Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile In England

royal white

I'm not sure anyone on this forum is defending the behaviour of some people today.

However, it does show the schism around nationality and what we believe that to be.

I'm English, yeah my great nana (who served in the Flying Shuttle in the 60s when it was a decent pub) was from the east end of Glasgow like many who moved for work.

But my sense of nationality isn't defined by a flag its some other, its a culture I was born and raised into. Its in humour, and music and slate grey skies, it's in acceptance and in involvement and pride that I was lucky enough to be born I a country where I have free education, free healthcare and freedom of speech, that was built on some historically dubious premises but still I'm 2024 I'm benefitting from.

• Site Supporter

People get too obsessed with the “ he’s not English he’s Turkish “ or whatever. 
that’s not the point, he’s a saint , the Patron saint of England ,it’s a religious day so the day is celebrated in England , and should be . 
Jesus wasnt English  but there’s loads worship him in England 

religious festivals don’t hold the same party style celebrations in Protestant cultures generally historically due to idolatry, so would be more refined service rather than marching around with statues etc and wild parties , probably why St George’s day traditionally a bit low key along with the fact England and the English nationality had never really been under threat or the under dog so the need to demonstrate who they are was never felt required as it was with other nations , Ireland and st Patrick’s day is a good example of the difference there being the exact opposite. 
( though the pubs used to be closed on st Patrick’s day and it was the diaspora gathering started the drinking reputation for the day) 
maybe people feel their culture is being taken away more these days, whether that be immigrants, “ wokeism” or whatever and want to demonstrate they are still English 

maybe people want to show there still an England even if the England they are celebrating never really existed anyway , more one they want to exist , who knows 

National days are usually independence days too, which England has never had nor needed to celebrate. 

end of the day, people being patriotic, having a few beers and celebrating what they perceive as good about England , no matter what they’re dressed in is no harm , as with everything it’s the line between being proud of where you are from and hating anyone not from where you are from that get blurred with some . 

3 minutes ago, fatolive said:

that’s not the point, he’s a saint , the Patron saint of England ,it’s a religious day so the day is celebrated in England , and should be . 

religious festivals don’t hold the same party style celebrations in Protestant cultures generally historically due to idolatry, so would be more refined service rather than marching around with statues etc and wild parties , probably why St George’s day traditionally a bit low key along with the fact England and the English nationality had never really been under threat or the under dog so the need to demonstrate who they are was never felt required as it was with other nations , Ireland and st Patrick’s day is a good example of the difference there being the exact opposite. 
( though the pubs used to be closed on st Patrick’s day and it was the diaspora gathering started the drinking reputation for the day) 
maybe people feel their culture is being taken away more these days, whether that be immigrants, “ wokeism” or whatever and want to demonstrate they are still English 

maybe people want to show there still an England even if the England they are celebrating never really existed anyway , more one they want to exist , who knows 

National days are usually independence days too, which England has never had nor needed to celebrate. 

end of the day, people being patriotic, having a few beers and celebrating what they perceive as good about England , no matter what they’re dressed in is no harm , as with everything it’s the line between being proud of where you are from and hating anyone not from where you are from that get blurred with some . 

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, fatolive said:

So basically loads of deluded cunts pretending there's more to "being English" than just being born in England. What "culture" do these people think is being 'taken away' from them?

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Cheese said:

So basically loads of deluded cunts pretending there's more to "being English" than just being born in England. What "culture" do these people think is being 'taken away' from them?

No idea mate , but I’m not saying it is, I’m saying why St George’s day may be playing” catch  up “ with other national festivals as people perceive it more these days than they used to do with a few examples of why I THINK that . 
it’s a rambling musing, not a statement of fact, just my thoughts 

• Site Supporter
Just now, fatolive said:

No idea mate , but I’m not saying it is, I’m saying why St George’s day may be playing” catch  up “ with other national festivals as people perceive it more these days than they used to do with a few examples of why I THINK that . 
it’s a rambling musing, not a statement of fact, just my thoughts 

Fair enough.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Maybe we ought to start a campaign to reinstate Saint Edmund as Patron Saint of England. 

It would probably mean reinstating his  white dragon flag as the English flag too though. 

imagine the damage Nike could do with that …

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

I'm not sure anyone on this forum is defending the behaviour of some people today.

However, it does show the schism around nationality and what we believe that to be.

I'm English, yeah my great nana (who served in the Flying Shuttle in the 60s when it was a decent pub) was from the east end of Glasgow like many who moved for work.

