Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

John Higgins

Guest Frandsen08

?250k to lose 4 frames?

would anyone else do it?

i wouldnt be surprised if higgins stuck a shit load on himself as well.

In a published transcript, Higgins said it would be easy to affect the outcome of a frame.

But the 34-year-old Scot released a statement on Sunday vehemently protesting his innocence. "My conscience is 100% clear," it read.

"Today is the start of the biggest match of my life. I will co-operate fully with the snooker authorities.

"Sadly, others have now damaged that reputation and it is now left to me to clear my name. I have never been involved in any form of snooker match-fixing."

How the chuff does he think he can clear his name, he was recorded for fucks sake. He way as well just hold his hands up and say "Fair cop"

• Site Supporter

He's playing the, "What you didn't see was the size of the Russian Mafia guy with a big gun who frightened us. We had to say something! I'm sorry but what could I do?" card.

Guest Biff

If he is as innocent as he claims to be why didn't Higgins report the attempted bribery to the snooker authorities as soon as he returned to the UK.

If he is as innocent as he claims to be why didn't Higgins report the attempted bribery to the snooker authorities as soon as he returned to the UK.

Exactly. There were two Aussie cricketers who got tapped up by a bookie a year or so ago and they both took that very course

of action and emerged with lots of credit for doing so. Apparently the last snooker player to be found guilty of this stuff

was Quentin Hann, who got an eight year ban, but two of those were for having a gay name. But he was quite far from squeaky

clean to begin ith, whereas there are no stains on Higgins till now, so Id reckon he'll get about five or six years if found

guilty. And let's be honest, the evidence is pretty damning...

As with many other sports, other than introduce draconian punishments it's hard to see what can be done to eradicate this. In

snooker no-one suspects a missed pot to be fishy, nor do they think a cricketer getting himself out is iffy. These scandals are

here to stay, in my view.

• Site Supporter

How much is Higgins earning from snooker? Couple of million pounds a year I'd imagine. Maybe they ought to pay him a bit more so he won't need to do this type of thing to earn a few extra quid!

How much is Higgins earning from snooker? Couple of million pounds a year I'd imagine.

Nowhere near that amount.

John Higgins has been a pro for around 15 years and I don't think he has earned over ?5 million in total.

When I was younger, I used to play quite a lot of snooker like @ Riley's for example, and used to watch a lot on the T.V, my favourite player was John Higgins, I watched him a lot in tournaments and always wanted him to win, I don't watch as much now but I always check results and that to see how he's doing. This was very surprising news. He didn't seem the sort.

• Site Supporter

Higgins was my favourite player until this shit came out. Can't help but think how many games he has really thrown.

I know it's not been proven yet, but as others have said, it's not looking good.

Can't help but wonder about his game against Davies now.

Remember watching him in the UK Open a few years back and he scored 5 centuries on the bounce. Had never been done before.

Edit: just checked Wiki and it was four on the bounce in a Grand Prix Final 2005

Edited by Alf Hartigan

I read the independant on monday at work (long words, few pictures) and it basically said take it with a pinch of salt. The NOTW have paid extortionate amounts to get the player and his manager business class flights, VIP clearance at customs and top hotel in the hope of tarnishing an unblemished career. Not read NOTW or seen the video but they had a go at that saying its not conclusive, and he could have been throwing frames in exhibition matches, which quite frankly are a piss take anyway.

Shithouses if you ask me!

What I read, it seems he would throw some frames, one per match, and the likelihood is it wouldn't make too much difference to the result. And that it would be in non-ranking events. The report went on as much to say that both players would be told to make the game go 5-3 either way to fill the TV slot in that particular country. Which in itself, makes it a bit like World of Sport wrestling.

As for reporting it to the UK authorities - well maybe the same Russian mafia gangsters told him not to - as they would blow his kneecaps off and rape his wife if he did.

I don't believe he's thrown previous matches - but this must have preyed on his mind this week when he lost to Steve Davis.

• Site Supporter

How much is Higgins earning from snooker? Couple of million pounds a year I'd imagine. Maybe they ought to pay him a bit more so he won't need to do this type of thing to earn a few extra quid!

Nowhere near that amount.

John Higgins has been a pro for around 15 years and I don't think he has earned over ?5 million in total.

I think you've missed my point!

Anyway, ?5m over the length of his career still makes him further away from the breadline than most if not all on this site!

• Moderators

I think you've missed my point!

Anyway, ?5m over the length of his career still makes him further away from the breadline than most if not all on this site!

Someone said he'd won one tournament alone this year that paid ?250,000, take off tax etc. and he's still earning more than Garrp.

He was the last person I expected.

But to those within the circle, apparently its not a suprise.

Theres meant to be a video on Youtube of him throwing a frame before all this came out.

• Moderators

because it stops the likes of John Terry on 150k a week!!

it would seem having loads of money doesn't stop you wanting more...

wonder after agents fees and the like, how much of what he earns he takes home, bet it's not as much as he's reported to earn

i.e earn ?5M a year, take home ?2.5?

either way, it ain't ?5M

Not sure about the Youtube thing, but I also was told that this is no surprise to those in the know. In addition it's rumoured that the authorities might offer a gentler ban in return for blowing the lid off other similar scandlals, of which there must be loads.

How the chuff does he think he can clear his name, he was recorded for fucks sake. He way as well just hold his hands up and say "Fair cop"

I don't think its a case of trying to clear his name with regards to the recording more likely he's trying to clear his name that he has done this in the past and got away with it.

Lets be honest 250K to lose frames and not the match how many of you would turn your nose up at it?

• 4 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.