Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Those pesky Taliban lads

Rudy

• Site Supporter

They're only succeeding because Trump negotiated with them, then Biden said they would withdraw all troops.

Once that happened, there was no real point in us and other coalition members continuing. 

Can't see Mr B then deciding to send them back in, unless it's air power and ship launched missiles, and no boots on the ground.

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Back once again with the sand behaviour 

Joey B in Washington will be itching to get involved, nothing secures a 2nd term like a war 

Snowflakes don’t do war

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Spider said:

It’s cost over a trillion dollars to keep some cave dwellers at bay for 20 years.

Interesting interview with a former ukip leader the other day- not for his politics, but for his experience of being a senior commander in Helmand working in conjunction with US marines.

He claimed that much that went wrong was post military action when civil servants went out to help with rebuilding- although skilled they lacked knowledge and experience of the culture and people and as a result some of their actions were not respected. He didn't really have time to go into greater detail, which is a shame.

Not sure what the answer is for the long term future of the place- it's been a fucked up, tribal, lawless place for well over a century, and probably much longer- but the coalition forces couldn't stay out there for ever. I'm somewhat surprised by the apparent lack of capability of the government forces though.

14 minutes ago, royal white said:

Not sure how long they wanted coalition forces to stay there for. 20 years we've been over there with billions spent training their forces up yet they leg it at the first sign of trouble. 🤷🏻

They do seem to have been rolled over alarmingly quickly! 

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, royal white said:

Not sure how long they wanted coalition forces to stay there for. 20 years we've been over there with billions spent training their forces up yet they leg it at the first sign of trouble. 🤷🏻

4 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Absolutely. Given then decent equipment too, which is ending up in enemy hands.

Obviously, this may seem a bit of a kick in the teeth for the guys that served, but there is no doubt for me that the campaign to rid the place of al-queda benefited the world.

The 20th anniversary TV programmes next month will be testament to that.

I will never forget sitting up in bed when I heard John Reid telling the Breakfast News that we were going to Afghanistan and weren't going to have to fire a bullet. Fuck me, I shouted, the Russians couldn't tame that place, no way we can win in that terrain as the missus looked on in puzzlement.

Here we are now, countless lives wrecked an back to square one, we'll probably get the picture of Diplomats being evacuated from an Embassy roof by helicopter.

Isis and their Pakistani support will be gearing up again

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Dimron said:

I will never forget sitting up in bed when I heard John Reid telling the Breakfast News that we were going to Afghanistan and weren't going to have to fire a bullet. Fuck me, I shouted, the Russians couldn't tame that place, no way we can win in that terrain as the missus looked on in puzzlement.

Here we are now, countless lives wrecked an back to square one, we'll probably get the picture of Diplomats being evacuated from an Embassy roof by helicopter.

Isis and their Pakistani support will be gearing up again

Certainly possible, though the tali taleban now know perfectly well the capability of modern forces. Would thay want to risk their own rule of Afghanistan by harbouring another set of international terrorists?

Time will tell. 

Not back to square one as yet, but that's now down to the attitude of the tribes.

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Certainly possible, though the tali taleban now know perfectly well the capability of modern forces. Would thay want to risk their own rule of Afghanistan by harbouring another set of international terrorists?

Time will tell. 

Not back to square one as yet, but that's now down to the attitude of the tribes.

Channel 4 (I think) interviewed the Taliban's international negotiator who said forbidding education of women was a mistake etc. etc.

Then they went to an interview with a Taliban Warlord who said his aim was Shira law, when asked what that meant he stated that it included amputations for theft and stoning for adultery... pretty Isis in my view

1 hour ago, kent_white said:

The Afghan Government have been claiming the billions of dollars from the Americans for shadow civilian armies that did not exist. Successive US administrations, Bush, Obama, Trump have rocked along with this falsehood. Biden, maybe naively, has called a halt to this lie. Subsequently the US has withdrawn the civilian contactors who were operating the Apaches that gave the air superiority that kept the cavemen at bay.

Bish Bash Bosh, the game of smoke and mirrors is now over.

In my view we should now Napalm and Cluster Bomb the fuckers along with a discreet neutron bomb or two.. unfortunately that is no longer allowed

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Dimron said:

Channel 4 (I think) interviewed the Taliban's international negotiator who said forbidding education of women was a mistake etc. etc.

Then they went to an interview with a Taliban Warlord who said his aim was Shira law, when asked what that meant he stated that it included amputations for theft and stoning for adultery... pretty Isis in my view

Therein is the issue with the taliban- essentially a rag tag bunch of tribes, that won't all agree with each other, but essentially follow one main man/branch of Islam. That doesn't necessarily mean they will seek to export their backwards ways beyond their own borders. Clearly a distasteful set up compared what we're used to.

Now then, referring back to Miami's posts around Wahhabism- I'm fairly sure you'll find isis are more aligned to this belief system, which is somewhat different than the tribes mentioned above. This is a whole new level.

Neither are particularly appealing, but the latter seem to take it upon themselves to eradicate non believers etc and are thus far more dangerous. 

Frankly, if the taliban want to impose such a system within their own country, then go ahead, so long as they don't export it, leave them to it. China and a whole host of other nations have poor human rights records too.

It doesn't necessarily follow that the taliban would tolerate isis, though an uneasy alliance may evolve as a power vacuum opens up.

4 hours ago, Cheese said:

Thank you for your service. How many tours did you do?

No idea what you are talking about

nor do I  care

How are you keeping, though?

Edited by boltondiver