Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A View From The Other Side

matty2094

• 5 weeks later...
Just now, tomski said:

Seem a sincere and honest bunch reading that. Wish em well for the season providing we don’t meet again. 

Credit where credit is due, our game plan and execution was nothing short of superb.

Just hope Ipswich and Barnsley get the automatic places because I think we can beat the rest easily

26 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Just hope Ipswich and Barnsley get the automatic places because I think we can beat the rest easily

Sadly im

not at that square. 

Need to qualify which isn’t a given yet.

Think we should/need to finish 5th.

Yesterday was a big shot in the arm for handling the big game/occasion though.

I always enjoy reading these views from our opponents fans , and with yesterday being such a  high profile game i thought i would while a way an hour looking on a few of our local and play off rivals forums to see if we got a mention 

Here is a small selection of the comments 

Preston

Hate him, but Evatt is doing a super job with this Bolton side. No right to be matching the other clubs in the top 6 but they’re aggressive and positive all over the pitch Very impressed

Blackpool fans will be suggesting him as their next manager……Truth is that Bolton could be swapping places with Blackpool

Blackpool

I'm no Bolton fan but a big well done to Evo (& of course their top keeper coach Matt Gilks) - now move to BFC, as you won't get promoted 🤣

Make him an offer he can't refuse and pay the compo. Show him the vision.

Show him WHAT. Vision? Bolton took best part of 40 000 fans to Wembley and in the promotion mix. I think he's already pretty excited about Bolton's vision at the moment. Not even sure whatever vision we might have is even visible sadly 

Manchester City

Surprised no thread......
But huge congratulations to Bolton for winning the Football League Trophy,in front of 80k at Wembley,yesterday. Special mention for our own James Trafford too,who was again in great form and is really making a name for himself between the sticks (Trafford made one outstanding save from Hardie in the first half that came at a crucial stage of the game. He had the confidence of a seasoned veteran)

Bet that Japanese fan that was all over the bbc sports reports pre-game who came over to support Plymouth was pissed off.

I was at Wembley in support of my home town club, Plymouth Argyle. A thoroughly chastening experience. With Bolton failing to score against the Greens in either league meeting and Argyle 16 points above Wanderers in the table, no one saw this coming! Bolton completely outclassed Plymouth and we were lucky to get away with conceding "only" the four. I just hope this does not derail our promotion campaign - would certainly hate to meet Bolton in a play off final!

I have a mate who now lives and works in Nottingham.Carried on supporting the Trotters through thick and thin. He's 40 this year and has decided to watch every single first team game. Yesterday was game number 49. He's writing a book about this season and all his experiences following Bolton. He's a smashing lad and I am really chuffed to bits for him - he went to the semi final against Stoke all those years ago and yesterday was pretty cathartic for him to say the least. Silly sod has text me this morning to say he's had to go in work with a very, very, very thick head!

Barnsley

Bolton on fire. Hope this knocks the stuffing out of Plymouth

When the pressure on Plymouth bottle it ,hope springs eternal

Green Army looking a bit green around the gills

Cum on Plymouth got 240 quid riding on this,

The way it’s looking now for the top six (as it was with Derby in it):
Ipswich, Reds, Bolton - all going up.
Weds, Plymouth, Derby - wheels already off or coming off.

stark reminder to anyone thinking league position makes any difference in the play offs

I said before we played Plymouth that they have it in them to completely capitulate. They've taken some hammerings this season despite being 2nd in the league and still in pole position to win the title.They also seem to get jitters for the big games. They threw away their play-off spot on the last game of last season when they got hammered by MK Dons.
I hope they carry this form into the league.

The score is hardly a surprise to anyone who saw both teams at Oakwell.

Don't forget Plymouth don't lose any points today. They get to dust themselves down and come out all guns firing next week. In fact, they'll want to show that this is a one-off

Plymouth hopefully will bottle the run in and open it up to us to push past into the top two. Can see us and Ipswich battling out for the title. Who would have thought that at the end of last season

I've blown 100 quid backed em at 7/5 thought they were a good thing, move on, back to the grindstone.

Sheffield Wednesday

Bolton showing that they'll be the team to beat on the Playoffs, nice mix of experience and youth. I think they're better than Barnsley

May end up meaning very little. Confidence hit a bit, though they've got Morecambe next which is about as good a fixture as you could hope to have to recover. Still - makes you wonder what they'd do if they wound up in the play offs.

I’m expecting Ipswich winning the league, and Bolton are the only team that worry me in the play offs. Think we’ll smash the others if we play um. 

Nice to see Lee win something, even if it is just this trophy

Plymouth fans have been taking the P out of the Owlstalk ‘meltdown’ all weekend. 

Ironic considering the monumental meltdown going on on their forum right now.

Portsmouth

Oops a f***ing daisy  Bit of a battering, they've not had many of those this season, didn't see that coming. Hey ho, a little slip up in the league too now would be welcome.

I'm generally an optimist, but got to admit, the first thing I got from that result was hoping it doesn't boost Bolton's confidence.

Hoping for the best of both points of view. Bolton slump and we replace them in the play-offs. Then, we take on and thrash a dispirited Plymouth

and from one of my favourite forums 

Sunderland

Some start by Bolton like...Plymouth have never had a kick, haway Argyle!

