Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A Worrying Thought For Next Season

Benfica indeed.

Allegedly still only 29yrs old! He's scored 9 in 20-odd league games this season and similar stats last year.

Hardly setting the world on fire, but Carlos will know more about it/him.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get to fcuk

a 10 goal striker doesn't do it for you?

on a free?

good god

But he's not a 10 goal striker, that's the issue. I said "he's probably capable" of getting 10. His ACTUAL record at this level is terrible. So no, a player with his record doesn't "do it" for me at all. Coyle will have to do a lot of work to get 10 goals out of him, if he can do it at all.

If Coyle thinks he can offer something, fine. But does the signing "inspire" you?

We will miss Elmander for sure if he decides he wants out.

I dont understand all the massive hate for him. 12 goals this season and if he hadnt played the 2nd half of the season playing in CM RM then Im sure he would have scored a fair few more too.

• Moderators

But he's not a 10 goal striker, that's the issue. I said "he's probably capable" of getting 10. His ACTUAL record at this level is terrible. So no, a player with his record doesn't "do it" for me at all. Coyle will have to do a lot of work to get 10 goals out of him, if he can do it at all.

If Coyle thinks he can offer something, fine. But does the signing "inspire" you?

inspire what?

Noty sure what the love in is with Klasnic, we cannot afford to pay him 30 k per week and get about 10 games a season for him, too much of a luxury, I would rather get shut and spend the money elsewhere.

Because people like a good moan. Look at Defoe 4 prem goals this season that lad has scored in a far better side

inspire what?

You don't get what is meant by someone saying a signing is 'inspiring' or 'uninspiring'? If you're not being deliberately obtuse then that's concerning.

Would us signing Nugent make you think "great, we've got David Nugent, we might really do something next season"? Do you EXPECT him to have a significant impact?

Martin Petrov?

Right, but all that shows is that not all inspiring signings work. All I said was "hardly inspiring"; which doesn't seem an odd comment regarding a player who has had seasons to do something at this level and never has.

The fact that some signings don't work out doesn't make Nugent more appealing.

if we had 3/4 other forwards waiting in the wings, that might be true

Hopefully Nugent signing won't mean Coyle thinks 'job done' in that department, I just couldn't see the point in negativity when Nugent's arrival seems like a done deal. For what it's worth I think Rodrigo needs to start (in his correct position) these last two games - get a proper look at him, then decide if we can/should try extend his loan.

• Moderators

Benfica indeed.

Allegedly still only 29yrs old! He's scored 9 in 20-odd league games this season and similar stats last year.

Hardly setting the world on fire, but Carlos will know more about it/him.

Saviola is a great player but I can't see him in this league. Benfica need to do something to catch Porto up (it's a 2 club league now Sporting have dropped off). Depends on what happens to Cardozo really.

I have heard the same, one thing Nugent will give is great movement something we have not had for a while, do not think he will be prolific but I think he could do a reasonable job.

If he ends up being one of our first choice strikers i fear relegation battle

We always seemed to be linked with Nugent, don't know why like, average, rather go for some unknown foreign player.

Spot on diddles, me too.

2nd rate (well thats being generous, bog bloody average championship standard shite) english gash, no thanks

Nobody's making Nugent out to be the second coming FFS, based on what other reliable sources have said it seems like a done deal though - are we getting our slatings in early? so at his first miscontrolled pass or failure to chase down a lost cause we can turn round and say "I told you he was shite".

Id rather have someone on the pitch that will be a goal threat for 60 mins (like klasnic) than play someone toss like nugent just cos he can run round.

I think you can get 90 mins out of Klasnic, just dont have him running around like a headless chicken, let him do what hes good at, putting the ball in the back of the net, the only problem with that is a lot of Bolton fans like the headless chicken look and will vent that 'he doesn't work hard enough' , also to play Klasnic we have to change the way we play, the ball will have to be on the deck and to feet, no lumping it up to the man on top for Davies thats fine of Klasnic you may as well have the tea lady on

Nobody's making Nugent out to be the second coming FFS, based on what other reliable sources have said it seems like a done deal though - are we getting our slatings in early? so at his first miscontrolled pass or failure to chase down a lost cause we can turn round and say "I told you he was shite".

i rate players based off what ive seen over their careers, hes championship standard. Im not a fan who calls someone shit when they play for x then suddenly when linked with bolton/sign for bolton change their tune to "hes alright actually". Yes if he signs i'll give him a chance etc what im saying though if hes the calabre of striker we're gonna go for then i think we've potential problems in the goalscoring department. Pity we can list every player around and put what we think next them and see how peoples opinions change when we're linked with them at a later date

I think you can get 90 mins out of Klasnic, just dont have him running around like a headless chicken, let him do what hes good at, putting the ball in the back of the net, the only problem with that is a lot of Bolton fans like the headless chicken look and will vent that 'he doesn't work hard enough' , also to play Klasnic we have to change the way we play, the ball will have to be on the deck and to feet, no lumping it up to the man on top for Davies thats fine of Klasnic you may as well have the tea lady on

Agree totally with you - we have to stop lumping it to play klasnic (hence a word in the ears of knight and steinsson particualrly would be need on that front), but then you have to have midfielders (and over lapping full backs) who are comfortable on the ball - have we got many of those aside from holden and lee? muamba, talentless in possession, taylor runs with his head down at times into trouble, full backs treat the ball like a hot potato at times etc

Kevin Davies was hardly seen as the signing of the century but look at how valuable he has been since his arrival, goes to show that every player should be given a chance to show what he can do before being written off as dog shit.

Edited by Big_Sharps

Absolutely!

There are parallels with KDavies - like his career went south when he did.

I would have been happy to take Nugent from Bury - or Preston.

He is now just 26, and one of a very select (!) trio with one goal from one England sub appearance. He could be a failure with all that might imply for our potential goal tally, but he might be a success (and certainly value for money!). He has worked with OC, so there is an awareness there, not a step into the unknown.

He certainly needs to be given a chance by the supporters, and some of the comments above are not good. Let's see what happens. (But I do agree that he is not 'job done' so far as strikers are concerned.)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.