Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Reykjavik

gonzo

7 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Anyone well versed with this place?

Any trips or excursions to avoid or make sure we do?

Golden Circle or South Coast?

Which lagoon?

Thanks x

You'll only need around three days there as its tiny but easy to get around

Blue lagoon, which everyone does on their way back to the airport as its not far from there. Not sure if its re-opened as they had to close it when they had all those eruptions not long ago

Hired a car and did the Golden Circle and a bit of the south near where that volcano erupted and nobody could fly

Heading out of northern lights season so you'll probably miss that. 

Download “Appy Hour” app, I think it’s called. Basically tells you which pubs are doing 2 for 1. And that way you can do a pub crawl that’s not too expensive.

Be prepared to pay £20 for soup!

We did a whale watching trip - saw dolphins but no whales.

Also did the Gulfoss waterfall & geysers trip, which I’d recommend.

Blue Lagoon on the way back to airport.

• Site Supporter

Went a while ago one February. 

Spent a fortune so take plenty with you. Two points and a pizza was £30!

Tips: Pre-book all your trips.  It'll be a load cheaper

whale season is around May to September.  Unless you intend travelling then the best you'll see is a dolphin.  We didn't even see one of those!  But they did give us a reride voucher so we could go again (and not see anything)

We took about £500 in Icelandic Kronar and £500 sterling for emergencies.  We changed that on fast 4!

Book for the Northern lights on your first night there.  If they don't show they give you a voucher to go out again.  We saw them on night one which is just a well because it showed continually for the rest of our trip. 

Icelandic coach drivers don't care about snow on the road the way drivers in uk do. Coach trips still happen. 

If you go to see the waterfalls remember that every step downwards becomes a step upwards to get back to the coax.  You may be fit but the old gimme r s who block the steps won't be. 

It goes without saying but take warm clothing.  Even beefcake fans would need a coat! 

Went in November, Blue Lagoon was shut and went to the Sky lagoon which was good.

If you want to do another lagoon then book a Golden Circle tour that includes the Secret Lagoon, not as plush as Sky/Blue lagoons but still nice

Booked all trips and airport transfers through Reykavik Excursions. All were easy and hassle free

We found a few bars that did a happy hour in the afternoons which made things a little bit cheaper. Lebowski Bar had a Burger, chips and pint offer which was pretty good was also showing Iceland getting beaten by someone in Euro qualifying when we were there so they may show more games.

My biggest bit of advice is pack a hip flask and pick up a bottle of something in duty free.

Loved our trip but not cheap 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Thanks so far folks

Blue lagoon is still apparently shut or will be borderline open so its a toss up between another couple of lagoon type things.

It was completely shut a few weeks back. Daughter went to Iceland on a field trip with college, and Blue Lagoon was one of the places they were supposed to visit. Plenty alternatives apparently.

32 minutes ago, TrickyTrotter said:

Going in April.  
We’ve paid for breakfast in our hotel to fill up for the day!

Any tips on car hire?

There's parts of the island you can't drive on if your in a hire car, mainly off-road stuff though if I remember right

41 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Seems to be a toss up between golden circle tour or south coast tour.

Or do one day and one other but both are pretty long trips....

Anyone done both? 

Yep, did both back in November on a 4/5 day trip.  The highlight of the South Coast is the iceberg lagoon but it was about 5 hours drive from Reykjavik with stops at a couple of waterfalls.  Hired a car the time we were there, got a speeding ticket, best part of £250 fine.  Golden Circle can easily be done in a day.

• Moderators

I went in Nov. Blue Lagoon was closed. We did Golden Circle day trip with Nice Travel which was amazing. Highly recommend them. Was only like 9-6 so back in plenty of time. You can also book one with a happy ending at Sky Lagoon.

Saw Northern Lights from the plane on the way there.

The coach from airport to Reykjavik was a nice money saver.

I didn't find it that expensive, although didn't drink.

5 hours ago, Carlos said:

I didn't find it that expensive, although didn't drink.

That's what I thought 

About £6-7 a pint in downtown Reykjavik, paid that in places over here 

The hotel we stayed at in the middle of nowhere was a different matter though

Can't even buy booze in supermarkets to sup in your hotel to save a few quid either 

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

That's what I thought 

About £6-7 a pint in downtown Reykjavik, paid that in places over here 

The hotel we stayed at in the middle of nowhere was a different matter though

Can't even buy booze in supermarkets to sup in your hotel to save a few quid either 

London prices only.

Forget Blue Lagoon, we went to the secret lagoon, which isn't very secret.

As mentioned above, new spa open in Reykavik called Sky Lagoon.

Gulfoss, geysers, Seljalandsfoss & Skógafoss waterfalls and the beach at Vik.

I also used the Appy Hour app, in 2015 it was £6 pint, recently in Tromso I was paying £8 which wasn't bad considering its £5.75 for Madri at TS. Plus I had 50 real ale beers and 8 pilsners to choose from.

Don't forget to buy your duty free when you enter Iceland, there is a shop and you get points you can https://www.dutyfree.is/en

Supermarkets can only sell 2% beer. They have govenment offies. https://www.vinbudin.is/english/home/opnunartimar Watch out for opening times.

We did a £900 in seven days. Petrol, food, drinks and entrance ro Serect Lagoon.

7 hours ago, TrickyTrotter said:

Going in April.  
We’ve paid for breakfast in our hotel to fill up for the day!

Any tips on car hire?

I used https://www.bluecarrental.is/ I booked a nissan qashqai 4 wheel drive, when I got there they apologised that they didn't the car and said did I mind if they gave me a Toyota Landcrusier! Keep off F roads. Watch out for old bill and speed cameras. I stuck to the speed limit but locals where flying past me. I stuck my dashcam on and have saved the files, unbelievable landscape esp on the coast past Vik.

It was 2015 and I had a 4G signal everywhere, playing at it over here.

1 hour ago, DirtySanchez said:

Paid more than that in London

Bet if you went out in Manc you could pay that 

I paid a fiver for a pint in Reykjavik in 1996.  

Last summer I paid £8.50 at the MEN arena. 

Inflation mustn't have hit Scandinavia as hard as it did the rest of Europe.