Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cars you always liked as a kid.

Whitestar

16 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

I always said I'd have one of these when I was grown up but they were probably as unreliable as fuck. Ended up getting the old shape Scirocco instead. After my Mini City that is.

image.thumb.png.db5a154cf7ea0ea7bda77a70a7f2c0ce.png

mates dad had one back in the 80s 

soft top White

do northing but rust and break down 

but fuck me it looked the dogs balls

Early 70s and my dad and a couple of his mates set up their own business in Salford. One of them was a right Flash Harry and used to lend his car to my dad. Where my interest in cars came from. 6 litre V8 Jensen Interceptor. Loved that car. Absolute beast. Fell apart after a couple of years though. Only got a handful of rides to school in it

IMG_0621.jpeg.93b1e51a0ead408a1bba50aaf01139a8.jpeg

11 hours ago, Alf Hartigan said:

I always said I'd have one of these when I was grown up but they were probably as unreliable as fuck. Ended up getting the old shape Scirocco instead. After my Mini City that is.

image.thumb.png.db5a154cf7ea0ea7bda77a70a7f2c0ce.png

About 35% of all stags ever made are still in circulation so not that unreliable for a 40 year old car. 

• Site Supporter
On 23/11/2023 at 07:07, Nowack said:

About 35% of all stags ever made are still in circulation so not that unreliable for a 40 year old car. 

Is there a bit of Trigger's brush about this though?

Good looking motor, dedicated following perhaps going beyond what most of us do with a car.

9 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Is there a bit of Trigger's brush about this though?

Good looking motor, dedicated following perhaps going beyond what most of us do with a car.

Most likely. They will all have new cooling systems and I think the original also had an issue with the engine, so they may have been replaced. 

1 hour ago, Nowack said:

Most likely. They will all have new cooling systems and I think the original also had an issue with the engine, so they may have been replaced. 

Wasn't the rover V8 the perfect straight swap??

Im not techy but am interested in stuff like that.

• Site Supporter

I've not much interest in them to be honest, but a bloke who livedacross theroad from us had an Austin A40 which Iliked. In later years one turned up at a scrap yard in Radcliffe and I thought it still looked ok even with an old Christmas tree sticking out of it.

Imagine this but with an old brown Christmas tree sticking out of it. And in ascrap yard.image.thumb.png.d41510827b22561ce5a57b4e1a4bd9de.png

2 hours ago, Winchester White said:

I really wanted a mini for my first car but I couldn't afford a good one and my brother said they were death traps.

ni8hktl7i1r51.jpg

Learned to drive in my Mums mini

ATJ166J was it’s reg whatever year that was

Hole in the floor where you could see the road. My dad put a piece wood under the back of the drivers seat to stop it falling through the floor

Choke start and double declutching downshifts. Youngsters need not ask

• Members
On 29/11/2023 at 17:09, frank_spencer said:

My primary school headmaster had one in yellow, I thought it was cool as fuck.

Power to weight ratio made them pretty quick. Unlike the Robin. The fact that the latter were favoured by fackin' Rockers because they could drive them on their grease monkey machine licences meant that I could never take to the Reliant brand. Always associated the marque with them diabolical twats.

Cunts ran me off the road in one up near Rivvy Barn. Ploughed through a blokes privets and disturbed his Sunday morning Pimms :D