Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Being Thrown Out

Underpants

What's the worst match anybody has been to for violence? I think the Burnley away game back in 87 in the FA cup has to be the worst for me. Absolute carnage, especially after the game.

The Chelsea game sticks in my mind in the 70s when we won 2-1 at Burnden. Probably wasn't that bad but as a young lad I was scared to death. Started in the Lever End and ended up in the Manchester Road Paddock after running across the pitch.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Chelsea game sticks in my mind in the 70s when we won 2-1 at Burnden. Probably wasn't that bad but as a young lad I was scared to death. Started in the Lever End and ended up in the Manchester Road Paddock after running across the pitch.

My dad told me about a chelsea game at burnden when a St. John's ambulance man lost it after being heckled all game, he twatted one over the head with a comer flag then patched him up afterwards :D

• Members

My dad told me about a chelsea game at burnden when a St. John's ambulance man lost it after being heckled all game, he twatted one over the head with a comer flag then patched him up afterwards :D

Matt - I witnessed that mate and it is true - apart from the odd detail. What actually happened is the Chelsea lot were throwing full, unopened cans of ale off the pitch into the Burnden terrace (my mad brother in law tried to open one and drink it and soaked the fucking lot of us). St. Johns man was right by the half way line flag and a Chelsea lad kicked him up the arse. Quick as a flash, he yanked the half way line flag pole out of the ground and crunched it straight down on top of the Chelsea lads head  :D

Lad went down like a sack of spuds and I nearly lost it when the St. Johns bloke knelt down and started to dress the bleeding wound! Takes the concept of making work for yourself to a whole new level!

Matt - I witnessed that mate and it is true - apart from the odd detail. What actually happened is the Chelsea lot were throwing full, unopened cans of ale off the pitch into the Burnden terrace (my mad brother in law tried to open one and drink it and soaked the fucking lot of us). St. Johns man was right by the half way line flag and a Chelsea lad kicked him up the arse. Quick as a flash, he yanked the half way line flag pole out of the ground and crunched it straight down on top of the Chelsea lads head :D

Lad went down like a sack of spuds and I nearly lost it when the St. Johns bloke knelt down and started to dress the bleeding wound! Takes the concept of making work for yourself to a whole new level!

Love it thanks for clarifying. Miss my old mans burnden tales.

Being a bit younger than the old buzzards from the 70's day, I'd say the 82/83 game v Newcastle was one violent fucking affair.

Seemed to be non stop running battles before during and after.

Those bastards brought absolute shitloads down, most pissed and up for a ruck. Burnden Paddock and Manny Road North emulated Beirut for 90 minutes.

Thieving twats in the ticket office put the crowd at 25,000 when the capacity was 42,000.

No way could 17,000 more people have got into God's Patch that day.

Who on here went to the return match that season ?

I went with approx 200 at the most fellow Whites.

1-0 up early on, they equalised after 93mins, we went straight in front again before they equalised in the 130th minute with a 35 harder from Chris Waddle IIRC.

Always remember being kept in for ages afterwards, they had a large crew in red berets in the terrace to our right who were baying for our blood.

International scene - worst I've been involved in was Poland away in Warsaw in 99 on Saski Park.

A kraut fixer came into the Champions Sports Bar on central Warsaw and said the Poles are near the old town and want 100 v 100 on the park.

We went up, their 100 suddenly became 500, all tooled up with blades, bars and scaffolding tubes.

Fucking horrible bastards, 7 of our lot were cut up to fuck.

World is a small place though, one of the Legia Warsaw lads lives here and owns a Polksi shop.

We spoke the other day about the brawl.

He even felt sorry for us the horrible cunt.

Edited by miamiwhite

Don't know what it is, as I've never been a footy hooligan and I'm too long in the tooth to start now, but I love watching footy violence, always been infatuated with it from the 70's onwards. Even better, when BWFC  or England have wreaked havoc somewhere.

On the throwing out theme, got whizzed out at Coventry when we won 2-0 along with half a dozen of theirs when we had a slight set to in their end, didn't end well for me.

Turfed out at St Johnstone friendly, whizzed out after two seconds at Anfield when we won in the cup. I'd only got in the shitehole when McGinlay scored and straight out for jumping over the boards. York, 87. Burnley mid 80's.

Turfed out at the play off at Hampden in 99 and at Luxembourg on 98.

THROWN INTO Burnden v Darlington 85.

THROWN INTO Burnden v Darlington 85.

I went to the home game against Darlington back in 86, they brought a tidy firm, all geared up in the casual clothing. We won the game 4-3 and there was less than 4K on that game, I remember a mob of our lot waiting for the Darlo mob on Manny road, our lot legged it for a good 200 yards to get to their mob chased by about 3 coppers and then all hell broke loose in the middle of the road. Not bad for a crap attendance in division 3 or 4 ?

Edited by Blondi

Being a bit younger than the old buzzards from the 70's day, I'd say the 82/83 game v Newcastle was one violent fucking affair.

Seemed to be non stop running battles before during and after.

