Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Cost Of Living Crisis

gonzo

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Like a knob I put the premium diesel by mistake at our BP garage

Fucking hell

I bet they rolled a red carpet out as you walked into the shop. Came out wearing a new crown and a fur jacket.

ouch.

Edited by Spider

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I thought my 17.64p per kwh with octopus was good. 7.5p is ace. Great deal you've got there 

What is the efficiency the car- I'm getting up to 3.5m/kwh at the moment- best I've managed. 

I’ve been working with Octopus for over a year on a project and we’ve launched it now.

Have a look at the link below. I may have mentioned this system before but basically we now manufacture a hot water cylinder that is “smart” - it has sensors that constantly monitor how much hot water you have so you only heat your domestic water when you need to.

The REALLY smart part though is that the box attached to the cylinder is connected to your electricity supplier. Octopus (and more are now doing this) will reduce the kW price when the grid is overloaded.

So on a windy day, or a sunny day for example, the grid has a surplus of energy. The turbines cannot be just switched off so the price of the leccy drops to encourage people to use it.

The box detects this drop in price and heats your water. It can also charge your battery (if you have one) for pennies per kW - it’s been know you drop to -4p which means you’re being PAID to take electricity.

We are pushing towards making things smarter and reducing costs. It’s happening slowly and the Tory MP I was with last week is all over this kind of thing with Alok Sharma.

Theres a long way to go, but once the Small Modular Reactors get going (and get yerselves some shares in rolls Royce as soon as you can), prices will start to drop.

For now, and I know I’m a broke record, one of the issues is Brexit. But I can’t be arsed going into it now.

Anyway, look at this you cunts:

https://www.mixergy.co.uk

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Spider said:

I’ve been working with Octopus for over a year on a project and we’ve launched it now.

Have a look at the link below. I may have mentioned this system before but basically we now manufacture a hot water cylinder that is “smart” - it has sensors that constantly monitor how much hot water you have so you only heat your domestic water when you need to.

The REALLY smart part though is that the box attached to the cylinder is connected to your electricity supplier. Octopus (and more are now doing this) will reduce the kW price when the grid is overloaded.

So on a windy day, or a sunny day for example, the grid has a surplus of energy. The turbines cannot be just switched off so the price of the leccy drops to encourage people to use it.

The box detects this drop in price and heats your water. It can also charge your battery (if you have one) for pennies per kW - it’s been know you drop to -4p which means you’re being PAID to take electricity.

We are pushing towards making things smarter and reducing costs. It’s happening slowly and the Tory MP I was with last week is all over this kind of thing with Alok Sharma.

Theres a long way to go, but once the Small Modular Reactors get going (and get yerselves some shares in rolls Royce as soon as you can), prices will start to drop.

For now, and I know I’m a broke record, one of the issues is Brexit. But I can’t be arsed going into it now.

53 minutes ago, Spider said:

Blah, blah, blah, cut to the chase, man.

How much will it cost me?
How much will it save me?

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Spider said:

Only a few days ago wind farms were "switched off". The grid couldn't take more so they were left idle.

It's all here:

https://energyfollower.com/why-do-wind-turbines-stop/

Not sure what you're getting at there.

The smart heater is a good move though. As are smart chargers with two way functionality. 

Lots of small schemes sound comparatively expensive though - how is that likely to compare to the newer ideas of using renewable produced, green hydrogen as a means of storing energy, to be used when wind and solar aren't delivering enough?

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Only a few days ago wind farms were "switched off". The grid couldn't take more so they were left idle.

It's all here:

https://energyfollower.com/why-do-wind-turbines-stop/

Not sure what you're getting at there.

The smart heater is a good move though. As are smart chargers with two way functionality. 

Lots of small schemes sound comparatively expensive though - how is that likely to compare to the newer ideas of using renewable produced, green hydrogen as a means of storing energy, to be used when wind and solar aren't delivering enough?

It’s the grid that gets too full and power stations can’t just be switched off. The wind turbines can be but there still ends up being a surplus.

Its not a bad thing. Of course, paying people to use electricity isn’t a good business model so don’t expect that to become “a thing” in the future. However, renewable sources are already proving they can provide for us if only we can store the energy.

