Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Buying a dog

Rudy

• Members
40 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Jumping up is my dogs biggest issue. 

Again probably all my fault because hes loves a big cuddle and a scrap with his old man when I get in from work.

However when he knocks my mother in law over and brakes her glasses its not so fun :)

Likewise he jumps up at random people he sees thinking they want to play and normally scares them to death.

Any tips chaps? 

Ive tried bumming him but it makes him worse.

When he does it, say no, turn your back on him wait until they’re are back down on the ground.

Then see what he does, if he does it again, do the same,

And then if he does it a third time, walk out of the room and don’t look at him. 

It’s a bit harsh but needed. Mine isn’t a heavy or big dog but he bowled over my nephew like skittles and now hes scared of the soft sod. 
Doesnt jump up any more unless I get him to

9 minutes ago, Rudy said:

When he does it, say no, turn your back on him wait until they’re are back down on the ground.

Then see what he does, if he does it again, do the same,

And then if he does it a third time, walk out of the room and don’t look at him. 

It’s a bit harsh but needed. Mine isn’t a heavy or big dog but he bowled over my nephew like skittles and now hes scared of the soft sod. 
Doesnt jump up any more unless I get him to

With smaller dogs like Manchester Terriers or Whippets I have quickly stepped on their back paw when they are jumping up on me... they soon learn to think about it before jumping up

• Members
Just now, Dimron said:

With smaller dogs like Manchester Terriers or Whippets I have quickly stepped on their back paw when they are jumping up on me... they soon learn to think about it before jumping up

Stood on my mams “dogs” many a time

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Rudy said:

Taking a dog for a walk at 6am and you see this circle of flashing lights heading towards you is frightening.

Fuckin light up collars on dogs ffs

Haha.

Kinell, mine are spooked by them, which isn't helpful. Dunno what it does to the dogs wearing them.

3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I'd love a dog, put there's no chance I'm picking up dog shit with one of those little carrier bags over my hand. I'd probably end up spewing my guts up every time I took it for a walk. Fuck that.

Same, see them on my way to work, piss wet through walking around with a bag of dog shit. No thanks

• Members
14 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I'd love a dog, put there's no chance I'm picking up dog shit with one of those little carrier bags over my hand. I'd probably end up spewing my guts up every time I took it for a walk. Fuck that.

You'd be no good with human excrement then. Double glove. 

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, L/H White said:

Same, see them on my way to work, piss wet through walking around with a bag of dog shit. No thanks

Aye. There are few more pathetic sights than a man bending down in the rain to pick up his dogs shite, fresh and warm from it's arse, while it stands there watching him do it.

Edited by Cheese

13 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Wait till your finger pokes through one and you get shit behind your fingernail 

Windy 2 days ago and it wasn’t a great shit he had down  and the handle unbeknown to me was firmly embedded in the shit. Turned it inside out and grabbed the handles and covered in yellow shit all over my hand. Then dropped the lead in it as well. Wasn’t much fun 😬

Re the dog pulling. His harness has a loop on the front that I’ve ignored. But popped his lead on it and whilst it’s really awkward looking it works a treat. When he pulls and the lead tightens it pulls him round and to the side which he doesn’t like so he doesn’t pull. Magic. 

back on normal fixing and still pulls but less but guess he will learn and eventually just not pull.