Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cambridge United (A)

radcliffe white

34 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Yes it his job and yes he had a less influential first half, but 2nd half he was magnificent,  he is the best midfielder in this division and the best midfielder we have had in a long while, yet still you are not happy! First half the lack of movement from others limited him, give him options and create the space for him and he will continue to destroy teams. 

And I can honestly say I was not nervous the way the game was going, we dominated throughout. As said first half we were too static, and it was frustrating,  but as soon as we kicked off 2nd half you could see that changed. Once we got a lead we turned it down and controlled it to conserve our energy, with 2 massive games coming up, we would have been knackered playing at the intensity of that ~20 minute period in the 2nd half. They had nothing of note until we nearly handed them something on a plate, something we do need to cut out. 

But even then I had no real concern we couldn't have upped it again and pushed for another if needed.

I know we all see it differently,  but your glass isn't even half empty, and it seems you can't wait to get on the opponents board to blow some smoke up their arse. Try watching it from a Bolton perspective without worrying what compliments you can give the opposition fans, it might look a little different.

What a load of tosh. I never compliment opposition fans but every team in this league has some players who are decent and I am not so one-eyed that I can’t admit it.

Sheehan is a great player and makes some brilliant passes - as does Thomason occasionally - but Sheehan can’t have been happy with the ones he misjudged because it’s only natural that he - like me and most fans - wants every pass to come off I.e. perfection. Thankfully he produced a beauty late in the game.

BTW not much mention on here about the well taken finish that came over his shoulder - could easily have fluffed it but took it really well. A moment of quality all round.

Edited by Wanderlust

Re just his job. Having 360 vision and movement receiving the ball continously facing your own goal with 11 players behind you wanting it off you and having to pivot and open and stretch play with pint point passing...

Might just be his job but fuck me its one heck of a job and the lad is the best in the league at it.

Folk used to wank over Barry Bannan for doing the same job.

Wonder if City fans think Rodri is just doing his job :)

11 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

What a load of tosh. I never compliment opposition fans but every team in this league has some players who are decent and I am not so one-eyed that I can’t admit it.

Sheehan is a great player and makes some brilliant passes - as does Thomason occasionally - but Sheehan can’t have been happy with the ones he misjudged because it’s only natural that he - like me and most fans - wants every pass to come off I.e. perfection. Thankfully he produced a beauty late in the game.

BTW not much mention on here about the well taken finish that came over his shoulder - could easily have fluffed it but took it really well. A moment of quality all round.

Utter tosh!

Screenshot_20240221_070517_Chrome.jpg

14 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

I was replying to your one post saying Sheehan just doing his job, he was but it is a great job. Your view is just so pessimistic,  and whether intentional or not, comes across as just itching for something to go wrong so you can say how right you are. It is tedious.

Exemplified by "could easily have fluffed it" completely unnecessary comment,  of course he could, just as much as that deflected shot of theirs could have looped over the bar. It didn't!

Anyway will leave it there, don't want to tarnish the post win glow, and need to sooth the throat. 

You must have some Blackpool and Wigan fans to fluff as well.

32 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Utter tosh!

And? 
what’s wrong with that?
if you look at that thread it’s absolutely rammed with compliments about how good we are , “beaten by the better team” etc (apart from one guy who hates us and was admonishing the others for saying how good we are) For the most part they are a decent set of fans who love their club and you’ve got to respect that - only a dick would crow about our win.

Least I could do is tell the truth because but for our superb goal and Lankester screwing his shot wide after we gifted them the ball on the edge of our own box at the end, they could have got the draw and there is no need for them to go into meltdown just because they lost to us.

Edited by Wanderlust

34 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Utter tosh!

Kinnel. Not sure what Colon, amberandy and 1 more were watching.

I was less scared than bubonic plague that a cure was coming  than I was of Cambridge last night.

Edited by tomski

9 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

And? 
what’s wrong with that?
if you look at that thread it’s absolutely rammed with compliments about how good we are , “beaten by the better team” etc (apart from one guy who hates us and was admonishing the others for saying how good we are) For the most part they are a decent set of fans who love their club and you’ve got to respect that - only a dick would crow about our win.