Im not much of a conspiracist, but the fossil people aren’t ready to let go just yet.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Spider said:

It’s the grid that gets too full and power stations can’t just be switched off. The wind turbines can be but there still ends up being a surplus.

Its not a bad thing. Of course, paying people to use electricity isn’t a good business model so don’t expect that to become “a thing” in the future. However, renewable sources are already proving they can provide for us if only we can store the energy.

Im not much of a conspiracist, but the fossil people aren’t ready to let go just yet.

That's better. You initially claimed wind turbines can't be switched off.

Anyway, for a slightly negative take on all this digitalisation:

Father in law was a power supply engineer in his time. Would design complete systems for new development projects.

He has a bit of a dim view in that by studying demand to a very close degree, they can control supply much more closely- the effect allows them to keep costs up to an extent. He's a bit of a conspiracist at times, and I think it's bollocks, but I suppose the technology would allow that, should an unscrupulous company chose to.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

That's better. You initially claimed wind turbines can't be switched off.

Anyway, for a slightly negative take on all this digitalisation:

Father in law was a power supply engineer in his time. Would design complete systems for new development projects.

He has a bit of a dim view in that by studying demand to a very close degree, they can control supply much more closely- the effect allows them to keep costs up to an extent. He's a bit of a conspiracist at times, and I think it's bollocks, but I suppose the technology would allow that, should an unscrupulous company chose to.

It’s proven to save money and reduce carbons.

Fair point about going to the n-th degree though. Ultimately, whilst power companies are private, they exist purely to make huge profits and they will find a way to do so. If governments are serious about reducing bills and carbons, they need to put power back in total government control on the understanding that profits are capped.

Can’t have it all ways

15 hours ago, Spider said:

Fucking hell, I thought I had a boring job.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Fucking hell, I thought I had a boring job.

Go easy on yourself, comparing cravats and practising shining a torch down rows of seats sounds like a thrill ride.

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Spider said:

It’s proven to save money and reduce carbons.

Fair point about going to the n-th degree though. Ultimately, whilst power companies are private, they exist purely to make huge profits and they will find a way to do so. If governments are serious about reducing bills and carbons, they need to put power back in total government control on the understanding that profits are capped.

Can’t have it all ways

Making profit isn't a dirty thing to do. We all need to make one.

The debate between government and private ownership will always be there, and will never be fully resolved. There are pros and cons to both, but to suggest that reducing bills can only happen by state ownership is folly.

The very existence of our renewables success is as a result of private companies doing their thing within a regulatory framework. 

The profits they make benefit all of us with investments. Removing that then puts more of a pension burden back on the state- so where does that funding come from- from state profits.

Swings and roundabouts. 

There is more of an argument for the rail system to be fully nationalised, as competition at any one point in time isn't there- we can only catch one train- but previous state ownership wasn't a rip roaring success neither.

Japan has a great rail system and that is completely private.

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Making profit isn't a dirty thing to do. We all need to make one.

The debate between government and private ownership will always be there, and will never be fully resolved. There are pros and cons to both, but to suggest that reducing bills can only happen by state ownership is folly.

The very existence of our renewables success is as a result of private companies doing their thing within a regulatory framework. 

The profits they make benefit all of us with investments. Removing that then puts more of a pension burden back on the state- so where does that funding come from- from state profits.

Swings and roundabouts. 

There is more of an argument for the rail system to be fully nationalised, as competition at any one point in time isn't there- we can only catch one train- but previous state ownership wasn't a rip roaring success neither.

Japan has a great rail system and that is completely private.

Japanese football fans clean the stadium before they leave.

We are not the same

Edited by Spider

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Absolutely. They don't moan all the time, have more national pride and get on with it.

Korea similar.

State nationalisation will arguably drive that even further.

Moaning is as British as a fish supper.

We take pride in it. Don’t take ourselves too seriously.

Moaning about this government is different because they’re absolute cunts.

And technically I voted them in when Big Dave was in charge. As with Brexit.

Moaning is our way of steering things down the middle.