Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Birmingham City Home

RUREADY2ROLL

How the fuck have we managed to sign Olkowski?

He is genuinely a class above.

Absolute master stroke from PP, KA or whoever but my word he’s superb. Feel a bit sorry for Little who I don’t think has done much wrong.

Great proper championship win tonight. I said at the weekend, it feels like we have a team “equipped” for championship football finally.

Ameobi, what a brilliant cameo and Buckley not far behind him.

Loads to improve - Beevers’ distribution; decision making from the wide men who started; learning how to play with Oztumer; the crowd not panicking when we go sideways for a bit.....but all in all got to be delighted with that result and where we are in the league.

I still think mid-table is a realistic aim, but how nice does it feel right now to be a white? :D

Surprised how many think O’Neill had a great game, I thought he was ok and made some good interceptions etc but he lost the ball so many times which put us in trouble quite a lot. He’s a good player to have around and have liked his energy when coming off the bench for the last 30 minutes but I’m not having him as a starter.

Very impressed with Lowe, does everything you expect from him and always seems to be in the right place, he can occasionally pick a pass too which goes a bit unnoticed.

1st half was terrible, we looked completely lost of ideas as soon as we realised that Magennis wouldn’t win the majority of headers, poor Oztumer could not get anyone to give him the ball when he was finding space. The centre backs, as good as they are at defending (which became more and more important and impressive as the game went on) really didn’t help the cause in the 1st half.

Wildschut wasn’t too impressive, I’m hoping he’s still finding his feet (although his goals return isn’t bad) but he looked like a sprinter that was learning to play football. You can see he scares defenders but it seems to work best trying to put him in behind rather than give it him to feet and expect him to do something.

Olkowski is class. That winger is a good player and beat him once or twice in the first half for pace but he soon learned how to deal with him and we hardly saw the winger from about 30 minutes onwards. He’s fairly quick, strong in the tackle and good on the ball, how we’ve managed to pick him up I’ll never know.

Ameobi changed the game, when he fancies it he’s a class above anything we have. You can see the other players relax and start to play because they know they have an outball who can take the pressure off them, he also stretches the play and opens up space, it’s no coincidence that Oztumer looked like a different player as soon as he came on. Buckley to be fair looked good too, he was an improvement on Wildschut and was unlucky not to score.

I don’t think we’re far off being a decent team, Ameobi is critical and I think we still need a ‘dynamic’ centre mid next to Lowe, which may be Murphy but I’ve not see enough of him yet. I do also think there needs to be a change in approach from the centre backs, I don’t want them trying to be city, I’d hate to see Wheater and Beevers take risks, but there is a happy medium and I don’t think we can really start to get our foot on the ball at home without them 2 trying to get the ball into midfield - although you can’t fault them defensively at all.

How the fuck have we managed to sign Olkowski?

He is genuinely a class above.

Absolute master stroke from PP, KA or whoever but my word he’s superb. Feel a bit sorry for Little who I don’t think has done much wrong.

6/10 in The Bolton News, bring back Iles FFS!

It’s just a huge change seeing everyone talking about us positively in this division.

Been a while since we’ve been on this end of table in the Championship!

In relation to the crowd, yeah it was quite poor, ticket prices didn’t help either.

Let’s hope it’s better on Saturday. Definitely wasn’t below 10k, just looked our standard 13/14k hardcore.

Edited by Lostock Whites

If ever there was a result which showed the small but steady steps of progress than that was it

2 dour games against them in 6 months, not much quality from either side, very few clear cut chances but we lost the first and got the win here

Those small victories over the course of a season will stand us in great stead overall

Good points, it's the fine margins. It was exactly the same v Sheff utd last season, should have been a draw but we lost to a scrappy early goal.

Onto the next challenge.

• Moderators

Ameobi and Buckley to start the next game

Noone was anonymous, whilst Wildschut strikes me as a player better running on to the ball rather than with it, Def a good one to bring on away from home

We defended well enough but Brum will felt hard done by

That Jota was the best player on the pitch by a mile, that's what 6m gets you in this league, that said I had to check who he was and was surprised to see they bought him from Brentford!

League looks good, just don't want Sheff Utd to be the first team to beat us

Ameobi and Buckley to start the next game

Noone was anonymous, whilst Wildschut strikes me as a player better running on to the ball rather than with it, Def a good one to bring on away from home

We defended well enough but Brum will felt hard done by

That Jota was the best player on the pitch by a mile, that's what 6m gets you in this league, that said I had to check who he was and was surprised to see they bought him from Brentford!

League looks good, just don't want Sheff Utd to be the first team to beat us

Why did Brentford sell him? He did look v good indeed.

The spirit we have at the moment is superb. We had to dig deep tonight and I thought all the defence and Alnwick were very good.

Oztumer was quiet but showed enough neat touches and passes to give us a glimpse of the quality he possesses. Jota was excellent for them, I was sick of the sight of him.

Beevers would be the only player ever to score zero in a game for pass completion if it weren't for a couple of little sideways balls to Wheater when they'd retreated. Defended doggedly late on but puts us back under pressure half the time with his nine irons to nowhere

Interestingly the stats have shown, that Beevers had a pass completion of just 52%, compared to Wheater, who had 89%

Somebody really does need to teach Beevers about composure, and do some passing drills!

Sammy Ameobi. Enough said.

That man changed the game completely.

I lost count of how many teams he beat the opposition defenders.

I have to pinch myself that not only does he play for us in our current financial situation, but he joined us in div 1. Up there with my all time favourites, and I watched George Oghani.