Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oxford (H)

L/H White

15 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

I suppose Dempsey is the obvious choce.He could do the running about Charles does.Rioch went for a taller man than Dempsey who could win his fair share of headers and put himself about.Maybe one of the centre backs could do that job.I saw Julian Darby in the queue at Greggs before one of the recent home games, he is still very slim. unlike me who went next door to Carrs for a pasty barmcake

Didn't Darby regularly hit double figures from midfield also?

14 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Didn't Darby regularly hit double figures from midfield also?

Scored 36 in 270 games in 7 years, so not really a double figures a season man, but did score a few every season from memory.

Bangaverage's scored 7 league goals this season, in only 20 starts.Ā  Ā He has to play every game, we need goalscorers and we don't have many.

Edited by Johnnyrotten

8 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Scored 36 in 270 games in 7 years, so not really a double figures a season man, but did score a few every season from memory.

Bangaverage's scored 7 league goals this season, in only 20 starts.Ā  Ā He has to play every game, we need goalscorers and we don't have many.

These are Darby's stats , an unreal appearance maker over 4 seasons and Roughly a 1 in 5 goal record at his peakĀ  , not bad at all .

20240310_164307.jpg

3 hours ago, Zico said:

Ā 

I seem to recall, with them coming second, the reading match was huge, and after defeat there we seem to tail off

Before the last 7 games , the table wasĀ 

Middlesborough 72 ptsĀ 

Bolton 71 ptsĀ 

Reading 63 points .

Both us and Boro wobbled towards the end and we could have still won the league until the penultimate match ( Boro's results going in our favour though) but we obviously came up short . Reading picked up 16 points from the last 21 and if the season would have lastedĀ  a few more games , they would have probably won it , similar to us in 92/93

Screenshot_20240310-173607_Samsung Internet.jpg

1 hour ago, dusan nikolic said:

These are Darby's stats , an unreal appearance maker over 4 seasons and Roughly a 1 in 5 goal record at his peakĀ  , not bad at all .

20240310_164307.jpg

Impressive stats, a proper midfielder Darby was at mostly 3rd div level.Ā  Wiki must have underplayed his stats, maybe just league games were counted.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Impressive stats, a proper midfielder Darby was at mostly 3rd div level.Ā  Wiki must have underplayed his stats, maybe just league games were counted.

Yes , only league games annoyingly,Ā  proper midfielder for that era and Coupled with Thompson's goals it's easy to see why we were on the fringes of promotion for 2 seasons

Edited by dusan nikolic

7 hours ago, Arrested development said:

We should be able to beat these at home and im confident we can get it done. 2-1.Ā 

With the greatest respect, our form over the last 10 games or so has been so bad that I don't feel confident about beating any team in this division.

Every game I've being saying we need to play well and stay disciplined to win and I won't be changing that until we actually do start playing well again i.e. stop gifting goals, cut out the needless bookings and dismissals and start taking chances more frequently. We play some very pretty but ineffectual stuff, but what we need is ruthlessness at both ends of the park. Bring that and we'll start winning again.

1 hour ago, Wanderlust said:

With the greatest respect, our form over the last 10 games or so has been so bad that I don't feel confident about beating any team in this division.

Every game I've being saying we need to play well and stay disciplined to win and I won't be changing that until we actually do start playing well again i.e. stop gifting goals, cut out the needless bookings and dismissals and start taking chances more frequently. We play some very pretty but ineffectual stuff, but what we need is ruthlessness at both ends of the park. Bring that and we'll start winning again.

Completely agree.

Our only win recently was against a very poor Cambridge side, in which in reality we should have scored at least 6.

Ruthlessness is a word I would definitely not associate with this team.

We usually have to work incredibly hard and play such a high level process driven way to score a goal, yet it is so so easy for us to concede.

Incredibly frustrating at the minute.Ā 

Edited by Lostock Whites

Analysis on here is all well and good, and I know that's what forums are for. But let's be honest, after the last few weeks, none of us can be particularly confident in any game at the moment. And this is from a self certified happy clapper.Ā 

"Need to come out the traps quick"......"need to get the first goal to settle the nerves"......... "need to score first to suppress their threat" ..........

