Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Literally...

Youri McAnespie

Have you ever come across someone who deliberately tries to put on their accent despite the fact that it doesn't come naturally.

I have a mate who suddenly started pronouncing the M6 'the th'em six'.

I've tried pointing out that this doesn't make sense whichever way you look at it as what he's actually now saying translates as 'the the M6'. Surely it's either 'The M6' or 'Th'em 6'?

Have you ever come across someone who deliberately tries to put on their accent despite the fact that it doesn't come naturally.

I've tried pointing out that this doesn't make sense whichever way you look at it as what he's actually now saying translates as 'the the M6'. Surely it's either 'The M6' or 'Th'em 6'?

Nobody I've heard from Bolton sounds as bolton as paddy mcguiness

Or southern folk who give it 'are you goin t t t t t shop' etc.  Belly laugh every time

Me and my mates used to ham up the accent a bit but mainly due to crap impressions of Fred Dibnah.  Tha knows? :) 

I work with a bloke from Plymouth and we do pitches together because he sounds a bit too posh and I bring a real 'down to earth' quality.

The thing is he was dragged up on a rough as fuck council estate. I'm overwhelmingly middle class and as Kent will attest, Salt of the Earth is not exactly the first phrase you'd think of describing me. All down to the power/perception of a Bolton accent.

• Members

I get the 'look, book, cook' thing all the time down here. They think it's so fucking funny.

They are lost when I ask them if what they wear on their feet to a mine site are 'buts'. If you pronounce the 'oo' in 'boots' as it should be, why the fuck should it change for look, book and cook?

The response from them should be to question me on the word 'hood' but I ain't telling 'em.  :blum:

• Moderators

If look and book are pronounced luck and buck, how the fuck do you pronounce luck and buck?

in the same weigh

as in

not in a different whey

do you sea?

Edited by ZicoKelly

• Members

you wanna live here, these bloody colonials don't half struggle with vowels

yes becomes yis

finish becomes funush...assume that's a legacy from early Jock settlers

number - namba...perhaps London settlers

Fush and chups please. Quite like the Kiwi accent.

Here they've developed a 'nambah' pronunciation once again ending on a high note.

One of the worst things they do here is a refusal to use the word 'are'.  Everything is 'is' no matter how many there are.