Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Here We Go - Itk Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

It amazes me that the regime that got us into this sorry state has got off so lightly - and that there aren't more like Mounts expressing their justifiable anger. What's the point some may argue, we are where we are etc. True, but unless we understand how we got here, how can we prevent it happening again? And surely there has to be some basic accountability and taking of responsibility? Phil Gartside is gravely ill. I wish him all the best, as all right minded people do. That doesn't stop us asking some basic questions though about what the fuck has been going on under his watch. And why, if he's stepped down, hasn't some other well paid director stepped up? Trevor Birch is trying to identify as many saleable assets as he can, he's not the chief executive. It's almost been left to Neil Lennon to play that role - and given he's struggling with the job he's being paid for (or not) at the moment, that doesn't make sense either. I've no idea what Terry Robinson is supposed to be doing that others on the board couldn't be doing. We've not heard a peep from any of the fuckers while this has been going on. Brett Warburton? More concerned with getting his loan back by all accounts. They've all been happy to take money out of the club - even when costs elsewhere have been slashed over the past couple of years - so why can't they meet this tax bill out of their own deep pockets? Pockets which are now a lot deeper thanks to their association with BWFC. And how did it come to this anyway -not being able to pay wages or tax bills, whilst allowing the manager to bring in half a dozen or more players in on loan or on contracts, even up to a couple of months ago? And where did the £2m Ream fee go?

How the fuck are we losing £1m a month when our wage bill is now reportedly about average for the league - having been slashed under Lennon, which has led to shite like Madine being brought in, which is why we're bottom of the league? (not that he hasn't made mistakes, brought players in who he then hasn't played etc). How are other clubs not losing that amount - especially as most of them haven't got parachute payments to rely on? And don't give me it's because they're all charging miles more for tickets than us - most aren't. And our ticket revenue is much less than our parachute payments anyway.

It's the same crazy economics which showed £20m and £30m losses a year over several years in the Premier League even when we were finishing a good 10 places higher than we'd apparently budgeted for (thus bringing in an extra £6m a year or so), with a wage bill which was always lower than our place in the league (apart from maybe our last season, but the debt had risen massively by then anyway) and at a time of rapidly rising TV revenues. As I said at the time, no other club of our size and income and expenditure was posting losses anything like that (in fact no club of our size was achieving what we were achieving, thanks to Allardyce's astute management - not Gartside's financial mismanagement). It didn't add up then and it doesn't add up now. And anybody who seriously thinks Eddie Davies has really lost £150m of his own money (when he was only ever worth about £100m according to rich lists), is deluding themselves. As Allardyce says in his autobiography, he's a tough, ruthless businessman who 'wanted a return'. Isn't it strange how his desire to be involved with BWFC has waned just as the Premier League and Sky taps have been turned off? Funny that.

well put David, can't argue with any of that! How the hell are Blackburn better off than us on smaller crowds and by far much cheaper tickets (they are practically giving them away and have been for many years) plus Rhodes is on a reported 50k a week

Wigan and Blackburn consistently sold players for decent money in the Prem and have done even since they came down.

Since relegation Blackburn have sold Scott Dann, Gestede and Cairney for decent money. Wigan have shifted McCarthy, McArthur and McManaman.

For numerous reasons that hasn't happened at Bolton - we've just sold Sordell, Ream &  Lee for less than we paid for them , given players away and sold kids for pennies. 

BSA's short termist transfer strategy, horrendous injuries to our more saleable assets and some mystifying decisions by other clubs who should have bough Cahill 6-12 months before he actually left us means we've never sold for the going rate since Anelka. But the biggest issue has been overpaying on the wages of some very average players.

That said if we had sold at the right times, no doubt folk would have been slating the club's 'lack of ambition' in failing to 'speculate to accumulate.'

Wigan and Blackburn consistently sold players for decent money in the Prem and have done even since they came down.

Do you think if wigan and Blackburn hadn't sold them players they'd be in the same situation as us? I don't.

Since relegation Blackburn have sold Scott Dann, Gestede and Cairney for decent money. Wigan have shifted McCarthy, McArthur and McManaman.

For numerous reasons that hasn't happened at Bolton - we've just sold Sordell, Ream & Lee for less than we paid for them , given players away and sold kids for pennies.

BSA's short termist transfer strategy, horrendous injuries to our more saleable assets and some mystifying decisions by other clubs who should have bough Cahill 6-12 months before he actually left us means we've never sold for the going rate since Anelka. But the biggest issue has been overpaying on the wages of some very average players.

That said if we had sold at the right times, no doubt folk would have been slating the club's 'lack of ambition' in failing to 'speculate to accumulate.'

Wigan and Blackburn consistently sold players for decent money in the Prem and have done even since they came down.