But my sense of nationality isn't defined by a flag its some other, its a culture I was born and raised into. Its in humour, and music and slate grey skies, it's in acceptance and in involvement and pride that I was lucky enough to be born I a country where I have free education, free healthcare and freedom of speech, that was built on some historically dubious premises but still I'm 2024 I'm benefitting from.

Yeah, I'd be happy to celebrate that England as opposed to a saint that probably didn't exist

People dressing as Crusaders though. That was 900 years ago. 

Edited by jmjhb

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

Take notes on a footy forum 😁 you been on the golden ale today?

Similar number of arrests at the last Pro Palestine demo as there was at the St George one today. Shows pretty balanced policing to be fair.

I’m sure that the majority on both were there peacefully 👍

Not sure why you refer to the St George celebrations as Demos and protests? What were they protesting? 

Edited by royal white

• Members
12 hours ago, Big E said:

Fucking grim that these bellends exist 

Really? Grimmer than the London Bridge attackers / perpetrators of 7/7 / Lee Rigbys beheaders?

Would agree that there may not be a surfeit of grey matter in that assembly but I would much prefer to have millions more like them in circulation in the UK than the perpetrators of the atrocities mentioned or the criminals crossing the Channel.

Forgot for a moment. Owen Glendower more your thing eh?

• Members
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

Isn't a saint a religious thing? Are you religious?

Also George who is regarded as Turkish never killed a dragon as they never really existed in that form 

What's to be English about?

If you have no idea what England has contributed to the world then you are a bigger fucking idiot than I thought you were.

Edited by bolty58

• Members
7 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

St Patrick wasn't born in Ireland. 

Yet no bugger seems bothered.

Countries all over the world celebrate their nation/culture in all manner of ways, and are happy to do so.

Only the usual progressive group-thinkers telling folk what they have to believe, how to think and to be anti-English as that's the only way to atone.

I've not put a flag out, been to a party or done anything specific to the day, but it doesn't mean I look down on those that have.

All the best to them.

Well said sir.

• Members
5 hours ago, fatolive said:

And again. Very well said.

• Members
6 hours ago, fatolive said:

An interesting post

1 minute ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

An interesting post

It's a good one.

For me it all need taking away from pisspots in chain mail singing in pubs.

Make it a proper day of respect and celebration. 

Get every school at it with parties and stuff or even make it a bank holiday and get a bit of pomp going.

Leave it to the masses and apathy reigns. Especially on a Tuesday in the middle of recession with the country going down the pan.

The establishment should do more.

I dunno - its just not, and never has been, part of our culture because of Britain and us being the dominate country in what is the United Kingdom.

I personally don't, and never have felt the need to do anything on St George's day and I'm pretty sure that won't change through my lifetime. 

When my kids were are primary school they always did something for St George's day - same for St David's, St Andrews and St Patrick's 

Unfortunately the st George's Cross has once again become an emblem of right wing bigots - shame as I thought that had changed in the mid 90s. 

But again, all this goes back to England trying to find its place in a post Empire, post Brexit world. I'm pretty sure in 20 years when the next generation is starting to be in charge, the boomers have mostly died and Gen X retired or approaching retirement then things will shift.

2 hours ago, gonzo said:

It's a good one.

For me it all need taking away from pisspots in chain mail singing in pubs.

Make it a proper day of respect and celebration. 

Get every school at it with parties and stuff or even make it a bank holiday and get a bit of pomp going.

Leave it to the masses and apathy reigns. Especially on a Tuesday in the middle of recession with the country going down the pan.

The establishment should do more.

Forced fun isn’t fun. 

I went to St. George’s for 5 years. We never did anything to celebrate. (Got married at St. Edmunds so covered all bases)

If people want to celebrate, let them. Like the La La Land thread, whatever floats your boat. Seems to trigger some though. 

57 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

I went to St. George’s for 5 years. We never did anything to celebrate. (Got married at St. Edmunds so covered all bases)

If people want to celebrate, let them. Like the La La Land thread, whatever floats your boat. Seems to trigger some though. 

Crying shame what they did to that school. 

21 minutes ago, royal white said:

Crying shame what they did to that school. 

Story of my life.

St Joseph’s- gone

St. George’s- gone

Metal Box- gone

Bolton Technical College - gone

BIT- chopped in half

Hick Hargreaves - gone

Bolton Business Centre - gone

My old shop is going strong as a great cafe though.😊