Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Relegation Day Statto Question

SatanGreavsie

Thinking about it, we've been relegated 7 times since I started going (assuming we down tomorrow).

I was deffo there when we went down to the 4th against Aldershot, when we got relegated at Chelsea in 98, when we went down at Stoke, and I know I wasn't there for the Charlton relegation. And I'll be there tomorrow.

But I can't for the life of me remember what game we actually got mathematically relegated at in 1979-80 and in 95-96. Maybe I was there but I'm fucked if I can remember.

Malc? Anyone?

79/80 - I've got in my head that we went to City and drew - that video on another thread when Reidy scored the pen kept us still up mathematically? Did we then lose to Utd at home and go down? Might be wrong

I think it was the defeat at Bristol City that sealed R.

Was 95-96 Southampton at home?

Rings a bell for some reason

Definitely remember some copper trying to arrest me for sitting on a bar on burnden terrace looking depressed. Looked up and they were chasing the few lads in the terrace out of the ground.. wankers

Thinking about it, we've been relegated 7 times since I started going (assuming we down tomorrow).

I was deffo there when we went down to the 4th against Aldershot, when we got relegated at Chelsea in 98, when we went down at Stoke, and I know I wasn't there for the Charlton relegation. And I'll be there tomorrow.

But I can't for the life of me remember what game we actually got mathematically relegated at in 1979-80 and in 95-96. Maybe I was there but I'm fucked if I can remember.

Malc? Anyone?

I reckon this is about the 10th relegation in my time. It doesn't get any easier.

Our caretaker manager wasn't it ?

Could be right there. Always had it in my head as Coleman.

Like Zico says you'd have thought we'd have gone long before end of the season. The Chelsea and Sheff Weds wins at home in Curcic's pomp probably helped prolonged things.

Remember the Southpampton fans taking the piss that day. Our lot were climbing the fences to get at em not taking it too kindly haha

I think Colin Todd is a vastly underrated part of our past. But his teams were always available for a sucker punch.

Colin cooper. Savo Milosovic. Paul Rideout. Jodi Morris. ....and on and on and on

Our caretaker manager wasn't it ?

It was indeed.

On the topic of Todd, to lose the likes of Stubbs, McAteer and Curcic in the space of 12 months and turn a 29 point season in to a champion team (in the truest sense of the word) would be getting him job offers all over the shop these days.

I was 11 yrs old when we got relegated from the old first division .It had been my first season supporting the club although I only went to a handful of games & I had no idea we were playing on a Fri night although I also knew that it was the decisive last game of the season that weekend.On the Saturday morning I went to get my dad's paper from the newsagents & on my way had the misfortune to bump into one of the odious traitors within the borough of Bolton who aligned himself with the red scum.

He taunted me that Bolton were relegated

& had played & lost the night before .Of course I didn't believe the artful dodger

Lookalike & ran like the clappers to get my hands on the Daily Mirror.

Roy Hartle's tearful picture was on the back page & I instantly knew we were done for.

Suffice to say I hated those cardboard Mancs ever since.

Wolves Friday night game for reasons before televised live football (1963)

Lost 4-0.

1971 was Charlton away I think or maybe that was later or maybe they did us twice !!

Thanks. Seems like i was probably at both.

Edited by Rembrandt

Malc? Anyone?

Having said all that I don't think I'll be there - feel like shit and not even drinking lightly, never mind heavily. Summat's up. 

We best win, so I can see them go down next week!

• Moderators

79/80 - I've got in my head that we went to City and drew - that video on another thread when Reidy scored the pen kept us still up mathematically? Did we then lose to Utd at home and go down? Might be wrong

79/80 was around easter

i dont think it was the defeat v the filth, but may have been the game later v boro, perhaps

i think it was a 2-2 draw?

79/80 was around easter

i dont think it was the defeat v the filth, but may have been the game later v boro, perhaps

i think it was a 2-2 draw?

The Boro match put us in the position we are now, having to win every remaining game and hope those above stayed within reach. So defeat at Bristol City the next weekend sealed it.

• Site Supporter

Changed my mind

A coupon busting 1-0 win for us.

Mark Davies comes off the bench and scores, goes to celebrate with the fans and is greeted with several hundred "wanker" gestures instead.