Those bastards brought absolute shitloads down, most pissed and up for a ruck. Burnden Paddock and Manny Road North emulated Beirut for 90 minutes.

Thieving twats in the ticket office put the crowd at 25,000 when the capacity was 42,000.

No way could 17,000 more people have got into God's Patch that day.

Who on here went to the return match that season ?

I went with approx 200 at the most fellow Whites.

1-0 up early on, they equalised after 93mins, we went straight in front again before they equalised in the 130th minute with a 35 harder from Chris Waddle IIRC.

Always remember being kept in for ages afterwards, they had a large crew in red berets in the terrace to our right who were baying for our blood.

International scene - worst I've been involved in was Poland away in Warsaw in 99 on Saski Park.

A kraut fixer came into the Champions Sports Bar on central Warsaw and said the Poles are near the old town and want 100 v 100 on the park.

We went up, their 100 suddenly became 500, all tooled up with blades, bars and scaffolding tubes.

Fucking horrible bastards, 7 of our lot were cut up to fuck.

World is a small place though, one of the Legia Warsaw lads lives here and owns a Polksi shop.

We spoke the other day about the brawl.

He even felt sorry for us the horrible cunt.

I was in the manny road for the Newcastle game few Geordies in there got twatted I was suprised they didn't come over the fences into the manny road after their lads got a shoeing. I was at the away game, weren't we stood in the corner? Pretty sure there was a Newcastle fan in our end with a kilt and Doc Martens on, was Whatmore on loan for us at the time, funnily enough I've only been kicked out once and that was also Coventry in that FA cup game down there.

I was in the manny road for the Newcastle game few Geordies in there got twatted I was suprised they didn't come over the fences into the manny road after their lads got a shoeing. I was at the away game, weren't we stood in the corner? Pretty sure there was a Newcastle fan in our end with a kilt and Doc Martens on, was Whatmore on loan for us at the time, funnily enough I've only been kicked out once and that was also Coventry in that FA cup game down there.

We were in the corner mate, think it was over New Year after we'd played Blackburn and Leeds.

Going into the banjo players section on the embankment gave them a shock didn't it haha ?

There was definitely a Geordie in our end with the kilt on, he must have known one of ours.

Not sure re Whatmore back on loan, thought that was the year later in the old third division.

Coventry in the cup.........very very naughty day indeed, especially when we went into their end before the match finished.........the all the ground emptied at the end of the match en masse and we didn't know who was who. Took a fair few slaps that day down that hill.

Got a great pic of our mob though before the match mate, will try and upload it.

Another ironic one, the pub we met in at Coventry before the match......Wyppin and Pippin or something like that.

The landlord was TB who ended up running the Stag on Daubhill a few years later.

T lives two doors from my mum and dad now.

I went to the home game against Darlington back in 86, they brought a tidy firm, all geared up in the casual clothing. We won the game 4-3 and there was less than 4K on that game, I remember a mob of our lot waiting for the Darlo mob on Manny road, our lot legged it for a good 200 yards to get to their mob chased by about 3 coppers and then all hell broke loose in the middle of the road. Not bad for a crap attendance in division 3 or 4 ?

Remember it went Blondi, they came on the train to Manchester, got the connection and got off at Moses Gate then went into the Moses Gates boozers. Ended up in The Greyhound Pub.

They wanted revenge after the pitch imvasion at Feethams when we beat them 3-0 in the Freight Rover the previous season.

Away from home, probably away at Oldham in the Ian Greaves era (I think it was) when City's game was off and the Kippax mob turned up. It was on for almost the entire second half - they kept coming in waves but we stood our ground and won out in the end. I had bollocks the size of coconuts the next day after a few well aimed boots found their target. Didn't feel it at the time, too much adrenaline. Another memory at Oldham was a crazed Rocker wound up by a few jeers and catcalls, coming back towards us on his Bonneville, naked from the waist up and brandishing a scimitar or similar. He got absolutely pummelled when a perfectly timed drop kick knocked him off his bike.

Ah Bolty, good on you pal, you've just lit that fire underneath me, and re-ignited my hatred for those backward, inbred, shithouse, yonner, fuckwit cunts from Oldham that I so despise. I get on OK with the Utd/City pondlife that live round here but the yonners are a different breed altogether

Don't know if it was the same game but I went to Oldham, must have been 75/76 or 76/77. Just before Xmas. My Dad's company had gone belly up due to a bent cunt fiddling the books and he had nowt, and I mean fucking nowt. His love for BWFC meant that he took me to see us play as one of my Xmas presents (couldn't afford to take my younger brother as well) and I would have been about 11 or 12 and I fucking loved him for it. He got us tickets on their paddock and being 11/12 I couldn't keep my mouth shut. I remember him telling me to keep my voice down ...........but my abiding memory of that game is that some fucking cunt picked his pocket and stole his wallet. He had fuck all and what he had was in that wallet and it was just before Xmas. I remember a lot of trouble at the game so it might have been the same game

Hatred is irrational but I hate those cunts

Ah Bolty, good on you pal, you've just lit that fire underneath me, and re-ignited my hatred for those backward, inbred, shithouse, yonner, fuckwit cunts from Oldham that I so despise. I get on OK with the Utd/City pondlife that live round here but the yonners are a different breed altogether

