Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Usa - The Midwest

Garrp

Sorry for the thinly veiled but has anyone been as I need some help.

Booked return flights to Toronto for October with a few mates.

First 10 days we're doing Toronto - Nigara falls - Cleveland - Chicago.

After that mates go home and I've got 6 nights on my own as staying out there for the New Orleans Saints v Detroit Lions game (in Detroit).

Obviously Detroit is a bit of a shit hole so I want to map out a route for those 5 nights from Chicago to Detroit. Does anyone know some decent places to stop off at and stay over?

I was thinking of driving up the left hand side of lake michigan and getting the ferry over to Muskegon, onto Grand rapids and down to Detroit.

Would this be a good route, or anything better?

The drive from Chicago up to Miluwakee is great, loys of nice little towns by the lake, especially Kenosha. Miluwakee itself is good, its a pissheads paradise, loads of breweries there, and a nice town to visit. South Bend is ok, but only for a look at notre dame, aside of that nowt there. Ive also been to Lansing and Kalamazoo, nowt much going on there, and Ann Arbour is a nice university town, lots of student gash.

The drive from Chicago up to Miluwakee is great, loys of nice little towns by the lake, especially Kenosha. Miluwakee itself is good, its a pissheads paradise, loads of breweries there, and a nice town to visit. South Bend is ok, but only for a look at notre dame, aside of that nowt there. Ive also been to Lansing and Kalamazoo, nowt much going on there, and Ann Arbour is a nice university town, lots of student gash.

Thanks mate  :good:

I was considering just flying to New York for 4 nights and then flying back to Detroit if there wasn't anywhere decent to go but feel like it will be a waste if don't try some of these places. Your description of Milwaukee has convinced me to do that route :)

• Members

Lads reet about Milwaukee. I know the area from Chicago all the way to Green Bay very well.

If you get chance to visit the Wisconsin Dells, do it. Take a Wisconsin Duck (DUKW) tour. Ex military amphibious vehicles which just go and handle anything in their way be it land or water. Excellent. 

http://www.wisconsinducktours.com/

Even better, if you get a chance to take in a Wisconsin Badgers college football game at Camp Randall, Madison, definitely do it. Luckily done it 4 times and been an unforgettable party on each occasion. By the fuck, they know how to party from 9am til the following morning. As others have mentioned, Milwaukee is brewers paradise so you'll have no problems finding plenty to drink throughout the dairy state!

Staying over - definitely Madison. Pussy galore. If you're wanting to feel more at one with nature, anywhere up around the Dells. If you're interested in aeronautical stuff, check out Oshkosh.

My favourite US state.

• Site Supporter

Driving off the freeways is slow going. Driving on the freeways is quicker but you see fuck all. The only landmarks are the water towers. I'm convinced they're only there to give drivers a point of reference.

Also, you'll see just how little money is invested in anything that isn't a major city. We flew to Toronto and drove to Niagra, stayed overnight in a motel (The whole town of Niagra is a shit hole) Falls are a must-see though so put up with the shit-holeness.

Drove to Mansfield Ohio on our way to Indianapolis. It was like driving onto the set of Happy Days. Everything just looked late 1950s.

Take me with you. I was speaking to Smiley about this last night. I just want to go back and see more and more of the US. I think it takes a while, when you return, to process what you've seen and done.

Sounds like a few free rides there Garp :D 

Driving off the freeways is slow going. Driving on the freeways is quicker but you see fuck all. The only landmarks are the water towers. I'm convinced they're only there to give drivers a point of reference.

Also, you'll see just how little money is invested in anything that isn't a major city. We flew to Toronto and drove to Niagra, stayed overnight in a motel (The whole town of Niagra is a shit hole) Falls are a must-see though so put up with the shit-holeness.

Drove to Mansfield Ohio on our way to Indianapolis. It was like driving onto the set of Happy Days. Everything just looked late 1950s.

It's like a shit beach resort in the UK

do the helecopter flight over niagra its amazing.

• Site Supporter

It's like a shit beach resort in the UK

do the helecopter flight over niagra its amazing.

I'd go with that. Kind of Blackpool without a sea or tower. 

By the way Garrp, CN Tower in Toronto. Got to see.

I'd go with that. Kind of Blackpool without a sea or tower. 

By the way Garrp, CN Tower in Toronto. Got to see.

the revolving restaurant at the top of the Skylon tower was pretty decent IIRC.

and yes the CN tower is a good do, the little perching seats at the bottom so you can look up to the top of the tower without falling over were a good touch.

The GF lived in Kalamazoo for 6-12 months - will see what she can recommend. 

Loads to do in Toronto... get out to the island and hire a bike and ride around taking in the views of the nudist beach! Go to a ball game and def go up the CN Tower. If you get chance at the falls, spend a few quid and do the Maid of Mist, helicopter and the Jet Boat tour. Well worth it. Niagara-by-the-Lake is very very quaint, all little white picket fencing, etc.

Shopping in Toronto is worthwhile - Eaton Centre. And there's plenty of those discount malls on the outskirts of Niagara.

I was thinking of driving up the left hand side of lake michigan and getting the ferry over to Muskegon, onto Grand rapids and down to Detroit.

Would this be a good route, or anything better?

Christ, a few years is a long time on WW.  I remember this cunt shitting himself as he'd have to work out how to get across London by tube for the flight out to Skopje. :rolleyes2:

• Site Supporter

Christ, a few years is a long time on WW. I remember this cunt shitting himself as he'd have to work out how to get across London by tube for the flight out to Skopje. :rolleyes2:

We've all been there Satan. I remember being green as fuck landing in Holland as a shy 20 year old lad who knew nowt - bloody great learning curve that was! :)