Ā 

All very true and all been said for the last few games. We just need to win by any means necessary and build on it from there. We're in an end of season run in and it appears that our lads arses are twitching like fuck. Let's get behind them and hope for the best. It's all we can realistically do. šŸ¤žšŸ¤ž

5 hours ago, dusan nikolic said:

20240310_164307.jpg

What's going on with 48 league appearances in a season?Ā 

1 hour ago, boogs said:

Ā Let's get behind them and hope for the best. It's all we can realistically do. šŸ¤žšŸ¤ž

That's all we have ever been able to do TBF - unless we can organise a mass prayer meeting for divine intervention, bribe and /or threaten a ref or break into the training ground to give the lads an earth-shattering motivational speech - but I think we're stuck with hoping for the best.

9 hours ago, Zico said:

Ā 

I seem to recall, with them coming second, the reading match was huge, and after defeat there we seem to tail off

That was the season only the Champions went up automatically . We suffered a cup final hangover 10 days after the final .Ā 

The Reading away game was when Quinn went in nets for them when we were 1-0 up and we got beat.Ā 

Oldham away was their cup final and we were robbed , kicked off royally during and after.

Stoke away , Blake was sent off for putting his hand on the chest of Thorgud Thorssonthor , SJM score a worldy but that handed the Championship to Middlesboro .

The last 2 games didnt matter.

unless Im mixing me seasons.

6 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

All the more strange the unreal abuse he got from the "fans"

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Krimzon said:

That was the season only the Champions went up automatically . We suffered a cup final hangover 10 days after the final .Ā 

The Reading away game was when Quinn went in nets for them when we were 1-0 up and we got beat.Ā 

Oldham away was their cup final and we were robbed , kicked off royally during and after.

Stoke away , Blake was sent off for putting his hand on the chest of Thorgud Thorssonthor , SJM score a worldy but that handed the Championship to Middlesboro .

The last 2 games didnt matter.

unless Im mixing me seasons.

Blake wasn't with us at that point though think SJM did scoreĀ 

I was at the Stoke game, keeper got sent off and Shilton came on, their last home game, so fans came on pitch at end, then headed for away end so police and stewards had to form a big line to stop themĀ 

1 hour ago, Zico said:

Blake wasn't with us at that point though think SJM did scoreĀ 

I was at the Stoke game, keeper got sent off and Shilton came on, their last home game, so fans came on pitch at end, then headed for away end so police and stewards had to form a big line to stop themĀ 

Yeah , youre absolutely right . Damn my memory is getting foggy . 20 years ago I would have known these seasons off by heart .Ā Ā 

And thats why shilton had to play the 1st leg of the Wolves play offs , Clues in the answer Krimzon

28 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Lucky 1-0 win would suit me.

More than happy with the ultimate smash and grab ala City away , horrible but what a buzz at the final whistle .Ā 

However Id rather that happan at deeerrby .Ā 

Edited by Krimzon

9 hours ago, Krimzon said:

All the more strange the unreal abuse he got from the "fans"

I was going to mention that. If my memory is right (and there's no guarantee) he was getting dogs abuse in the bogs at Wembley during the Reading play off final. Some big unit stepped up and put an end to it but never understood why one of our own was treated like that.

We really have to get behind them tomorrow night. We as fans have also played our part in the current poor form. We just don't create an atmosphere and things turn pretty fuckin sour, pretty fuckin quickly when it's not going our way.

Stay with them, support them and help them get it done

1 minute ago, boltonboris said:

We really have to get behind them tomorrow night. We as fans have also played our part in the current poor form. We just don't create an atmosphere and things turn pretty fuckin sour, pretty fuckin quickly when it's not going our way.

The crowd Saturday stayed with them after they fell asleep after half time

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, boltonboris said:

i think youre right

apart from very few occasions, its not been negative at home, but its definitely flat

theres an expectation we are going to win, so its prob understandable but we definitely have a part to play

fortunately @victor meldrewis on international duty tomorrow