Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Season To Date..

Ratwhite

• Site Supporter

After seeing the pre-season used as a "fitness" only session (and for showcasing unwanted talent); and after seeing the first four games I have come to the conclusion that our Dougie is using the first half a dozen games (rather than Pre-season) to get to grips with the players, squad and system.

I'm not saying he isn't bothered about results, that would be ridiculous. However only in a competitive match can he really see how systems and players fair, (and with the first six games how we measure up against what is a good cross section of the league).

He knows this league inside out and the demands placed on squads over the 46 games (plus cup matches, hopefully) whilst the start has been a little lack lustre, I still believe that come January we will be sat (Seb Coe style) on the shoulders of the top four, pressing and waiting for them to crumble.

I'm not going to make comparisons to Palace last season or Reading the season before, but after looking at the performances (in sections) we have looked good.

I didn't think QPR were that special, in fact I would say Reading we're far superior. The Reading that lost at Blackpool on Saturday! That result somes up the Championship for me.

In short, after getting the frustration of the home defeat out of my system, and taking a step back to look at the bigger picture. I'm still confident that my £46.72 at 7/2 for promotion (with Mr Wm Hill) is a good bet. Even though we are 5/1 now.

Onwards and upwards, in DF we should all trust.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Supporter

On that basis. What would you say df has learnt so far?

Im not DF Eavesy, just my opinion, Like Jules said, he tinkered last year to got it right and sure he did same at Palace.

Look into them eyes of his, there's steel there, He's a winner. LL behind him, we will be there come business end of season. This guy can walk the walk unlike Coyle

Edited by Ratwhite

Im not DF Eavesy, just my opinion, Like Jules said, he tinkered last year to got it right and sure he did same at Palace.

Look into them eyes of his, there's steel there, He's a winner. LL behind him, we will be there come business end of season. This guy can walk the walk unlike Coyle

Was just wondering. In my opinion i think the biggest lesson we've had is that direct and getting the ball in the box is the most effective strategy there is. And we've committed to giving that up. And it's going to take a massive change from the fans to appreciate that. (For instance not going barmy when we have to go backwards to 'start again'

• Site Supporter

Was just wondering. In my opinion i think the biggest lesson we've had is that direct and getting the ball in the box is the most effective strategy there is. And we've committed to giving that up. And it's going to take a massive change from the fans to appreciate that. (For instance not going barmy when we have to go backwards to 'start again'

Agreed, it took time last season for the larger percent o appreciate this. The fact is the M0ngs amongst us can't see this, hence calls for his head by some already.

Would have DF over Arry, Billy Davies, Zola etc. he's on the upward curve careerwise, we WILL be part of his success. Sam did it his way, DF doing it his way.

I'm not going to make comparisons to Palace last season or Reading the season before, but after looking at the performances (in sections) we have looked good.

Onwards and upwards, in DF we should all trust.

At this date last year Palace were 24th after 3 defeats.

After 4 matches they were 23rd with 3 pts.

But....

...the less foresighted amongst us football visionaries might suggest that all this tinkering should have been done pre-season and that there weren't enough 1st team run outs.

It's a slight possibility, is it not?

I'm not overly concerned by the start, a few tough games out of the way and expected a slow start anyway.

What concerns me more is that I think Forest and Watford both look pretty good from what I have seen so far. Hobbs and Mackie look they could be the steals of the season for Forest.  I had hoped we might manage to be scraping top 2 with QPR but Forest/Watford look much better equipped for that at this early stage.

QPR haven't clicked yet but are still right up there and griding out results the hard way.  I suspect they will win the league at a canter with a pretty high points total.

• Moderators

But....

...the less foresighted amongst us football visionaries might suggest that all this tinkering should have been done pre-season and that there weren't enough 1st team run outs.

It's a slight possibility, is it not?

Aye, not panicking but I don't buy some of these excuses

He's been here 10 months, already had us on the up and brought in his own players so not sure we can still say he's still finding his best team or system

Im undecided as to how shit our squad is but if we are comparing us to palace im certain its better than there"s was

Aye, not panicking but I don't buy some of these excuses

He's been here 10 months, already had us on the up and brought in his own players so not sure we can still say he's still finding his best team or system

Im undecided as to how shit our squad is but if we are comparing us to palace im certain its better than there"s was

So another manager who can't make the most of a decent squad?

Edited by boltondiver

Any championship team missing Eagles, Mavies, Holden ( & Moritz isn't fit ) would struggle without any of its' creative midfielders, Beckford will be a different player when one of these players can give him some service, Wheater, Chungy & N'Gog haven't been fully fit, & the back four has 3 new players from last season so is sure to take time to gel. When all this settles down we will get better & better.

Alongside the current team there has been a greater emphasis on bringing on our own players, whether pinching other clubs' promising youngsters or gradually integrating our own highly rated youth players.

We can't afford to try & buy instant ( & short term ) success, so trying to build for the long term has got to be the right policy even if it means we have some setbacks in the short term.

• Moderators

Last season it was where were reading at Christmas now it's how did palace start the season, bottom line is he's got to pick a formation pick the players for that formation and stick with it to give it a chance to work.

he can't plan for injuries

following your logic, if we pick a formation that suits the players available, that formation will change when key players are unavailable

key players like eagles, ngog, even pratley

i even read somebody moaning he played sordell pre season when he should have playing an unfit ngog and beckford who hadn't been signed

#plantpots

he can't plan for injuries

following your logic, if we pick a formation that suits the players available, that formation will change when key players are unavailable

key players like eagles, ngog, even pratley

i even read somebody moaning he played sordell pre season when he should have playing an unfit ngog and beckford who hadn't been signed

#plantpots

No he can't plan for injuries but when he's got the squad fully available barring Davies and Holden he has to get some consistency in selection and formation, granted he's had bad Luck with injuries.

What I cannot be doing with is throw away statements from managers good or bad! DF "we didn't quite do enough to win", "Our players gave everything that they had" talk about contradictions!!!

Sounds like we had better get used to not quite good enough?

Rat, I do believe you are correct

He tinkered massively last season before the run

And I back him to "learn" from it rather than just "react"

Saturday was poo though :)

We were lucky with that run though - we were poor in most games (apart from Hull) and stole many points where we could have lost games