Don't know if it was the same game but I went to Oldham, must have been 75/76 or 76/77. Just before Xmas. My Dad's company had gone belly up due to a bent cunt fiddling the books and he had nowt, and I mean fucking nowt. His love for BWFC meant that he took me to see us play as one of my Xmas presents (couldn't afford to take my younger brother as well) and I would have been about 11 or 12 and I fucking loved him for it. He got us tickets on their paddock and being 11/12 I couldn't keep my mouth shut. I remember him telling me to keep my voice down ...........but my abiding memory of that game is that some fucking cunt picked his pocket and stole his wallet. He had fuck all and what he had was in that wallet and it was just before Xmas. I remember a lot of trouble at the game so it might have been the same game

Hatred is irrational but I hate those cunts

Sounds like the game when a Bolton fan went on the pitch and planted a Bolton flag on the centre spot.

Was only a nipper in the Chaddy End with my dad, it was heaving with Bolton.

I remember going in the Stanley Park pub ( Bluehouse ) before the league cup semi in 77, you could have cut the atmosphere with a stanley knife in that boozer, never known a more intimidating place, stayed in though with threats of nicking our jackets and just laughed it off. Been in since in later seasons and had no mither. Place shut down now.

Sounds like the game when a Bolton fan went on the pitch and planted a Bolton flag on the centre spot.

Was only a nipper in the Chaddy End with my dad, it was heaving with Bolton.

Could be. I know that I couldn't see much but that there was a lot of Bolton in the paddock and it was kicking off and my Dad telling me to be quiet and hide my scarf

Remember it went Blondi, they came on the train to Manchester, got the connection and got off at Moses Gate then went into the Moses Gates boozers. Ended up in The Greyhound Pub.

They wanted revenge after the pitch imvasion at Feethams when we beat them 3-0 in the Freight Rover the previous season.

Can't believe anyone remembers that day, you must be the Cass Pennant of Wanderersways!

It's weird the things that you remember from when you were a kid

If it's the game that I remember Chelsea took Burnden no matter what anyone says. They came out of the Embankment and took the Lever End. I was in the Manny Road stand with me Dad and those Chelsea that had been chucked out of The Lever End were waiting outside on the forecourt and attacking anyone coming out of the Manny Road side

Always remember seeing a lad who lived along the road from me jumping out of the Lever End mounting a solo charge across the pitch towards the Embankment wearing a trench coat and leather driving gloves. Tony Scott. His dad owned Scott's Brake Linings on that road parallel to the start of St Peters Way (bottom of Tonge Moor Road?)

• Moderators

Was going to say, in my eighties time as a wanderer we never caused in ground mayhem close to the sort Chelsea (more than once) Boro, Bradford and Sheff Utd did at our place

I think I remember even Wolves doing the full pitch charge at the Lever End

Was going to say, in my eighties time as a wanderer we never caused in ground mayhem close to the sort Chelsea (more than once) Boro, Bradford and Sheff Utd did at our place

I think I remember even Wolves doing the full pitch charge at the Lever End

I'd definitely go along with the Chelsea, Boro and Sheff Utd bit but Bradford didn't do much to be honest. Our ground was more than stood against those lot.

Wolves was 70's not 80's.

Would chuck in Leeds 82/83 amongst the others, they caused havoc on Manny Road.

Where did we cause havoc?

I've said before but got to know a lad from awol who was Wrexham and was one of their main lads.

He said the town wasn't he same after we'd been. They never got overran like that again.

Edited by gonzo

We were in the corner mate, think it was over New Year after we'd played Blackburn and Leeds.

Going into the banjo players section on the embankment gave them a shock didn't it haha ?

There was definitely a Geordie in our end with the kilt on, he must have known one of ours.

Not sure re Whatmore back on loan, thought that was the year later in the old third division.

Coventry in the cup.........very very naughty day indeed, especially when we went into their end before the match finished.........the all the ground emptied at the end of the match en masse and we didn't know who was who. Took a fair few slaps that day down that hill.

Got a great pic of our mob though before the match mate, will try and upload it.

Another ironic one, the pub we met in at Coventry before the match......Wyppin and Pippin or something like that.

The landlord was TB who ended up running the Stag on Daubhill a few years later.

T lives two doors from my mum and dad now.

Miami I am an ex Stags head local - born and bred in Daubhill

Must know you because was around for all the games you refer to

Getting back on the thread I was chucked out and had to return to the smoke for the court case when we lost to Chelsea 3-0 in the FA Cup - same season we took a shed load for the league cup game when we drew 1-1 then they thrashed us 6-0 in the replay. They knew what to expect and a large percentage of the shed went in the ofher end and our lot were jumping over the turnstiles to get out 30 minutes before the game. During the game a chelsea fan kept kicking my ankles and the coppers were watching and doing fuck all. I got pissed off and lamped him only for the coppers to drag me out and arrest me for the offence - still pissed off to this day and hate Chelsea

Edited by RUREADY2ROLL