Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Charlton (H)

Ani

14 minutes ago, TrickyTrotter said:

Highlights

Did their second take a deflection still not sure.  The cross for their first was better than I thought at the time. Still piss poor though. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/video/26947/13074334/bolton-3-3-charlton-league-one-highlights

Toal misjudges the flight. Sounds like I have real downer on the lad, which is not the case, but young and inexperienced caring an injury is a lot to ask. 

Watched the goals again & can’t really blame the keeper , maybe he could have done better with the second but was severely unsited.

Their first was a free header , the last bounced up nicely for the scorer in off the post , Coleman not much chance.The second goal happened as the  team were caught having a Kip.

Hope Vic is not another on the injured list.

Had the rub of the green lately at home , but not today .

Move on.

41 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

Some of Evatt's frustration with officials I can understand, though more around the systematic fouling of Sheehan than what happened with JDC today. L1 refs let pretty much every player get away with one clattering into the back of him before pulling a yellow out, so if the opposition share that job around he could have been hacked down 4 times by the time the first card comes out. 

Evatt's determination to have us play a certain way is laudable but the standard of refereeing isn't going to improve any time soon, maybe we have to be a bit more streetwise in making the ref know, getting in the fouler's face a bit, going to ground easier. We just look a bit lightweight and nice against limited sides who bully us and shithouse us out of games. 

I watched City v Chelsea when I got home and if the same standards were applied in L1 teams like Charlton would be on 3-4 yellows by half time. 

I thought the ref booked them fairly regularly tbh for the constant hits on Sheehan, and other time wasting. They just seemed adept on it being a different player being booked each time (although I must admit I got over excited when one of their holding midfielders got a booking second and I was shouting to "get him off ref" not realising their holding midfielders looked pretty much identical and it was the other one who'd had a booking first half).

The only decision I thought he got wrong was only 1 min added onto injury time. Of the 9 mins stated we had further stoppages of at least 4 mins. Basic stuff that lets the refs down

53 minutes ago, Zico said:

Pompey, Derby and Barnsley winning 

There's surely no point attending a game if its all about not only the result of our game but how everyone else has gone on.  Just get the results on Sky or whatever.  Whatever league we are in or wherever we finish, if we can't enjoy the decent halves of football what's the point (just my viewpoint, each to their own).

11 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Watched the goals again & can’t really blame the keeper , maybe he could have done better with the second but was severely unsited.

Their first was a free header , the last bounced up nicely for the scorer in off the post , Coleman not much chance.The second goal happened as the  team were caught having a Kip.

Hope Vic is not another on the injured list.

Had the rub of the green lately at home , but not today .

Move on.

Definitely. Not sure where the Coleman blame is coming from - he was fine today. The second goal in particular should go down as a tactical failure, how you can have 11 players back in the box yet not be able to cover a slow passing along the 18yard box, crazy. They all need to push out way further and leave a man up.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

There's surely no point attending a game if its all about not only the result of our game but how everyone else has gone on.  Just get the results on Sky or whatever.  Whatever league we are in or wherever we finish, if we can't enjoy the decent halves of football what's the point (just my viewpoint, each to their own).

The main thing I didn't enjoy today was other results, that's all

this game would have been fine on the opening day 

had it cost us a play off place on the final day less so

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

We shouldn't be, but we are. 

You can't take santos, Forrester and Baxter away from the best defence in the whole country and expect us to be the same

Santos and Baxter yes, Forrester has only started 7 games and one of those was a home defeat to Carlisle.  He's good but not first choice, the 3 CBs are Jones, Santos and Toal so we are only missing Santos.  Iredale will be unlucky to lose his place, I've liked him at CB, we'll miss his left foot, strength, leadership and goal threat.

25 minutes ago, Stig said:

I thought the ref booked them fairly regularly tbh for the constant hits on Sheehan, and other time wasting. They just seemed adept on it being a different player being booked each time (although I must admit I got over excited when one of their holding midfielders got a booking second and I was shouting to "get him off ref" not realising their holding midfielders looked pretty much identical and it was the other one who'd had a booking first half).

The only decision I thought he got wrong was only 1 min added onto injury time. Of the 9 mins stated we had further stoppages of at least 4 mins. Basic stuff that lets the refs down

Number 4 already on a booking and fouled Sheehan second half. Would absolutely have been a yellow card were he not already on a booking.  

3 minutes ago, Stig said:

Definitely. Not sure where the Coleman blame is coming from - he was fine today. The second goal in particular should go down as a tactical failure, how you can have 11 players back in the box yet not be able to cover a slow passing along the 18yard box, crazy. They all need to push out way further and leave a man up.

How we set up to defend corners is baffling. They were leaving two back, had two on the corner routine, one outside box, yet we had every outfield player in the 6 yard box. If we half clear it, player on edge of box has time to set his sights and hit it.  Surely one of ours should be between 6 yard box and penalty box as the charger. 

Such a big crowd scene doesn't particularly help the keeper nor is it a guarantee we'll clear our lines effectively. Some of our faffing and wafting feet at the ball in those situations in recent weeks has been woeful

• Site Supporter
46 minutes ago, woolli said:

Fantastic post, he has been fantastic for us, its promotion or hes gone.

Problem is, if he goes who do we get to replace him? And is the new manager going to start where IE left off.

We can’t afford to wait another five years, and the owners certainly won’t.

