Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

I. D. For voting

Spider

23 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Nope - but please carry on - I'm enjoying your defence of this.

Can set your clock by it.

My clock or yours. 

Not sure what you mean to be honest. Are you saying that 2/3 thirds of those eligible to vote that choose not to is anything else but apathy?

If it’s detrimental to Labours cause, why haven’t  they been pushing the means to vote since it was announced in January? It really isn’t difficult.

• Site Supporter

My neighbour works in polling stations.

She reckons it's high time they were introduced, and doesn't undertand why they weren't ages ago.

Has continual training and plenty of stories from some areas where it is believed fraud may be rife. Must be wrong then.

Nothing to stop folk applying for i.d. if they can be bothered.

Still, moaners can always protest and not vote.

• Site Supporter

To be honest, I can’t think of a single reason why we shouldn’t be made to identify ourselves when we vote.

How do we know fraud hasn’t been going on for years?

Every time I go to vote, I can see the Reams of names and addresses on the sheet. Wouldn’t be hard for me to go 2 or 3 times and vote using different names.

I get why folk are pissed off at the means of ID being allowed, but that’s Tories being Tory. That can be sorted.

But we should be being checked for something so utterly essential.

11 minutes ago, Spider said:

I get why folk are pissed off at the means of ID being allowed, but that’s Tories being Tory. That can be sorted.

It’s the Electoral Commission that makes the rules. They came up with these rules based on the trials between 2018-19. These Council Elections will no doubt lead to further tweaks before the next General Election. 
For me, a National Identity Card would solve all the problems. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, BobyBrno said:

It’s the Electoral Commission that makes the rules. They came up with these rules based on the trials between 2018-19. These Council Elections will no doubt lead to further tweaks before the next General Election. 
For me, a National Identity Card would solve all the problems. 

The local elections can very often come down to a win by single figure votes.

It wouldn’t take much for an independent party to <cough> arrange voting.

Needs sorting.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/who-we-are-and-what-we-do/our-views-and-research/our-research/electoral-fraud-data

All the stats would appear to be here. Put whatever slant you want on them as you see fit. 

My personal view? I think photographic ID should be a requirement for you to vote.   Irrespective of the extent of fraud currently experienced  

• Site Supporter
44 minutes ago, Zulu said:

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/who-we-are-and-what-we-do/our-views-and-research/our-research/electoral-fraud-data

All the stats would appear to be here. Put whatever slant you want on them as you see fit. 

My personal view? I think photographic ID should be a requirement for you to vote.   Irrespective of the extent of fraud currently experienced  

I think ID cards are the first step personally, then the issue of voting ID is irrelevant. 

• Moderators
On 25/04/2023 at 17:35, RoadRunnerFan said:

Straight out of the US Republican playbook like pretty much everything this mob do. 

There was an aussie on lbc earlier

Uk resident

He pointed out a good number of the aussie wankers who stopped their boats fucked off over here to work with the tories when they were fucked off

So we can blame them too, for this vile racist regime

Get shut

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Times that for every town and city, that's quite a lot tbf

Yes, missing the point a little, given a minister who signed off on it said it was  an attempt at gerrymandering.

If that doesn't get you annoyed that the government are trying to do this then nothing will.

Mind you, there are serial apologists.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Fewer that 200 voters turned away from polling stations in Bolton for not having correct ID according to the BN.

0.26%.

Much sceeeching about nothing.

Can you imagine the "screeching" if this was a Labour MP?

Edited by Cheese

17 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Fewer that 200 voters turned away from polling stations in Bolton for not having correct ID according to the BN.

0.26%.

I think that 0.26% was of the 33% who turned out to vote. 67% couldn’t be bothered. That’s a more telling statistic.

18 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

0.26%.

Was there a lot of "screeching" actually done? 

Anyway, at least you've confirmed that you're happy for the Government to try to deny people the opportunity to vote, which is what JRM basically admitted to, even if it is only a small amount of them. 

For what it's worth, folk did have enough time to sort it, so it's tough shit if they were turned away. I just think the reasons they brought it in stink a bit. To further add, in case you think I'm some sort of "lefty" I think we give too many the opportunity to vote anyway, but we have to work with the current guidelines until they're changed. 

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I'll also add that JRM didnt say that was the intention neither. Again miss-interpretation or deliberate twisting of comments. 

Be a job for you at ITV soon.

''Parties that try and gerrymander end up finding their clever scheme comes back to bite them – as dare I say we found by insisting on voter ID for elections.”

“We found the people who didn’t have ID were elderly and they by and large voted Conservative, so we made it hard for our own voters and we upset a system that worked perfectly well”

Jacob Rees Mogg

There's being an apologist and then there's wilfully stating untruths.

No wonder we've had this government in charge for so long when people just bury their head in the sand for no reason other than they tribally support one side over the other. If this was a Labour minister I'd be fucking disgusted.

18 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

0.26%.

To give it context that compares to 15 cases of voter fraud across the whole country in last 4 years according to that link from the electoral commission. 

Strange that people say a membership scheme at football will affect attendances but needing ID to vote won't affect numbers. 

Requiring ID will affect voter numbers that is proven, as people were turned away. The only question is if you are happy that the ID is a good tool to cut fraud and believes that outweighs the impact on numbers 

1 hour ago, Ani said:

To give it context that compares to 15 cases of voter fraud across the whole country in last 4 years according to that link from the electoral commission. 

Strange that people say a membership scheme at football will affect attendances but needing ID to vote won't affect numbers. 

Requiring ID will affect voter numbers that is proven, as people were turned away. The only question is if you are happy that the ID is a good tool to cut fraud and believes that outweighs the impact on numbers 

Known voter fraud* 

fixed it for you 👍

4 minutes ago, royal white said:

Known voter fraud* 

fixed it for you 👍

Whereas the 200 is people who were turned away not including those who realised in day or so before so did not bother. 

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I'll also add that JRM didnt say that was the intention neither. Again miss-interpretation or deliberate twisting of comments. 

Be a job for you at ITV soon.

Might need to watch that clip again old boy :)

1 hour ago, Ani said:

Whereas the 200 is people who were turned away not including those who realised in day or so before so did not bother. 

You mentioned folk saying a membership scheme at football would affect attendances. How’s the attendances differed since Bolton introduced a membership scheme? 

41 minutes ago, royal white said:

You mentioned folk saying a membership scheme at football would affect attendances. How’s the attendances differed since Bolton introduced a membership scheme? 

I do not know, you might be better asking the people who said it would. 

Are you at work ? 

Edited by Ani

3 minutes ago, Ani said:

I do not know, you might be better asking the people who said it would. 

Are you at work ? 

You brought it up so I thought you would know. Attendances are up at Bolton as they are at most clubs across the country. As usual it was just a few screeching about a minor issue which really isn’t an issue.