Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

What It Means To You To Get To The Fa Cup Final

Smiffs

• Site Supporter

won easily , when in the last 3 years have we beat stoke easily.(3-1 was a fluke)

i have a bad feeling about the semi, -hope i'm wrong,

but i would sooner loose in the semi's than the final,

couldn't take another final defeat.

• Site Supporter

won easily , when in the last 3 years have we beat stoke easily.(3-1 was a fluke)

Even though getting beat in the final gives us another European trip? I'll settle for that.

Best thing about getting into the final, whoever we play, we will be expected to be there for the taking for either City or United. That in itself could be to our advantage.

If we can beat stoke, that final whistle will probably be the single greatest moment in my life. Ive been going for 19 years, and always dreamt about what it would be like to see us in the final, more so than winning the league, more than anything.

I certainly wouldnt rather we lost in the semi. If we beat stoke and lost 10-0 to city or united, id still take it every time. An fa cup final, it would be a privelege to be there to see Bolton take part in one.

• Site Supporter

Are you raving mad.

For me, this is like a final, due to the fact the winners get a European spot.

Complete 50/50 game as for predicting the result.

Also, I would take losing every league game (as long as we stayed up) just to win the FA Cup Final. (Unlikely scenario, obviously)

Are you raving mad.

For me, this is like a final, due to the fact the winners get a European spot.

Complete 50/50 game as for predicting the result.

Also, I would take losing every league game (as long as we stayed up) just to win the FA Cup Final. (Unlikely scenario, obviously)

I disagree that it's a 50/50 game.I think the Holden injury has Stoke strong favourites .Also the FA Cup is not what it was.As a kid and even a young adult FA Cup final day was the biggest day of the year, bigger than Christmas Day if you were a football fan but it's nothing like that now.The Champions League Final is head and shoulders above FA CUp Final Day now.30 years ago if no English club was involved there would be no interest in the European Cup Final but now it is much bigger than the FA Cup.Every club involved in the Champions League tries their best to win it, that isn't the case with the FA Cup.

If there wasn't a European place at stake against Stoke I would choose 7th place rather than an FA Cup final appearance..Clubs don't take the FA Cup seriously now.We have got this far partly by beating Wigan reserves and a half strength Birmingham side and if Bolton had 6 points less we'd no doubt field a weakened side at Wembley.

Let's face it, Bolton will NEVER win the league.

The next best thing is the FA Cup, we have to go out all guns blazing and do everything to win it otherwise what do we exist for?

7th place and hope for a chance in Europe?

Premier league safety?

Forget it, this is the real deal!

i won't be telling the Grandkids (one day) how we managed to get to mid table respectability FFS.

I'll want to tell 'em how I was there in May 2011 when Rooney was clattered (ending his career!!) by Davies and the ball ended up in the net for another 2-0 against against our lovely neighbours down the road.

show some balls ladies please (or not as the case may be)

COYWM

I disagree that it's a 50/50 game.I think the Holden injury has Stoke strong favourites .Also the FA Cup is not what it was.As a kid and even a young adult FA Cup final day was the biggest day of the year, bigger than Christmas Day if you were a football fan but it's nothing like that now.The Champions League Final is head and shoulders above FA CUp Final Day now.30 years ago if no English club was involved there would be no interest in the European Cup Final but now it is much bigger than the FA Cup.Every club involved in the Champions League tries their best to win it, that isn't the case with the FA Cup.

If there wasn't a European place at stake against Stoke I would choose 7th place rather than an FA Cup final appearance..Clubs don't take the FA Cup seriously now.We have got this far partly by beating Wigan reserves and a half strength Birmingham side and if Bolton had 6 points less we'd no doubt field a weakened side at Wembley.

Until there's a chance we could compete in it, let alone win it I can take or leave the Champions League Final.

In fact the way football itself has become, if Bolton aren't involved I can take it or leave it.

its bigger than elvis. its the one thing i always wanted, but never got, for 40 odd years !

Ive booked my flights, Malaysian airlines was the only one that the travel agent could book but not need payment for until 18th April, so im booked. leave here, 11th May, arrive london 5.00pm 11th may, come back mid day 23rd may (just squeeze in last game of season to watch the parade after the massive game), thats if we beat stoke, if we dont i just phone travel agent on 18th april and cancel.

its bigger than elvis. its the one thing i always wanted, but never got, for 40 odd years !

Ive booked my flights, Malaysian airlines was the only one that the travel agent could book but not need payment for until 18th April, so im booked. leave here, 11th May, arrive london 5.00pm 11th may, come back mid day 23rd may (just squeeze in last game of season to watch the parade after the massive game), thats if we beat stoke, if we dont i just phone travel agent on 18th april and cancel.

Remember to pick Bolty up on the way :good:

It would mean everything to me, being born in 1970 the words "Bolton" and "FA Cup final" in the same sentence only ever bring up black and white imaginings of the 1920s and 1950s.

This "once in a lifetime" gubbins annoys me though. If we had actually put any effort at all into the FA Cup, we could be on the verge of our 3rd or 4th final of the new millenium already.

For instance "Bolton 0 Sheff Utd 1" in the 3rd Round. Sheff U then went on to beat Citeh at home, got beat by Boro who then got beat by Cardiff who then beat Burnley to get into the final.

IF we hadn't dropped Meite, Gardner, Davies, Nolan, Campo and Anelka from the game before and replaced them with Hunt, Michalik, Cid, Braaten, etc... who knows what would have happened.

For instance "Bolton 0 Sheff Utd 1" in the 3rd Round. Sheff U then went on to beat Citeh at home, got beat by Boro who then got beat by Cardiff who then beat Burnley to get into the final.

IF we hadn't dropped Meite, Gardner, Davies, Nolan, Campo and Anelka from the game before and replaced them with Hunt, Michalik, Cid, Braaten, etc... who knows what would have happened.

Christ, you're right.

And if we'd beaten Pompey in the final and then beaten Vitoria, Wolfsburg, Heerenveen, Milan, PSG, Braga, Dynamo Kiev, Shakthar Donetsk and Werder Bremen, we'd have won the UEFA Cup.

Opportunity was knocking and we blew it.

I've been watching Bolton Wanderers since I was four (1959).

My grandad saw them at Wembley in 1923, 1926, 1929 and 1953. My dad saw them in the 1953 and 1958 finals.

I've seen Bolton play at Wembley in a few games, but never in an FA Cup final. To see them at Wembley in an FA Cup final is one of my major ambitions - always has been.

Getting there this year means a hell of a lot to me. I'll not be suicidal if the Stokies beat us - but I'll be very sad.

• Moderators

I'd forgotten just how close he was, I've had it in my head for yonks that he was outside the box when he hit it

aye, me too, thought james was in a better position too

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.