Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, tomy taylor said:

I think that’s the issue.

In the UK taking the knee did start with BLM, particularly in the Premier League when it was accompanied by shirts with it on the back and banners all over the stands.

From that point on trying to disassociate knee taking with BLM is very difficult. 

It really isn't.

If you actually listen to what these lads are saying, I think you'd realise it's a way of drawing attention to the fact that they are still being called fucking monkeys in 2021 for missing a penalty. Probably by people who accuse Islam of being stone age.

It's grotesque. 

I don’t think anyone would disagree that the online abuse received is/was horrendous and has no place in our society. It’s an issue that is rightfully being highlighted and tackled.

But there is obviously an issue of (at least) some people in the UK associating taking the knee with BLM which distracts from the wider issue. We know this, which is why it’s been discussed for more than a year. 

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, tomy taylor said:

I don’t think anyone would disagree that the online abuse received is/was horrendous and has no place in our society. It’s an issue that is rightfully being highlighted and tackled.

But there is obviously an issue of (at least) some people in the UK associating taking the knee with BLM which distracts from the wider issue. We know this, which is why it’s been discussed for more than a year. 

What should they do then?

A handstand? A cartwheel?

Kick it Out was ineffective. If you want to grab attention, you grab headlines. 

I'm sure they've taken a lead from BLM, but so what? It has been made clear and obvious they they are targeting racism, not the american police.

If you can't see that, I can't help you. It requires a leap of thought that doesn't involve looking backwards.

I'm sure the lads would be grateful of an alternative that would garner the same attention as bending down for 3 seconds.

• Site Supporter
46 minutes ago, Spider said:

What should they do then?

A handstand? A cartwheel?

Kick it Out was ineffective. If you want to grab attention, you grab headlines. 

I'm sure they've taken a lead from BLM, but so what? It has been made clear and obvious they they are targeting racism, not the american police.

If you can't see that, I can't help you. It requires a leap of thought that doesn't involve looking backwards.

I'm sure the lads would be grateful of an alternative that would garner the same attention as bending down for 3 seconds.

Wasn’t the taking of a knee first done by (mostly black) American sportsmen (and, I assume, women) as a way of dishonouring the US National Anthem? It wound up the rest of the American people. Strange then that the same stance was chosen by footballers.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Wasn’t the taking of a knee first done by (mostly black) American sportsmen (and, I assume, women) as a way of dishonouring the US National Anthem? It wound up the rest of the American people. Strange then that the same stance was chosen by footballers.

Quite honestly I’m not arsed enough to really go on about it for hours on end.

Racism is for knuckledraggers. I suspect that no amount of kneeling, campaigning, posturing or protesting will stop someone being racist.

Its actually up to Twitter and the like to stop it being allowed on their platforms. Take away anonymity and you take away 99% of the problem.

If kneeling upsets folk, that’s up to them. Stop being so fucking offended

6 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Just stop twitter full stop. It's full of twats. 

I've heard there are actually full grown adults go on there as well, believe it or not. I thought it was mainly for kids to "follow" popstars and footballers, but apparently full grown adults go on there, even worse like a kid would, they crave followers and to be "followed". It's all very odd behaviour.

Sadly, the likes of SkySports and GB News now actually use it as a platform for their news broadcast......which is even more alarming. "There is currently mass genocide occuring in some part of the world, let's see what BigNob69 from Walsall thinks about it"

5 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I've heard there are actually full grown adults go on there as well, believe it or not. I thought it was mainly for kids to "follow" popstars and footballers, but apparently full grown adults go on there, even worse like a kid would, they crave followers and to be "followed". It's all very odd behaviour.

Sadly, the likes of SkySports and GB News now actually use it as a platform for their news broadcast......which is even more alarming. "There is currently mass genocide occuring in some part of the world, let's see what BigNob69 from Walsall thinks about it"

Ehsacly

It's a race to the bottom is twitter. Absolute shite. 

Not like the well reasoned debate on here. 

• Site Supporter

Twitter has its uses.

Unfortunately, it’s like Facebook (I’m currently banned for the 5th time this year) in as much as it allows everyone to contribute. Humans are fucking rank.

• Site Supporter

Twitter is strange and it’s effects on people as said above. News channels report what is said on their as if it’s important, it is really bizarre. 

Think it’s generational to an extent, I was discussing something with my lad, think it was something around a transfer a few years ago, I heard it on the BBC NW news, he said “ well there’s nowt on Twitter about it , so will wait and see” 

in my opinion, I would wait til I heard it on the news after reading on Twitter   But he would go to Twitter to check something he’d heard on the BBC. 

Not really that important but relevant enough  to check if I can post again after eventually being able to log back in ! 

19 minutes ago, fatolive said:

Twitter is strange and it’s effects on people as said above. News channels report what is said on their as if it’s important, it is really bizarre. 

Think it’s generational to an extent, I was discussing something with my lad, think it was something around a transfer a few years ago, I heard it on the BBC NW news, he said “ well there’s nowt on Twitter about it , so will wait and see” 

in my opinion, I would wait til I heard it on the news after reading on Twitter   But he would go to Twitter to check something he’d heard on the BBC. 

Not really that important but relevant enough  to check if I can post again after eventually being able to log back in ! 

Yeah so jack dorsey is a massive stupid beard weilding power grabbing bell end. 

Don't give him the time of day. Fuck twitter off.

Follow people you know personally. Stop being pissed off and outraged by people you don't even know exist. 

Same with Zuckerberg and insta. If you don't know the people personally you're pretty much a stalker. 

Even better... Fuck it all off! 

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Yeah so jack dorsey is a massive stupid beard weilding power grabbing bell end. 

Don't give him the time of day. Fuck twitter off.

