Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Managerial Ins and Outs 2022-23

Johnnyrotten

• 2 months later...
On 10/11/2022 at 16:51, Johnnyrotten said:

It depends what defines "success" for Southampton.  They probably won't win a cup or trouble the top 8, they'll be looking over their shoulders at best like a Palace or Everton.  Then there will be a time when they're bottom 6 and lose 3 on the trot and everyone says "Jones isn't a Premiership manager".  Not saying he is or isn't, but I'll be amazed if their fans don't turn against him at some point in next 12 months.  Brighton fans were trying to get Potter out last season, if you're not top 8 in the Prem you're 3 results from big pressure if you aren't a "name".

Thought I'd revisit the manager thread, some interesting comments to look back on.

Emery not looking like any improvement on Gerrard at Villa to date.

No surprise that Jones has already been written off by Southampton fans, turning on him last week, rightly or wrongly.  If you're not a name you've no chance if you don't hit the ground running. 

Same at Huddersfield, Fotheringham predictably lasted a few months, same as Schofield before him.  Looking for their 4th manager in 7 months, they deserve to go down (with Blackpool and Wigan hopefully!).

On 02/10/2022 at 12:31, Johnnyrotten said:

Will be interesting to see if Steve Bruce and Chris Wilder survive the week.  WBA play PNE and Luton, and Boro have Birmingham and Millwall.  They can't afford any defeats surely.

I forgot Boro were 3rd bottom in October, and WBA too.  Can't argue with the jobs done by Carrick and Corberan in the last few months.  I hold my hands up I didn't think Carrick would cut it but so far it looks an inspired appointment.

59 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Carrick did OK previously as a temp in a difficult situation. 

No surprise for me.

I hold my hands up I was wrong, loads of managers have done it on a temp basis when there's no pressure, Gary O'Neill for one.  Its a different ball game when you're the one in charge of everything, from what staff you bring in to transfers to dealing with disgruntled players etc.  Fair play to Carrick.  Talking of Bournemouth/O'Neill (who I've got loads of time for), I just heard they were the 4th biggest spenders in Europe in January!  Pressure on him even more now.

1 minute ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

After his gibbering bollox following last week's defeat to Brentford, a bizarre rambling interview midweek & more bullshit tonight after losing to 10 man Wolves, how much longer can Nathan Jones survive at rock bottom Southampton ?

until tomorrow morning. The fella doesn't help himself does he?  He's got god on his side though........

4 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

After his gibbering bollox following last week's defeat to Brentford, a bizarre rambling interview midweek & more bullshit tonight after losing to 10 man Wolves, how much longer can Nathan Jones survive at rock bottom Southampton ?

He's a very, very odd man. Thought that for a few seasons, and got to be careful because I think he's probably got actual issues, but he's he's shambles.

1 hour ago, jmjhb said:

Like Tommy Robinson, he's fucking useless outside of Luton

Yes, Rob Edwards at Luton will be looking over his shoulder next time he goes a few games without a win!

Jones can enjoy Southampton paying his wages for the next year or so, and just wait for the vacancy to come up.  Shades of Darren Ferguson (Peterboro), Martin Allen (Barnet), John Sheridan (Oldham).

11 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yes, Rob Edwards at Luton will be looking over his shoulder next time he goes a few games without a win!

Jones can enjoy Southampton paying his wages for the next year or so, and just wait for the vacancy to come up.  Shades of Darren Ferguson (Peterboro), Martin Allen (Barnet), John Sheridan (Oldham).

Who’s that Ian Evatt guy - better stats than Nathan Jones

On 11/02/2023 at 12:58, Johnnyrotten said:

No surprise that Jones has already been written off by Southampton fans, turning on him last week, rightly or wrongly.  If you're not a name you've no chance if you don't hit the ground running. 

Saw Southampton earlier on this season v West Ham. They just didn't have the players. And their fans were semi deluded. So anyone with the chance of a job elsewhere won't go there.