Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Farage

voodoo ray

My cross-country colleague at school did languages (French and German to 'A' level). He did not want a literature-based course, as was offered by all the major unis, but chose to do a business-related language course at Salford, dual honours in German and Italian (the latter from scratch). It was a four-year course, as is standard for modern languages, with the third year on placements for 6 months each in Italy and Germany.

He worked for the US Navy in Trieste, which was very well paid, and then Bayer in Leverkusen, who gave him the offer of a post from when he graduated. He took a year out after graduating, simply gambling on horses, and being kept by his radiographer girlfriend. Then he went to work as a translator in the European Parliament. After about 40 years in Luxemburg and Brussels they have now retired to Shropshire.

Sadly, Salford no longer has language courses.

Sorry Malcolm, they do I'm afraid, full range of language courses.

• Site Supporter

Far too much emphasis on degrees these days. Originally a university place was there for the most accademically able. As it should be, and unless parents earned above a given a amount, the place was there purely on ability not wealth. Nowadays there are far too many unis. which has resulted in devaluation of a degree. Many employers now undertake additional testing to separate out better candidates. Sadly many young people have their aspirations unfairly raised by the concept of having a qualification that no longer has the credibility it once had. Leaving them saddled with debt, (this doesn't include living costs) is unfair. There are different ways into a successful career, and all these should be used. Instead there is too much emphasis on going along what seems to be the socially accepted norm.

Fook all wrong with proper apprenticeships etc

My assistant hasn't got a degree. She is however a sponge with a fantastic attitude, learning on the job along with going to college. She's a brilliant girl & I am pleased to have her. I think she will learn and contribute more in the next 3 years than many university graduates will bring to the same role fresh from college. I'm not anti graduates at all, I just feel employers should look beyond a spruced up fancy cv when employing staff.

Edited by no balls

I totally agree with Smiffs, the 1st thing companies are looking for these days is a degree in whatever, no-one wants anyone with common sense and years of experience

Is that how you've got lumbered with Daffyd?

• Site Supporter

bwfcfan5...if you can get some computer boffin to fix my laptop to allow it to use the 'quote' function then their education will have been worthwhile :D

See SatanGreavsies post from site issues and questions.

Well no thanks to you lot I sorted it - just so people know, if you add wws to compatibility view in the compatibility view settings menu, then it's reet.

I had to do it on my laptop. Search the help menu for compatibility view. It puts a text box down for you to add websites to your list of compatible sites. If I managed it I'm sure you can!

This lot announcing their immigration policies today??

Will Make or break em today.

An interesting point this morning, commonwealth folk will have the same rights as Europeans. Does that not undermine the belief that UKIP don't want fuzzy wuzzies in this country?

Oh and he made sense too. The interviewer asked how will cope without foreign nurses. He pretty much said how about we try training folk over here to do it. I have wondered that myself. Maybe Kent can help with that one.

An interesting point this morning, commonwealth folk will have the same rights as Europeans. Does that not undermine the belief that UKIP don't want fuzzy wuzzies in this country?

Oh and he made sense too. The interviewer asked how will cope without foreign nurses. He pretty much said how about we try training folk over here to do it. I have wondered that myself. Maybe Kent can help with that one.

They do make some interesting points to be honest.

Making us a stricter nation like Australia wouldn't be a bad thing.

Think most rational folk know the laws need tightening up. It's just how we go about it and keeping in with the EU/fucking off out of it.

It would be an interesting debate if the chest thumpers didn't ruin it.

Edit - and the lefty yoghurt sniffers didnt banish any reforms as racist bigotry. :-)

Edited by gonzo

He pretty much said how about we try training folk over here to do it. I have wondered that myself. Maybe Kent can help with that one.

I absolutely agree with him and I've made the same point time after time. You're not telling me there aren't 100,000 unqualified (and/or unemployed) yet capable UK nationals who could be retrained as Nurses?

Amongst other things that are drummed into us in Uni, one of the biggest is the need for excellent communication between Nursing staff and patients. We recently took on 50 odd Spanish Nurses up at Bolton Hospital. With the best will in the world, even though I've no doudt their clinical skills are excellent, in terms of communication - these Nurses are going to struggle with the language, accent and dialect. Meanwhile - we have good, capable people in Bolton who are stuck of benefits who could make great Nurses but can't get on the Uni course because of the entry criteria.