Least I could do is tell the truth because but for our superb goal and Lankester screwing his shot wide after we gifted them the ball on the edge of our own box at the end, they could have got the draw and there is no need for them to go into meltdown just because they lost to us.

You said you didn't go on making compliments, you do. And I have read some of the comments,  they are very complimentary too us, as you say, making yours seem patronising to be honest.

And yet again with the  could have, would have shit. They were barely in the game, their goal and their only other chance came from our mistakes, which I have already said we need to cut out, but otherwise we dominated. If you really can't enjoy that 2nd half, just give up watching football.

Fuck me, I said I wasn't going to get dragged into this 

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

Massive 3 points - which is the most important thing.

Unlike others, I don’t think we were that bad first half. If you go in 0-0, which we would have if it wasn’t for a flukey deflection, then you’d say it was ok for a first half and we never looked in any danger. Obviously we weren’t at our best but I’d say it was pretty average rather than poor.

Second half we had intensity from the off and actually managed to keep the pressure up until we got the breakthrough, which I don’t think I’ve seen us do for so many ‘phases’ of play. We nearly scored 2 or 3 times just before that first goal and I just thought in classic Bolton fashion our chances were gone, but we wouldn’t let them out and looked like a team on a mission. The crowd were up and the team were feeding off it and you could see it coming - once we got one it was almost inevitable that a second was coming, we felt so dominant and it’s a sign of a good team. What a fucking pass by Sheehan though, and the finish wasn’t bad either!

Some nervy moments in the last 10 but a makeshift defence stood firm. Fair play to all of them but especially Iredale who put in a massive shift and never took a backwards step in that last 10-15 minutes - especially considering Ogbetta next to him was basically playing with 1 leg!

Coleman looked really assured with his actual keeping, and not too bad with the ball at feet to be fair - you could see he was absolutely buzzing with the reception he got at the start of the game - “he’s one of our own…” and he looked confident throughout. He was absolutely pumped at the end of the game in front of the fans too.

Dempsey class - he never stops running but was also a lot better on the ball than he has been lately.

Sheehan is a joke in these games. If you can’t mark him out of the game then he just controls everything - he was too good for them and as with other teams they just resorted to kicking him up in the air. 

Shoutout for Jones too. Typically steady and assured, it’s fucking good to have him back!

Fans class, you could hear the relief at the end and you could see what a massive result it was for the players. Massive boost going into 2 massive away games - full belief we will win on Saturday and then let’s see what we can do at Wigan off the back of 2 big wins!

Really good post, summed up a lot of my thoughts for me! 

Well pleased for Coleman, will hopefully give his confidence a boost before these derbies and the negative nellies lay off him. As I've been saying, he's absolutely fine as back up keeper.

We'll have to up performance though to have any chance in these next 2. They'll be up for it from the off so we can't afford these off colour halves.

2 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

You said you didn't go on making compliments, you do. And I have read some of the comments,  they are very complimentary too us, as you say, making yours seem patronising to be honest.

And yet again with the  could have, would have shit. They were barely in the game, their goal and their only other chance came from our mistakes, which I have already said we need to cut out, but otherwise we dominated. If you really can't enjoy that 2nd half, just give up watching football.

Fuck me, I said I wasn't going to get dragged into this 

😂

29 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

And? 
what’s wrong with that?

Cudda wudda shudda.

All water under the bridge now and the 3 points are safely in the bag.

Onwards and upwards.

• Site Supporter

Biggest plus for me, last night, was our defending in the second half.

Apart from the one obvious fuck up, we attacked every cross, corner, pass that came into our area, and we didn’t really give them any chances.

Just what we need, especially over these next two games.

Mansfield away vibes circa 20/21.

Come from behind away at an awkward side, with the injuries we have in a crucial time of the season. Very good 2nd half and the 2nd goal was sheer quality. 