Plymouth work rate is on a par with their dockyard workers

If Bolton turned up like this, and like they did last season against us, they wouldn't be in this league.

Ian Evatt's looking like he's a good manager mind

Winning a final at Wembley 100 years after winning the first one at the stadium makes it even more special. 79,389 there as well, biggest attendance in Europe this weekend.

Happy for Bolton. Proper Football Club.

Oh and here's a surprise we didnt get so much of a mention on the Wigan Blackburn and Tranmere forums

22 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

I always enjoy reading these views from our opponents fans , and with yesterday being such a  high profile game i thought i would while a way an hour looking on a few of our local and play off rivals forums to see if we got a mention 

Preston

Hate him, but Evatt is doing a super job with this Bolton side. No right to be matching the other clubs in the top 6 but they’re aggressive and positive all over the pitch Very impressed

Blackpool fans will be suggesting him as their next manager……Truth is that Bolton could be swapping places with Blackpool

Blackpool

I'm no Bolton fan but a big well done to Evo (& of course their top keeper coach Matt Gilks) - now move to BFC, as you won't get promoted 🤣

Show him WHAT. Vision? Bolton took best part of 40 000 fans to Wembley and in the promotion mix. I think he's already pretty excited about Bolton's vision at the moment. Not even sure whatever vision we might have is even visible sadly 

Manchester City

But huge congratulations to Bolton for winning the Football League Trophy,in front of 80k at Wembley,yesterday. Special mention for our own James Trafford too,who was again in great form and is really making a name for himself between the sticks (Trafford made one outstanding save from Hardie in the first half that came at a crucial stage of the game. He had the confidence of a seasoned veteran)

Bet that Japanese fan that was all over the bbc sports reports pre-game who came over to support Plymouth was pissed off.

I was at Wembley in support of my home town club, Plymouth Argyle. A thoroughly chastening experience. With Bolton failing to score against the Greens in either league meeting and Argyle 16 points above Wanderers in the table, no one saw this coming! Bolton completely outclassed Plymouth and we were lucky to get away with conceding "only" the four. I just hope this does not derail our promotion campaign - would certainly hate to meet Bolton in a play off final!

I have a mate who now lives and works in Nottingham.Carried on supporting the Trotters through thick and thin. He's 40 this year and has decided to watch every single first team game. Yesterday was game number 49. He's writing a book about this season and all his experiences following Bolton. He's a smashing lad and I am really chuffed to bits for him - he went to the semi final against Stoke all those years ago and yesterday was pretty cathartic for him to say the least. Silly sod has text me this morning to say he's had to go in work with a very, very, very thick head!

Barnsley

stark reminder to anyone thinking league position makes any difference in the play offs

I said before we played Plymouth that they have it in them to completely capitulate. They've taken some hammerings this season despite being 2nd in the league and still in pole position to win the title.They also seem to get jitters for the big games. They threw away their play-off spot on the last game of last season when they got hammered by MK Dons.

Don't forget Plymouth don't lose any points today. They get to dust themselves down and come out all guns firing next week. In fact, they'll want to show that this is a one-off

Plymouth hopefully will bottle the run in and open it up to us to push past into the top two. Can see us and Ipswich battling out for the title. Who would have thought that at the end of last season

I've blown 100 quid backed em at 7/5 thought they were a good thing, move on, back to the grindstone.

Sheffield Wednesday

Bolton showing that they'll be the team to beat on the Playoffs, nice mix of experience and youth. I think they're better than Barnsley

May end up meaning very little. Confidence hit a bit, though they've got Morecambe next which is about as good a fixture as you could hope to have to recover. Still - makes you wonder what they'd do if they wound up in the play offs.

I’m expecting Ipswich winning the league, and Bolton are the only team that worry me in the play offs. Think we’ll smash the others if we play um. 

Plymouth fans have been taking the P out of the Owlstalk ‘meltdown’ all weekend. 

Portsmouth

Oops a f***ing daisy  Bit of a battering, they've not had many of those this season, didn't see that coming. Hey ho, a little slip up in the league too now would be welcome.

I'm generally an optimist, but got to admit, the first thing I got from that result was hoping it doesn't boost Bolton's confidence.

Hoping for the best of both points of view. Bolton slump and we replace them in the play-offs. Then, we take on and thrash a dispirited Plymouth

Sunderland

If Bolton turned up like this, and like they did last season against us, they wouldn't be in this league.

Winning a final at Wembley 100 years after winning the first one at the stadium makes it even more special. 79,389 there as well, biggest attendance in Europe this weekend.

Oh and here's a surprise we didnt get so much of a mention on the Wigan Blackburn and Tranmere forums

I love it when proper football clubs fans like Sunderland know we’re a proper football club…I’m sad I know but it’s great they do. Up the Trotters!! 

1 hour ago, Benny The Ball said:

Preston

Blackpool

Manchester City

Barnsley

Sheffield Wednesday

Portsmouth

Sunderland

@Marc505 this you

3 hours ago, Marc505 said:

Who knows how it will end 😀 probably be a fair while off, but hopefully finishes up with a Wembley return!

TBF Wanderers have given you some fantastic material to work with - bloody roller coaster ride watching us. Love this club.

In other news, Mexican ref gets 12 game ban for kneeing a gobby player in the nads.

• 4 months later...