Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

If we bring in Evatt and Doyle in the same week what a statement of intent that would send to the rest of div2.

We would then have the pick of uncontracted players wanting to come here.

Yes it might mean us going to the edge of FV  limits of what they want to spend but they need to be bold.

This is where Tobias  Phoenix will have to earn his money. 

1 minute ago, masi 51 said:

If we bring in Evatt and Doyle in the same week what a statement of intent that would send to the rest of div2.

We would then have the pick of uncontracted players wanting to come here.

Yes it might mean us going to the edge of FV  limits of what they want to spend but they need to be bold.

This is where Tobias  Phoenix will have to earn his money. 

Only if we can offer the salary they want. We might have to get creative.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Can we just end load the contract??

Next season on shite money but rest of contract will make up for it??

That would be madness. That sort of financing is what nearly saw us go pop.

Speculate to accumulate....We no longer have a under 23 team so I would rather us go for about six good quality players out of contract than 12 average ones. Not quite madness as we proberbly paid Robbie Blake more than any player will earn this coming season. six players on  that type of contract will still add up to 12 on basic wages.

Stipulate in the contracts that the bonus and second season depends on promotion. Maybe they will walk away but the will be plenty who will be hungry and confident enough to go for it.

We do not need a squad of 24/5. Wait until the retained list is out. I think off the top of my head we have maybe about a Dozen already signed for next season all be it youngsters. We only need about six quality signings to add to that. Revisit it in January. To many teams have players who get no further than the bench and are happy just picking wages up. We dont want or can afford those players next season.

3 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

You meed 2 players for each position + 3 keepes, so you need a squad of at least 23, you would hope a couple of those are utility players that can adapt to playing a number of positions, which is obviously needed when you get an influx of injuries.

Correct look last season key injuries to bridcutt & Crawford you need good back up not some kid sat on bench

league campaign plus 3 cup competitions to go at takes its toll 

9 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

We do not need a squad of 24/5. Wait until the retained list is out. I think off the top of my head we have maybe about a Dozen already signed for next season all be it youngsters. We only need about six quality signings to add to that. Revisit it in January. To many teams have players who get no further than the bench and are happy just picking wages up. We dont want or can afford those players next season.

6 quality signings? Christ we'd have no chance of going up, we can't expect too much from our youngsters yet, league 2 won't be a picnic either.

Times have changed and we need to change with them. Gone are the days when we paid 3/6 grand plus on a player who made two appearances a season. We can split the season into two pre and after January...As for the cups this season they are irrelevant. Play the kids.

I suppose we'll have a better idea of our starting point when the "retained list" is announced.  I didnt realise they had to inform the EFL who they had offered a contract to and who were officially free agents.  We could "offer a contract" to every single player but it doesnt mean they are going to sign, I'm unsure of the point of announcing a retained list.  Fair enough if they've agreed to stay and they arent going to be available to other clubs, but until such time they are available.  Does anyone know if offering a contract on less money is still regarded as giving them a free transfer?  That used to be the case.  If it still is, the only one's we'll be in contention to keep are the very young players that were on bobbins last year, eg Alexander/Senior but not one of the senior players will be offered the same terms they are currently on.

1 minute ago, masi 51 said:

Times have changed and we need to change with them. Gone are the days when we paid 3/6 grand plus on a player who made two appearances a season. We can split the season into two pre and after January...As for the cups this season they are irrelevant. Play the kids.

Isn’t there a cap in place for this season anyway 

22 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

Only 1 or 2 of those 12 (if it is anything like that) are good enough for regular first team football. We need 20 players signing up

2 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Only 1 or 2 of those 12 (if it is anything like that) are good enough for regular first team football. We need 20 players signing up

2 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

All 12 are ready for first team football we have no under 23 teams any more. So they are signed up for the first team squad.

That is the brutal answer to life in div 2

Hence the need to add six experienced players who will play week in week out.

Most people can name Liverpool Premier league first team. This is also there Champions lge team...It does not vary from week to week and they proberbly get by on under 20 players....They use the other cups including the fa cup to blood kids....It seems to work for them

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

Really ?

It is my opinion...One I can defend. If you want to join in carry on it is a football forum if not go and do the washing up....good lad

😂

If you think that those kids who are on a contract will be first team regulars then you obviously didn’t see them play. Politic and maybe Darcy are the only ones who will play 25+ league games.

6 is way short of our requirements, just as 20 is over the top.

Yep, play the kids in the cup comps but if we have any promotion aspirations, we’ll need more than 6.

IMO of course x

1 minute ago, Steejay said:

😂

If you think that those kids who are on a contract will be first team regulars then you obviously didn’t see them play. Politic and maybe Darcy are the only ones who will play 25+ league games.

6 is way short of our requirements, just as 20 is over the top.

Yep, play the kids in the cup comps but if we have any promotion aspirations, we’ll need more than 6.

IMO of course x

Much better I can and do see your point when you put it like that. The simple facts are we cannot afford a 25 man squad.If only two are deemed good enough the rest should have been released. Except the four that had contracts for the coming season....Liam Edwards, Harry Brockbank,Sonny Graham..And Adam Senior along with Delaney and Joe Bunney will all be part of the first team squad.

Faal  and Thomason I have no clue about...Darcy and Politic are shoo ins.

Like it or lump it they are the ones with contracts. Put five or experienced hungry pros and they will learn and grow as a team.

• Site Supporter

Bunney is out of contract.

Delaney will play.

Thomason will be loaned to Bamber Bridge again.

Other kids aren’t good enough yet , including Brockbank.

Faal’s the wild card.

Still need 10 at least.