Follow it up with 3 more this weekend (at least one of Derby and Barnsley are going to drop points) and it may *finally* be time to beat them lot from up the road.

8 minutes ago, BeeversLeftPeg said:

Follow it up with 3 more this weekend (at least one of Derby and Barnsley are going to drop points) and it may *finally* be time to beat them lot from up the road.

No reason why not.

We are a far better side than Wigan, it’s about time we proved it.

12 hours ago, Didledee said:

De Bruyne would have been trending if he played that ball Sheehan did and a great finish from CMG, difficult to hit like that as it comes down

thinking that guy who assaulted Iredale should see more than 3 out, purposely attacking another player is different to a bad tackle

Actually I don’t, Cambridge play some of our challengers including a posh on Saturday and we want 5he: to beat them surely?

3 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Since you post on the Cambridge site Lusty maybe you should listen to their extensive complimentary posts after the game, claiming we’re the best team they’ve seen since Wednesday last year, fully deserved the win and sure we’ll be promoted. Not bad for a team you’d earlier claimed were lacking with all our injuries. ☹️

5 minutes ago, mattbwfc19 said:

when was the last time we came from behind and won? Struggling to remember

Derby at ours this season, before that it was Port Vale at home game after the pizza semi final win at Accrington.

Edited by BeeversLeftPeg

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, DazBob said:

Big win tonight. After a poor start we some some real spirit. Thought we did really well dealing with the barrage of balls into the box towards the end too.

Seen a few moaning about the ref, but I thought he handled the game well. Short of turning into Uriah Rennie I'm not sure what folk expect sometimes.

I think both managers have hinted that they weren't overly enamoured with him.

But then, I suppose they would. 

As for the game itself, as long as it's not overboard, it's perfectly reasonable to fans to be critical if they feel we're not playing well, so long as it's balanced the other way.

For me, at the moment, I think we're starting a bit too slowly and making hard work for ourselves.

Just shows what we can do.

3 hours ago, Steejay said:

Biggest plus for me, last night, was our defending in the second half.

Apart from the one obvious fuck up, we attacked every cross, corner, pass that came into our area, and we didn’t really give them any chances.

Just what we need, especially over these next two games.

Yes, it can be an underrated art in these days of total football etc, but every time they pumped the ball down our throats or crossed semi-dangerously, Toal or Iredale or someone was there on the end of it, and if not Baxter made a clean catch.  There were a lot of good performances defensively but if Iredale is taken out of that team we are weakened physically, not to mention having a left foot and leadership qualities.  

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

Actually I don’t, Cambridge play some of our challengers including a posh on Saturday and we want 5he: to beat them surely?

We play them next Saturday so the one sent off misses that game.  That virtually guarantees Kachunga playing presumably.

4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yes, it can be an underrated art in these days of total football etc, but every time they pumped the ball down our throats or crossed semi-dangerously, Toal or Iredale or someone was there on the end of it, and if not Baxter made a clean catch.  There were a lot of good performances defensively but if Iredale is taken out of that team we are weakened physically, not to mention having a left foot and leadership qualities.  

Baxter gets a lot of credit does nt he ? 

On Saturday for the second goal the defence were very passive, it is a massive difference when a defence is proactive and one player attacks the ball. I think it's an area we are generally weak at on long balls , very rarely one of centre halves attacks the ball and sends a thumping header clear. Santos prefers to try and claim rather than clear the ball for instance. 

suppose it is true for all positions that being decisive rather than waiting makes a massive difference. 

1 hour ago, mattbwfc19 said:

when was the last time we came from behind and won? Struggling to remember

We didn't concede a 1st half goal away this season till Pompey (just before H-T). Since then its become a bit of a habit, so gives us more chance to come from behind and win 😀

That was our first v 11 men of the season, and 1st away.

Last time we came from behind to win away was Fleetwood November 2022 and we were still losing at 85 minutes.  We also had the 2-0 down, won 3-2 at Accy.

Conclusion being I prefer it when we don't concede first!