Me and Nigel agree on quite a few things in actuality. I just don't think the rank and file of UKIP would be capable of running a government.

I absolutely agree with him and I've made the same point time after time. You're not telling me there aren't 100,000 unqualified (and/or unemployed) yet capable UK nationals who could be retrained as Nurses?

Amongst other things that are drummed into us in Uni, one of the biggest is the need for excellent communication between Nursing staff and patients. We recently took on 50 odd Spanish Nurses up at Bolton Hospital. With the best will in the world, even though I've no doudt their clinical skills are excellent, in terms of communication - these Nurses are going to struggle with the language, accent and dialect. Meanwhile - we have good, capable people in Bolton who are stuck of benefits who could make great Nurses but can't get on the Uni course because of the entry criteria.

Me and Nigel agree on quite a few things in actuality. I just don't think the rank and file of UKIP would be capable of running a government.

Go into the town centre on a working week day. See how many people you can find who you'd want to nurse you through a severe illness.......

• Site Supporter

Go into the town centre on a working week day. See how many people you can find who you'd want to nurse you through a severe illness.......

Might be one for me when I fail teacher training..

Forage made a great point in that a doctor from India will have to jump hoops whereas anyone with no skills from Europe can come right over.. It's not a fair system..

Net migration last year was 25k? Really?

I'm sure there are plenty of people at the job centre I'd trust to nurse me through a severe illness. And in the town centre with the right encouragement and training.

There's also some who I wouldn't trust to mind my car for 15 minutes - but in general I have faith in the people of the UK.

Something simply does not add up here Kent. Last year at my access course at Trafford college there was a smart  and very bright 30 year old Canadian born girl (she had British parents) and she applied to 3 North West universities to study physio via NHS course and was turned down by all (she could not apply to other regions because of child care) She then tried nursing and after being turned down by two again, she scraped in at Salford but had wait for the March intake and actually starts today. The places are highly sought after and yet we seem to be short of qualified nurses?

Something simply does not add up here Kent. Last year at my access course at Trafford college there was a smart and very bright 30 year old Canadian born girl (she had British parents) and she applied to 3 North West universities to study physio via NHS course and was turned down by all (she could not apply to other regions because of child care) She then tried nursing and after being turned down by two again, she scraped in at Salford but had wait for the March intake and actually starts today. The places are highly sought after and yet we seem to be short of qualified nurses?

Yeah it's daft. Nursing is a practical vocation as far as I'm concerned. Just like being a mechanic or a builder but with a different skill set. It's become more of an academic pursuit since they changed it from a diploma to a degree a few years back. Consequently - a lot of very capable Nurses who have been doing the job for years, would nowadays not even be able to get onto the course. The job has changed in that we have taken some of the responsibilities that the Doctors used to have and HCA's have taken a lot of the responsibility the Nurses used to have. Consequently they 'require' a degree level education to provide care.

Don't get me wrong - I'm chuffed I've had the opportunity to study and have my fees paid - but I'm not convinced it's absolutely necessary. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the qualification reverting back to a diploma in a year or two. Glad to hear that this girl managed to get onto the course though. HBWHT?

Yeah it's daft. Nursing is a practical vocation as far as I'm concerned. Just like being a mechanic or a builder but with a different skill set. It's become more of an academic pursuit since they changed it from a diploma to a degree a few years back. Consequently - a lot of very capable Nurses who have been doing the job for years, would nowadays not even be able to get onto the course. The job has changed in that we have taken some of the responsibilities that the Doctors used to have and HCA's have taken a lot of the responsibility the Nurses used to have. Consequently they 'require' a degree level education to provide care.

Don't get me wrong - I'm chuffed I've had the opportunity to study and have my fees paid - but I'm not convinced it's absolutely necessary. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the qualification reverting back to a diploma in a year or two. Glad to hear that this girl managed to get onto the course though. HBWHT?

Quite a nice pair for such a small girl. I used to enjoy working with her when Spring came around and she turned up in tight T shirts!