Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

• Site Supporter
37 minutes ago, green genie said:

Serious bit of kit that. Places I described before are long day trip distance and smaller ones youd be mooring and using tender. May be worth considering trip with stop in Falmouth to get around Lizard and St Ives .

PS first thing to know in sailing lessons is why its called a boom

It’s a lovely boat. I know I could buy a fucking nice house for what they paid for it. They’re planning to sail round to Mallorca next summer.

I’ll have a look at your suggestions, think they’re happy to moor up and use the rib if needs be.

10 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Another stonking set of numbers.

Talk of zero deaths by the end of April......

People will be demanding freedom

Very good figures today. The vaccine is closing the door to transmission and fighting back against serious illness and death caused by COVID. 

Still not the time to get giddy and a lot of folk talking up the Summer. My current thought is that by late Summer we'll be largely back to normal and this Autumn will be very different to last.

The one big catch, of course, is the variants.

2 minutes ago, royal white said:

Social media is full of folk harping on about the vaccine passport. Is anyone really that arsed if it’s introduced or not? 

It isn’t a good idea.

At the moment, it could discriminate, with very little reason or reward, against those who have been unable to be vaccinated (young folks)

If we wait until everyone has been jabbed, then there’s no point, as we’ve all been vaccinated. 

Foreign travel might be different, as there are some risks in bringing in some variant and we are in the hands of other countries, who may wish to impose restrictions.

1 minute ago, boltondiver said:

It isn’t a good idea.

At the moment, it could discriminate, with very little reason or reward, against those who have been unable to be vaccinated (young folks)

If we wait until everyone has been jabbed, then there’s no point, as we’ve all been vaccinated. 

Foreign travel might be different, as there are some risks in bringing in some variant and we are in the hands of other countries, who may wish to impose restrictions.

Yes I get Them points and that’s fair enough, however a lot of people are posting about being controlled, whatever the fuck that is, I thought it was just 1 or 2 not rights at first but there seems to be thousands of them. 

3 minutes ago, royal white said:

Yes I get Them points and that’s fair enough, however a lot of people are posting about being controlled, whatever the fuck that is, I thought it was just 1 or 2 not rights at first but there seems to be thousands of them. 

All this stuff about becoming a bio state or similar? Thin end of the wedge, blah?

clearly, we need to return to being a liberal democracy ASAP, but we have to entrust our elected leaders to maintain the right balance.

• Members
5 minutes ago, royal white said:

One of them is probably the security guard at my work who says the lateral flow tests cause cancer

The people I've seen moan about it most are American libertarians who have never left their state

Whilst I don't think it should be mandatory, it should be at the discretion of every individual business what they want to do.

Edited by jmjhb

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, royal white said:

It's self evident in the opening sentence. What they've been explaining for a while. We may need a top up of a modified vaccines to account for variants.

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

It isn’t a good idea.

Less than 60% vaccination in some communities. 

We touched upon the usefulness or otherwise of these passports before and it does beg the question what's the point if vast majority are vaccinated. 

If quite a number remain unvaccinated, the authorities may look at it seriously, as a potential means of keeping the cases down. Time till tell, though I get the feeling they'd rather not.

20 minutes ago, royal white said:

Have a cross reference to different local paper FB news feed and see the common themes and text. Bots and lots of them