Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Laptop suggestions

bolton_blondie

• Members

With me starting Uni in April, I'm guessing I'm going to need a laptop. Do I need all singing and dancing or will a basic one suffice? I'm hoping I won't need to do a 2nd job to pay for everything. Or can we start a go fund me from you lot, seeing you're all millionaires. 

Cheers 

27 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

With me starting Uni in April, I'm guessing I'm going to need a laptop. Do I need all singing and dancing or will a basic one suffice? I'm hoping I won't need to do a 2nd job to pay for everything. Or can we start a go fund me from you lot, seeing you're all millionaires. 

Cheers 

Bog standard, hard wearing, long lasting, cheaper and will do all the basics. I'd go Dell. Cheap to fix as well, but certainly not all signing all dancing.

It'll do you for Uni and Work.

• Site Supporter

You can easily get a decent refurbished laptop running Windows 10 for less than 200 quid if you go to a local Computer repair shop with a decent reputation. As long as you're not expecting to play games on it, it'll be more than good enough for Uni work. The brand name is pretty irrelevant these days.

• Site Supporter

The nuisance these days is having to pay a subscription to Microsoft 365 so you can use all the MS Office apps. Although students might get if for free? I'm not sure. I'm certain there are ways round it, but I've been out of the loop for a few years. OpenOffice is a free and decent alternative, but it's not 100% compatible, so you could end up spending ages on a document or presentation, then you open it in Word/Powerpoint, and bits of it are fucked or missing entirely.

8 minutes ago, Cheese said:

The nuisance these days is having to pay a subscription to Microsoft 365 so you can use all the MS Office apps. Although students might get if for free? I'm not sure. I'm certain there are ways round it, but I've been out of the loop for a few years. OpenOffice is a free and decent alternative, but it's not 100% compatible, so you could end up spending ages on a document or presentation, then you open it in Word/Powerpoint, and bits of it are fucked or missing entirely.

Like he says but hopefully you can get student code for MS office 365 else £60/yr

Wirth asking Uni what they will be expecting work to be carried out in because a Chromebook using their office suite would be cheaper alternative.

Or book it as an overhead on OnlyFans account 

Have a look at or word with Ste at laptop repair hut on chorley old road. I know Ste, he's a good honest lad who won't be trying to advise you to get anything you don't need. He gets a lot of ex NHS laptops in, who must have to change them after a couple of years and refurbs them, got one from him for the Mrs for doing her online courses for work, It is bang on for that. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, boogs said:

Have a look at or word with Ste at laptop repair hut on chorley old road. I know Ste, he's a good honest lad who won't be trying to advise you to get anything you don't need. He gets a lot of ex NHS laptops in, who must have to change them after a couple of years and refurbs them, got one from him for the Mrs for doing her online courses for work, It is bang on for that. 

^ That's exactly the sort of place you should go to.

3 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Bog standard, hard wearing, long lasting, cheaper and will do all the basics. I'd go Dell. Cheap to fix as well, but certainly not all signing all dancing.

It'll do you for Uni and Work.

I bought one recently but it kept singing at me.

Knew I shouldn’t have bought Adell

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Your Uni will usually give you a student version of MS Office for free. 

And honest - if all you are doing is browsing and writing - you just need something basic. 

Congrats on uni by the way. What are you studying? 

Yeah a student version of office can be had for nowt.

Get a refurbished one from a local pc repair place like advised above, you don't need anything fancy.

1 hour ago, Traf said:

you can 'buy' Office cheaply enough at places like Ovokeys

All our W10/11 and office are through M365 Premium accounts. But I need owt like Visio I use CJS Keys:

Home & Student Office 2019 key  £9.49 https://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/products/Microsoft-Office-Home-and-Student-2019-CD-Key-(Digital-Download).html

Pro is £17.99 for pro key  :) https://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/products/Microsoft-Office-Home-and-Student-2019-CD-Key-(Digital-Download).html

Edited by C86
Need to put glasses on