Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Lincoln City (A) Boxing Day

TrickyTrotter

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Donkeys years since I went on a travel club bus, with Dave flogging his rub offs, but I don't think booze was allowed then. Doubt it is now.

Don't think I've ever done club travel before. Thought this might be the case. 

Might just have to be a flask of brandy fuelled coffee 😁

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, boogs said:

Went all over with them.

Get plenty of undue stick; I had many good trips, even if the result wasn't great.

Can't remember his name now (maybe Graham) but there was a lad who would collect bus numbers or some such with great enthusiasm whilst we were cruising along the motorway. :)

10 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Went all over with them.

Get plenty of undue stick; I had many good trips, even if the result wasn't great.

Can't remember his name now (maybe Graham) but there was a lad who would collect bus numbers or some such with great enthusiasm whilst we were cruising along the motorway. :)

Well, that fills me with confidence for the sort of company we'll have on there 😂

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, boogs said:

Well, that fills me with confidence for the sort of company we'll have on there 😂

Haha.

It was always a bit of a bone of contention amongst others as to whether he really could see a number and write it down in the brief moment he had as a bus approached on the opposite carriageway, and a closing speed of over 100mph.

As a teen and young 20s I loved travelling with a mix of ages and personalities.

Get there in plenty of time, have a pleasant drink somewhere and then into the game.

34 minutes ago, boogs said:

With the train situation on boxing day, and none of us willing to back down and drive, looks like we're going to be Club travel bus wankers for this. 

Does anyone know if they let you drink on them?? 

Not talking about getting smashed, but wouldn't mind a few tins en route. 

theres plenty independent coaches going 

where do you live?

7 minutes ago, L/H White said:

theres plenty independent coaches going 

where do you live?

Crompton way, breightmet end.

There's 4 of us including my 11 year old nephew. 

Been offered an option of a coach with a mate of a mate but it'll be full of vile druggy thugs and I don't much fancy exposing the young un to that lot. 😁

23 minutes ago, boogs said:

Ha ha, ,when I started going to away games, I was only allowed to go on the supporter's club coaches, but they were alright with a mix of Dave Higson type eccentrics, old dears with teddy bears & a few lads  but they were a good bunch who all got along.......last time i used K&F was the rearranged game at Lincoln & it was grim & cliquey, the type who sit at the front in silence with arms folded.

It's probably bearable if there's a group of you.  Oranges injected with vodka was supposed to be the thing ( & quite christmassy ) though i'm not sure anybody really did it, hip flasks might be more realistic, cans would upset the regulars !!

59 minutes ago, boogs said:

I think its safe to say there's no way you're getting on the official coach with alcohol 

Isn't there a rule/law that lets the police turn away mini buses etc if people are going to a match and drinking? 

Did do the 95 Coca Cup final on a coach where alcohol was banned. A half drunk bottle of coke topped up with vodka did the trick 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

I think its safe to say there's no way you're getting on the official coach with alcohol 

Isn't there a rule/law that lets the police turn away mini buses etc if people are going to a match and drinking? 

Did do the 95 Coca Cup final on a coach where alcohol was banned. A half drunk bottle of coke topped up with vodka did the trick 

Aye, certainly used to be, so would imagine the same now.

4 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Aye, I'm thinking G&T in a lemonade bottle maybe 😁

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Haha.

It was always a bit of a bone of contention amongst others as to whether he really could see a number and write it down in the brief moment he had as a bus approached on the opposite carriageway, and a closing speed of over 100mph.

As a teen and young 20s I loved travelling with a mix of ages and personalities.

Get there in plenty of time, have a pleasant drink somewhere and then into the game.

Same, as a teenager in early to mid 80s, the coach trips were a decent option.  Port Vale (2-1l, Tuesday nights at Carlisle (0-5), Orient (pissing it down on open terrace, 3-4), Scunthorpe (0-1), Good Friday Oxford (0-5), Walsall 0-1 at Fellows Park, Rotherham (drew, with Wayne Foster in goal).  Some good memories of some of the characters we came across and yes Graham was a character you didn't want to sit too near to!

Does anyone know what happened to Graham?  Very fond memories also of travel club trips as a young kid in the 1980s with him shouting out coach registrations from 100 yards away in the pitch black 😂.  Happy days.

Edited by Bertie

• Site Supporter
33 minutes ago, Bertie said:

Does anyone know what happened to Graham?  Very fond memories also of travel club trips as a young kid in the 1980s with him shouting out coach registrations from 100 yards away in the pitch black 😂.  Happy days.

Don't know mate.

I'd forgotten about him until we got onto the subject.

Could be a bit annoying at times when he leapt up and charged down the aisle in excitement, but looking back, it's was all part of the mix of characters that made the journeys more interesting. 

Credit to Dave too, who would both look after him (and others) but would have a word if he got over excited. 

What a fella he was too.

Happy days indeed.

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Don't know mate.

I'd forgotten about him until we got onto the subject.

Could be a bit annoying at times when he leapt up and charged down the aisle in excitement, but looking back, it's was all part of the mix of characters that made the journeys more interesting. 

Credit to Dave too, who would both look after him (and others) but would have a word if he got over excited. 

What a fella he was too.

Happy days indeed.

I vaguely remember him getting some long service award from where he worked (a watch iirc), proud as punch but of course kept telling and showing everyone (again and again!) - I think he got mugged and the watch nicked at some stage. Still makes me angry 40 years later thinking of that. 

Most trips there was only the solitary travel club coach, sometimes two.  Got to know folk and as you say a real community spirit.

4 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Same, as a teenager in early to mid 80s, the coach trips were a decent option.  Port Vale (2-1l, Tuesday nights at Carlisle (0-5), Orient (pissing it down on open terrace, 3-4), Scunthorpe (0-1), Good Friday Oxford (0-5), Walsall 0-1 at Fellows Park, Rotherham (drew, with Wayne Foster in goal).  Some good memories of some of the characters we came across and yes Graham was a character you didn't want to sit too near to!

I did most of those games, don’t think was on the supporters coach though except maybe Orient. Graham was from LH was a strange fella think he went to Haysbrook school which was for “special” kids.