46 minutes ago, Ani said:

Got home after driving through a monsoon , had a curry, not read over comments on the game. First half was what has been the norm last few home games, disjointed , Sheehan man marked and it stopped us playing. They scored 2 scrappy goals caused by indecisive defending. Whisper it quietly but Toal desperately needs a rest. Relying on a young lad carrying an injury is not working. 
Second half we upped the pace and played well Maghoma scores a superb goal , we give another scrappy one away but battle get a more than deserved draw. 

I do have a major gripe today, and this is with Evatt IMO. In second half Dempsey moved to play on right and Maghoma to left and IMO that was the difference. Gethin, JCD and Dempsey link up brilliantly on the right and this opened the game up, same has happened on other games, this also means Magohoma is cutting in onto his right and that  works. So why the fuck start them the other way round ? 

I noticed that with Dempsey in first half. On Tuesday, as you say, his linking up with JDC and Jones was really productive, where Maghoma causes more damage ghosting in off left. 

• Members
1 hour ago, FrancisFogarty said:

The ref should have stopped the game for sure.

Why?

It wasn't a foul, nor was it a head injury.

If it had been at the other end and the ref had stopped play we'd have all gone apeshit ... and rightfully so.

56 minutes ago, TrickyTrotter said:

Highlights

Did their second take a deflection still not sure.  The cross for their first was better than I thought at the time. Still piss poor though. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/video/26947/13074334/bolton-3-3-charlton-league-one-highlights

The defending for their 3 goals doesn't look as bad on the highlights, at the time it felt like slow motion with plenty of time to defend, on the TV it all happens quickly.  I'm less critical having seen that, if we'd scored any of their 3 goals we'd think they were 2 good finishes plus one really good cross.  Baxter doesn't save the 3rd one, he probably saves the 2nd and no idea about the 1st.  Why anyone thinks the ref should have stopped the game for JDC falling over awkwardly 3 seconds before the ball is in our net I've no idea, very good finish.

49 minutes ago, Stig said:

Ha I think I've posted the exact same thing about the same time. Second half was exciting enough to stop me sneaking off to beat the traffic for the first time since Blackpool! If that header had gone in at the end it would have been a game for the ages.

But have to disagree on Jones on your other post. I thought he was great second half, but terrible in the first. Although that's not singling him out, can't think of anyone who was decent that first half

Yes, good post.  I must admit I can hardly recall anything of the 1st half except the goals and being a bit bored, so I'll take your word for it.  In the 2nd half I was sat near where Jones was attacking and he was outstanding, not just on the ball but defending and leading.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

The defending for their 3 goals doesn't look as bad on the highlights, at the time it felt like slow motion with plenty of time to defend, on the TV it all happens quickly.  I'm less critical having seen that, if we'd scored any of their 3 goals we'd think they were 2 good finishes plus one really good cross.  Baxter doesn't save the 3rd one, he probably saves the 2nd and no idea about the 1st.  Why anyone thinks the ref should have stopped the game for JDC falling over awkwardly 3 seconds before the ball is in our net I've no idea, very good finish.

The defending was indecisive , when playing well the ball is cleared for the first, Toal is stepping forward as the ball comes over and it goes over his head. The second the ball takes an age to get to a bloke moving away from goal he has to be closed down. The third  is just so scrappy. 

it is a cliche but the game is about small margins on another (better) day all 3 are cleared. Changing personnel including the keeper has such impact 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Why?

If it had been at the other end and the ref had stopped play we'd have all gone apeshit ... and rightfully so.

Was that not the head injury? I apologise if it wasn’t but there was a lot going on in my defence.

13 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Why?

Agreed. Not a foul and he didn't (as Evatt reckoned in his post match) land on his head, not was he holding his head when on the ground. A bit of clutching at straws and deflection away from how piss weak the subsequent attempts to clear it were. 

40 minutes ago, Stig said:

Its never going to happen but I'll never understand it.  I'd leave 2 up every corner especially if Charles is playing, with his pace (and lack of height).  Immediately they have to bring 3 back, and if they do get a shot away there are 5 less players blocking the view of the keeper or deflecting it past him.

19 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Why?

2 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

Agreed. Not a foul and he didn't (as Evatt reckoned in his post match) land on his head, not was he holding his head when on the ground. A bit of clutching at straws and deflection away from how piss weak the subsequent attempts to clear it were. 

Watching the replay, he initially starts to get back up then changes his mind and decides to stay down. I understand why as we’ve seen play stopped so often in the past but personally I’d rather see players play to the whistle. 

6 minutes ago, Ani said:

The defending was indecisive , when playing well the ball is cleared for the first, Toal is stepping forward as the ball comes over and it goes over his head. The second the ball takes an age to get to a bloke moving away from goal he has to be closed down. The third  is just so scrappy. 

it is a cliche but the game is about small margins on another (better) day all 3 are cleared. Changing personnel including the keeper has such impact 

First was the result of half hearted efforts at shutting down the crossing opportunity then awful marking by Toal and Iredale, their lad would have had a free header if he'd touched it.

Second was a catalogue of errors, Ashworth lost the ball in our third, Iredale's efforts at preventing their lad from having a shot were pathetic, then the corner poorly defended and weak effort from Coleman.

Third, regardless of what Evatt wants to make of what happened to JDC, was another painful load of huffing and puffing to get it clear, reminiscent of Northampton's goal last week. 

Not only do we not do enough to stop crosses coming into our box, we then make a huge, airy fairy meal of getting them away. 

26 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

We replace him don’t want a 5th season with him, personally he’s reach his limit 

Oh right fair enough, I thought you meant he'd look for a championship job.

IMO he's here for next season minimum even if we lose every game between now and end of season.