Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tour De France

maaarsh

Alaphilippe won the polled dot jersey last year didn’t he, I’m new to it all but I’d have thought that to mean he can climb a bit although I appreciate it’s not an exact science 

20/1 to 4/1 tells me the bookies are having a re think 

Nothing to say GT doesn’t have another incident / mechanical either 

Bernal lost a good minute today 

Edited by birch-chorley

He can climb in shorter, sharp bursts but I don’t think he’ll be able to keep up with the sustained climbing tempo that Ineos will set on the monster climbs and which some of the other GC contenders can handle.

For the king of the mountains you do need to be able to handle climbs, but often it’s won by people getting into break aways to snaffle points at the front of the race and then dropping back once you’ve collected them. The current polka dot jersey is Wellens and he is using that method. He is miles ahead in the climbing points standings but lies 88th out of 165 in the overall standings, about 1hr 15 behind Alaphilippe.

Don’t get me wrong, you are 100% right that Alaphilippe has made a massive statement, hence the odds dropping. But taking a step back (and ignoring the past odds) as things currently stand he is 4/1 and Thomas is 4/7. The bookies aren't really looking beyond Thomas. It wouldn’t surprise me if Alaphilippe didn’t make the podium.

Where is Jules with his cycling posts?

Some big mountain stages next week, I think Thomas will be more confident than Alaphilippe because it is going to need a big team effort. Next Friday and Saturday the tour comes within a couple of miles of us, some massive climbs on both days especially the finish in Tignes on Friday.

14 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Alaphilippe won the polled dot jersey last year didn’t he, I’m new to it all but I’d have thought that to mean he can climb a bit although I appreciate it’s not an exact science 

20/1 to 4/1 tells me the bookies are having a re think 

Nothing to say GT doesn’t have another incident / mechanical either 

Bernal lost a good minute today 

Bernal is now fifth, behind Mas who is the second man in Alaphilippe's team, so there is scope for Mas (1min 18 behind Thomas) to push on and put pressure on Thomas to react too early. He is unlikely to fall for that but it is certainly becoming interesting. I suspect tomorrow will be the most dramatic day (at least so far).

15 hours ago, Jol_BWFC said:

He can climb in shorter, sharp bursts but I don’t think he’ll be able to keep up with the sustained climbing tempo that Ineos will set on the monster climbs and which some of the other GC contenders can handle.

For the king of the mountains you do need to be able to handle climbs, but often it’s won by people getting into break aways to snaffle points at the front of the race and then dropping back once you’ve collected them. The current polka dot jersey is Wellens and he is using that method. He is miles ahead in the climbing points standings but lies 88th out of 165 in the overall standings, about 1hr 15 behind Alaphilippe.

Don’t get me wrong, you are 100% right that Alaphilippe has made a massive statement, hence the odds dropping. But taking a step back (and ignoring the past odds) as things currently stand he is 4/1 and Thomas is 4/7. The bookies aren't really looking beyond Thomas. It wouldn’t surprise me if Alaphilippe didn’t make the podium.

Where is Jules with his cycling posts?

:D

Tour of Britain is coming through Marple this year n all

Thomas

Bernal

Pinot  

Get yer money on it now.           

Fantastic ride by Simon Yates today. He'll bag a further stage when they reach the alps. Thursday and Friday will sort the wheat from the chaff. Alaphilippe  to finish nearer 10th than 1st.

5 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

The French were right about the Sky money ruining their biggest sporting event.The first year after the Sky train has fucked off and its the best race in years.I hope Alaphilippe holds on

Just changed the name to Ineos and turned up without the best grand tour rider in recent history mate. Apart from that, nothing has changed.

4 minutes ago, Offshore said:

Just changed the name to Ineos and turned up without the best grand tour rider in recent history mate. Apart from that, nothing has changed.

Fair does will take your word for it. Only watched it yesterday and today in the mountains, last year the leading group was packed with SKy riders controlling the race and neutralising attacks.Ineos didn't have the numbers at the front today.