad in the name of the country, king, leaders or whoever, I'm not willing to die for them

What if they let you wear your cowboy boots under the pseudonym Portman Dave?

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, Zico said:

That's the point being made by the military chap- we may need conscription as war with Russia is increasingly likely. In other words, having to defend ourselves against a tyrannical regime.

Ad for things further afield: of course they are geopolitical, humanitarian etc, but they're not actions taken lightly, nor done to conquer, but to protect etc. Just like the Balkans conflict.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

That's the point being made by the military chap- we may need conscription as war with Russia is increasingly likely. In other words, having to defend ourselves against a tyrannical regime.

Ad for things further afield: of course they are geopolitical, humanitarian etc, but they're not actions taken lightly, nor done to conquer, but to protect etc. Just like the Balkans conflict.

I don't think we'll be fighting Russian soldiers on UK soil any time soon

And we won't be leaving the country to fight for someone else's cause

Not really sure what else to say 

It's not happening 

Not for me, not for you