Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England V Uruguay

L/H White

Too early for a beer?

Can't wait for this, just hoping we have something to play for in the last game.

Am I right in thinking we can lose this and still have something to play for?

If we lose and Italy win then its

Italy 6

Costa Rica 3

Uruguay 3

England 0

Then we beat Costa Rica by a few goals in the last match and Italy win again and it finishes

Italy 9

England 3

Costa Rica 3

Uruguay 3

with us going through on goal diffence as long as we win by enough.

Not that I want us to try this theory out but we could still be in it with 2 opening losses.

Am I right in thinking we can lose this and still have something to play for?

If we lose and Italy win then its

Italy 6

Costa Rica 3

Uruguay 3

England 0

Then we beat Costa Rica by a few goals in the last match and Italy win again and it finishes

Italy 9

England 3

Costa Rica 3

Uruguay 3

with us going through on goal diffence as long as we win by enough.

Not that I want us to try this theory out but we could still be in it with 2 opening losses.

Yes, but as Carlos points out, Italy could settle for a draw tomorrow to shut England out. However they would risk having to avoid defeat against Uruguay, making it a high-risk strategy.

If England win by 2 tonight a 3-way tie is still feasible, with lots drawn for 1st, 2nd, and out.

The reason Spain (and Australia) are 'out' is because they have yet to meet, and so are each 6 points down.

However, there is the possibility that Chile will be docked 3 points for the supporters misbehaviour (crashing into the media centre), therby allowing Spain another chance.

Edited by MalcolmW

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.