Follow people you know personally. Stop being pissed off and outraged by people you don't even know exist. 

Same with Zuckerberg and insta. If you don't know the people personally you're pretty much a stalker. 

Even better... Fuck it all off! 

To be honest I don’t know who Jack Dorsey is, I,m  not pissed off or outraged , but if it’s general advice to all rather than me, then yeh I agree totally with the above 

only really follow grassroots coaches and general  football stuff and for some inexplicable reason, Neil Bonnar ...

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Spider said:

Twitter has its uses.

Unfortunately, it’s like Facebook (I’m currently banned for the 5th time this year) in as much as it allows everyone to contribute. Humans are fucking rank.

Facebook is vile, twitter is worse!

"If you have a different opinion you're scum" seems to be the currebt thing. Debate yesterday doing the rounds was about life time bans for racists,  which I'm pretty dead against as society needs room to grow... a lifetime ban does not allow for that..

Needless to say it's being mooted by predominately armchair fans that don't get the whole "going to the match" culture and realistically what they are saying with s lifetime ban. All for a ban, but lifetime's just a knee jerk reaction. People need to be able to change their ways etc..

Anyway.. the rules of social media state that I'm just as bad for being against lifetime bans..

Social media   "if you're not with us, you're against us"

1 hour ago, only1swanny said:

Facebook is vile, twitter is worse!

"If you have a different opinion you're scum" seems to be the currebt thing. Debate yesterday doing the rounds was about life time bans for racists,  which I'm pretty dead against as society needs room to grow... a lifetime ban does not allow for that..

Needless to say it's being mooted by predominately armchair fans that don't get the whole "going to the match" culture and realistically what they are saying with s lifetime ban. All for a ban, but lifetime's just a knee jerk reaction. People need to be able to change their ways etc..

Anyway.. the rules of social media state that I'm just as bad for being against lifetime bans..

Social media   "if you're not with us, you're against us"

Deleted my Facebook app last night having a break from it. Sick of one cause after another being rammed repeatedly down my throat. 

8 hours ago, fatolive said:

To be honest I don’t know who Jack Dorsey is, I,m  not pissed off or outraged , but if it’s general advice to all rather than me, then yeh I agree totally with the above 

only really follow grassroots coaches and general  football stuff and for some inexplicable reason, Neil Bonnar ...

Yeah not at you personally. 

I used to use twitter for similar stuff to you but pied it off all together because it's just bobbins. 

If you're not with us you are against us is bang on. Seems to be the way of the world, not just on twitter either. 

People see allowed different views on politics. There is room for reasoned debate but not sure which room it is anymore! 

1 hour ago, Spider said:

England players have refused to attend a Downing St reception because they think Boris is a cunt.

They're a better opposition than Labour these days.

If footballers want to cut ties to the government, then the FA should follow suit and reject the £30m funding they get each year. 

32 minutes ago, tomy taylor said:

If footballers want to cut ties to the government, then the FA should follow suit and reject the £30m funding they get each year. 

Agreed. And this is why politics should be left out of sport. This England team, management, FA can all fuck off, finished with watching them. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Agreed. And this is why politics should be left out of sport. This England team, management, FA can all fuck off, finished with watching them. 

The way I understand democracy is that those footballers all get to vote at elections.

Part of this process is developing a political opinion that allows you to choose at the ballot box.

Are you suggesting that because they just kick a ball about they shouldn’t have a political opinion?

likewise, politicians are entitled to criticise the performances of these footballers.

Why should they be forced to shake hands with a man they despise so he can score political points off their achievements?

Maybe you misunderstand democracy.

1 hour ago, Spider said:

The way I understand democracy is that those footballers all get to vote at elections.

Part of this process is developing a political opinion that allows you to choose at the ballot box.

Are you suggesting that because they just kick a ball about they shouldn’t have a political opinion?

likewise, politicians are entitled to criticise the performances of these footballers.

Why should they be forced to shake hands with a man they despise so he can score political points off their achievements?

Maybe you misunderstand democracy.

Misunderstanding democracy?! I refer you to the period 2017-19 when various people in this country sought to undermine the result of a nationwide referendum on June 23, 2016. It was the most startling and glaring example of "misunderstanding democracy" in the modern history of this country. 

When it comes to misunderstanding democracy - this is the standout event by some considerable margin (Adonis, Grieve, Gauke, Swinson). 

Any debate about "misunderstanding democracy" will use this appalling period in our history as its yardstick both now and for many years to come.

2 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Misunderstanding democracy?! I refer you to the period 2017-19 when various people in this country sought to undermine the result of a nationwide referendum on June 23, 2016. It was the most startling and glaring example of "misunderstanding democracy" in the modern history of this country. 

When it comes to misunderstanding democracy - this is the standout event by some considerable margin (Adonis, Grieve, Gauke, Swinson). 

Any debate about "misunderstanding democracy" will use this appalling period in our history as its yardstick both now and for many years to come.

Fucking hell, I know you said that you thought you would never get over it.......but just maybe it's time to try and let it go.

Brexit happened, you won, be happy.

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

If Bolton players continue to kneel before the game will you be finished with BWFC too?

• Members
2 hours ago, tomy taylor said:

😂 The premier league alone makes the government £3billion The government need football more than the other way around 

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’m sure they’ll be gutted

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Good. That's your right fella. Always admired folk who have the balls to make a stand and go ahead with a boycott. We'll be expecting no comments or watching of games during the 2022 World Cup then?

Politics and sport have an incredible history. I can't understand why folk think someone shouldn't express an opinion because they're an athlete. Just disagree with them if you don't like what they're saying, but why take away their freedom of expression? 

No doubt Paul will be along in a mo to link all this to the period 2017 - 2019.