Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Seasonal Affective Disorder (S A D) Roll Call

DazBob

There's no need to be a bellend about it. The seasons don't affect your mood - that's great, have a biscuit. For other people life is very different and the seasons have a pronounced affect on their mood and energy levels, myself included. It got so bad about a decade ago that my Dr was prescribing me 20mg Citalopram in late August and I'd stay on it until the clocks went forward the year after and that happened year after year. And believe me - that fucking appointment with my GP as a 20 odd year old bloke was fucking horrible. But I was struggling to function - becoming isolated - giving up the things I enjoyed and having to go to bed at about 8ish to get anough sleep to get through work the next day. Basically I was suffering from depression for about 6 months of the year which is pretty fucking unpleasent.

I suffer less from it nowadays and don't take medication any more. I've changed my diet, started to do a lot more exercise and have developed ways of coping to get me through the winter, light box included (there is incidentally a lot of evidence that they help some people which is why you can get them VAT free if you've got a note from your GP). I still shit it about this time every year in case it comes back. Would I class myself as having SAD? Probably not - I don't need a label for it - I just know my mental health and physical health nosedives during winter.

Or maybe I'm just 'fucking bone idle' and 'like to use it as an excuse for being fucking lazy and miserable.'

Nobend!

I know the feeling, I'm in bed for 9pm to get 9 hours kip to get me through the following day.

Bang on

Every cunt these days has to have some kind of disorder, get to fuck you lazy bastards 

Oh and you flat dicks blaming the "time of the month" everytime your being a mard cunt doesn't wash with me either get a fucking grip, my old grandad used to say "never trust someone who bleeds for a week but doesn't die" and he was right. I cut myself shaving and it bleeds like a bastard but i don't start to cry at the drop of a fucking hat

Shove some bog paper on it! 

41045049-Old-Man-With-A-Bad-Shave-Nicks-

• Site Supporter

There's no need to be a bellend about it. The seasons don't affect your mood - that's great, have a biscuit. For other people life is very different and the seasons have a pronounced affect on their mood and energy levels, myself included. It got so bad about a decade ago that my Dr was prescribing me 20mg Citalopram in late August and I'd stay on it until the clocks went forward the year after and that happened year after year. And believe me - that fucking appointment with my GP as a 20 odd year old bloke was fucking horrible. But I was struggling to function - becoming isolated - giving up the things I enjoyed and having to go to bed at about 8ish to get anough sleep to get through work the next day. Basically I was suffering from depression for about 6 months of the year which is pretty fucking unpleasent.

I suffer less from it nowadays and don't take medication any more. I've changed my diet, started to do a lot more exercise and have developed ways of coping to get me through the winter, light box included (there is incidentally a lot of evidence that they help some people which is why you can get them VAT free if you've got a note from your GP). I still shit it about this time every year in case it comes back. Would I class myself as having SAD? Probably not - I don't need a label for it - I just know my mental health and physical health nosedives during winter.

Or maybe I'm just 'fucking bone idle' and 'like to use it as an excuse for being fucking lazy and miserable.'

Nobend!

Likewise

Last three Christmases have been horrendous. Around this time last year felt it start again. Unfortunately gp took me off sertraline after I had a seizure (ale induced). Huge mistake. Long story shortened, not long after being put on epilim, I was ready for topping myself.

Completely unable to sleep- managed eighty six hours awake before eventually being given temazepam.

Back on the sertraline now, and I am nearly off the sleeping tablets (the wife mixes it with vit d so don't know how much I'm taking!).

Can feel it again a lttle now the nights are lengthening, but nowhere near as bad. Finally feel able to overcome the seasonal fear!

What changes did you make to your diet?

When it gets to this stage I wish it would just crack on with it get right into winter.

Autumn just prolonges the agony. It's a good job I don't have this SAD caper or I'd be standing on the edge of North pier right now ready to jump in to a turd laden sea and end it all.

The next few months in my game is not for the faint hearted. No fancy lamp or diet tweek will alter any of it.

Edited by gonzo

Likewise

Last three Christmases have been horrendous. Around this time last year felt it start again. Unfortunately gp took me off sertraline after I had a seizure (ale induced). Huge mistake. Long story shortened, not long after being put on epilim, I was ready for topping myself.

Completely unable to sleep- managed eighty six hours awake before eventually being given temazepam.

Back on the sertraline now, and I am nearly off the sleeping tablets (the wife mixes it with vit d so don't know how much I'm taking!).

Can feel it again a lttle now the nights are lengthening, but nowhere near as bad. Finally feel able to overcome the seasonal fear!

What changes did you make to your diet?

I just tried to be as healthy as I could. Lots of green, leafy veg - less carbs especially in the afternoon and less boozing! :-)

Tried to do some sort of exercise everyday - just basic stuff really but it seemed to help.

The lamp was helpful as waking up was the hardest part. Set it to go off at about 6 and gradually get brighter and it made a big difference. Used to leave it on while I was having my breakfast because ideally you're supposed to have it on for about an hour.

Always go away in either October/November & February.

Xmas is in between and it just about gets me through our Winter.

I couldn't stomach freezing my tits off and getting pissed wet through in darkness for close on 4 months...

When I retire I will do so, somewhere with an all year round climate.

I feel for people who retire in the UK.

• Site Supporter

I just tried to be as healthy as I could. Lots of green, leafy veg - less carbs especially in the afternoon and less boozing! :-)

Tried to do some sort of exercise everyday - just basic stuff really but it seemed to help.

The lamp was helpful as waking up was the hardest part. Set it to go off at about 6 and gradually get brighter and it made a big difference. Used to leave it on while I was having my breakfast because ideally you're supposed to have it on for about an hour.

Used a basic daylight lamp last year- helped a little.

Interesting re the diet. Been eating far more veg this year; grown a load myself which helps. Recently stopped sugar in tea and cut out the biscuits and can feel the benefits.

Getting exercise is, thankfully, routine.

Absolute bollocks, it's right up there with Snake Oil

SAD doesn't fucking exist, it's just something that fucking bone idle people like to use as an excuse for being fucking lazy and miserable.

It's right up there with shit like ADHD, which is another "catch all" condition for people who don't want to admit their kids are naughty and can't be arsed to sort them out.  Or have lots of energy and again can't be arsed to help them channel it in a useful way.

The worlds gone fucking soft

Not sure I agree with the SAD bit though ;) It's the never seeing the sun all day that gets me - like being on nights.  Not so bad if your outside I suppose?