For numerous reasons that hasn't happened at Bolton - we've just sold Sordell, Ream & Lee for less than we paid for them , given players away and sold kids for pennies.

BSA's short termist transfer strategy, horrendous injuries to our more saleable assets and some mystifying decisions by other clubs who should have bough Cahill 6-12 months before he actually left us means we've never sold for the going rate since Anelka. But the biggest issue has been overpaying on the wages of some very average players.

Do you think wigan and Blackburn would be in the mess we are if they hadn't sold them players? I don't.

Ironic that the same people who were ripping into the club last window for not spending big on a striker or matching Wolves money for ALF are now having a go at the club for not being prudent with the money.

You can't have it both ways. Unless you haven't a clue, obviously.

Wigan had 7 years in the premier league drop 2 divisions outbid us for players looking to buy our training ground not in any debt as far as I know the contrast to how BWFC has been run is stark.

Said it all along, this is because they had a battle hardened retailer at the helm. Get the basics right (ale, pies. bovril, ticket prices)and cut like hell when things go sour.

Out mob have been too busy giving each other reacharounds and pats on the back.

Do you think if wigan and Blackburn hadn't sold them players they'd be in the same situation as us? I don't.

Maybe, maybe not. Its impossible to know what other decisions they would have made.

Simple fact is they did sell players and we didn't and if we had folk would likely have been moaning.

And whose responsibility is the transfer policy? To get the best price for players you're selling and to pay the minimum for players you're bringing in? To not sell Cahill for £13m plus players from Spurs when the offer was there, and then to sell for half that a few months later? Or to piss £3m away on a kid from Watford who we then never played - and carry on giving the bloke who made that decision more money for inflated wages the following summer - after we were relegated? Oh yeah, that must have been the fans fault as well. Open your fucking eyes.

And whose responsibility is the transfer policy? To get the best price for players you're selling and to pay the minimum for players you're bringing in? To not sell Cahill for £13m plus players from Spurs when the offer was there, and then to sell for half that a few months later? Or to piss £3m away on a kid from Watford who we then never played - and carry on giving the bloke who made that decision more money for inflated wages the following summer - after we were relegated? Oh yeah, that must have been the fans fault as well. Open your fucking eyes.

sure

But, what is the point of looking backwards at the moment?

There should be an opportunity for "truth and reconciliation" afterwards, especially if the Supporters Trust assumes control and will see the in-depth books.

Best to focus on the present for the time being, in my view.

My eyes are well and truly open pal.

Somebody above made comments about Wigan and Blackburn - I pointed out the differences between the clubs in terms of player sales.

If you're not going to read the thread properly then you may as well just stick to your daft attendance boosting schemes.

• Site Supporter

When someone makes a point you don't agree with, it doesn't mean they're blaming you. 

Only 6 months a go many on here said that we should 'find the money to sign ALF'

Some of those same folk are now demanding to know how our outgoings are more than our incomings

We're in the shit because we didn't stop signing ALF's 3 years a go

There was little or no appetite for accepting relegation to league 1 2 or 3 years a go when we had our worst start for 100 years

It's a mess, granted

mistakes were made, granted

But we're not the first, we're not even in the first 30 out of 92 clubs in the league

Some folk think what's gone on is the biggest conspiracy since JFK's assassination, it's not, it's just a series of bad luck and bad judgment

Only 6 months a go many on here said that we should 'find the money to sign ALF'

Some of those same folk are now demanding to know how our outgoings are more than our incomings

We're in the shit because we didn't stop signing ALF's 3 years a go

There was little or no appetite for accepting relegation to league 1 2 or 3 years a go when we had our worst start for 100 years

It's a mess, granted

mistakes were made, granted

But we're not the first, we're not even in the first 30 out of 92 clubs in the league

Some folk think what's gone on is the biggest conspiracy since JFK's assassination, it's not, it's just a series of bad luck and bad judgment

only because we weren't privy to what's going on behind the scenes until the shit hits the fan,can't blame the fans for being ambitious! If everyone new the state we were in I don't think anyone would have been pushing for le fondre signature.

Yes we were privy

The accounts are released every year

We had less coming in than went out

And still folk wanted more, me included, as long as it came out of someone else's pocket

What we didn't know was when the well would dry up, maybe they didn't know either, have you thought about that?

Yes we were privy

The accounts are released every year

We had less coming in than went out

And still folk wanted more, me included, as long as it came out of someone else's pocket

What we didn't know was when the well would dry up, maybe they didn't know either, have you thought about that?

I pay for season ticket every year, not sure I should expected to as part of that deal to check the accounts, I assumed a % of the money I was paying would cover the cost of a qualified accountant to balance the books.

The issue is that we have paid and are paying too much for average players, even on Premier League Manager that does not work.