Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Arron Lennon

barryk32

• Site Supporter

Same, hate supermarkets and busy places..

I'm fine where I have some element of control..

The new job is hard as i don't feel like its "my" classroom.. or "my" business... that will come with time.

FWIW.. Someone told me to "cheer up" and that "everyone feels down".. worst thing they could have said.. 

Reading the posts on this thread has really opened my eyes as to how lucky I am considering my family history of depression

Fuck me, you don't realise how many people struggle in situations that you consider normal

It's also good how open people are about it nowadays and are prepared to come on somewhere like here and talk about it

The new job is hard as i don't feel like its "my" classroom.. or "my" business... that will come with time.

FWIW.. Someone told me to "cheer up" and that "everyone feels down".. worst thing they could have said.. 

i had a similar experience after being made redundant; i couldnt settle anywhere- everything felt alien, and i was miserable. putting one foot in front of the other as i left the door was torture. i grew fearful, i lost direction, and felt i was crumbling... despair at wasting my life.

i still get episodes (been back on meds since october), and im not fully in control... but its bearable

tomorrow is coming, and darkness will fade

even bluebells grow in the shade

• Site Supporter

Louis Spence nwas on Lorraine this morning talking about his depression and anxieties. He had a bit of a blast at Piers Morgan for a comment made yesterday when, apparently, he'd said some people need to "man up"

Edit - added link http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/reality-tv/news/a827955/piers-morgan-mental-health-awareness-week-man-up-comments-controversy/

Edited by MickyD

I can relate to that, yet I never used to be that way.  Seems to have developed more with age.

Doing supply at the minute and it can be really hard, especially if the staff are a bit 'insular'.

Worst aspect for me is that I can be the life and soul when I'm feeling good so a lot of folk expect that all the time.  When I'm a bit down I tend to seek solitude and I think folk can end up taking it the wrong way, which makes me feel more like a cnut.    Sometimes not staying for a few beers after golf, for example, can send out the wrong message but what do you say?  MInd you, chance would be a fine thing at minute :) 

In all fairness I'd say I have a pretty good handle on it most of the time and know some folk have it worse;  although, how do you compare this stuff?

Wonder how Piers would feel if someone did "man up" and kicked the absolute fuck out of him.

I've not read/seen the link but in fairness to Piers, or that mind set in general, I do believe there is something in it.

What I mean by that is no-one else can pull us out of a depression, it either takes hard soul searching effort or simply the patience and resolve to let it pass with time.

I think those who suffer have to find their own ways of coping, sadly.  

That said, there's saying it with empathy and understanding and then there's simply being dismissive or, to put it another way, a cnut :)

Edited by madthatter

• Site Supporter

I've learned it is important to have someone strong willed who helps by not helping too much; keeping you moving and doing stuff rather than allowing you to drop further down the black hole of self loathing.

Even a strong word or two at the right time to keep you fighting.

As you point out though, even if Morgan has that quality in him, he's still being a cunt courting attention.

• Site Supporter

I wish I could talk about my own experiences in this thread, but it just isn't worth it. I'm hated too much to be as open as I'd like on this issue, but fair play to all of you who are speaking from the heart and sharing your problems, and every credit to those that are expressing support. I admire you all. It's a fantastic state of affairs that these things can be discussed so openly.

I wish I could talk about my own experiences in this thread, but it just isn't worth it. I'm hated too much to be as open as I'd like on this issue, but fair play to all of you who are speaking from the heart and sharing your problems, and every credit to those that are expressing support. I admire you all. It's a fantastic state of affairs that these things can be discussed so openly.

I actually think if you spoke openly you'd win more folk over! Fwiw I think you make some good contributions on here as well. It may do you some good to unburden to a site that can be very good with serious stuff, in fact superb

I agree with Tomski. It's easy to see someone as just a username and not as a person behind it. But once you do, perceptions change. There will always be the odd dickhead, but that aside, I've found the messageboard and posters to be pretty sound on serious stuff. There is some good advice / experience flying around from WWayers.

• Site Supporter

I agree with Tomski. It's easy to see someone as just a username and not as a person behind it. But once you do, perceptions change. There will always be the odd dickhead, but that aside, I've found the messageboard and posters to be pretty sound on serious stuff. There is some good advice / experience flying around from WWayers.

Indeed. Had a bit of an up and down day today- fuck knows why, just did. Still end up coming on for a read/laugh/argument whatever.

Encyclopedia wandererswaysica!

• Site Supporter

To be honest, I am suicidal at the moment. Have been for a few weeks now. I'm too much of a coward to do it though, and extremely embarrassed to talk about it. How bizarre is that?? I'm sure I'll regret this admission tomorrow.

At least you acknowledge there will be a tomorrow. A good starting point.

Onwards...

To be honest, I am suicidal at the moment. Have been for a few weeks now. I'm too much of a coward to do it though, and extremely embarrassed to talk about it. How bizarre is that?? I'm sure I'll regret this admission tomorrow.

Brexit?

In all seriousness mate, get talking to someone either in real life family and friends, samaritans or on here.

That's not something you should be keeping to yourself. Echo what Stevie said

• Site Supporter

Brexit?

In all seriousness mate, get talking to someone either in real life family and friends, samaritans or on here.

https://www.selfhelpservices.org.uk/directory-of-services/search/The%20Sanctuary/blank/

Another useful contact.

He does my head in at times but we don't want chexit.

I've suffered from generalised anxiety for over 30 years now and I'm 46! Even at school, I was extremely anxious sitting in a classroom, I just thought I was a nutter or something. I had a breakdown at 21 and another at 27, after the second breakdown, I then suffered a bout of shingles, which has given me a couple of scars on my face.(battle scars)

I finally went to see my GP only about 10 years ago and after trying various medication, I finally found some medication that works. I feel much better these days, but I still hide my meds from my wife, mental health is bloody awful and as I have found out, it tends to take over your life.

I might try CBT shortly, but I'm not convinced that it'll do much tbh. I've found vigorous excercise a great help, even though it only helps for a few hours.

Glad I've read this thread!  :friends:

Edited by Blondi

Thank you fellow Wanderers.

Nobody on here hates you Cheese (as per your post further up)

People might vehemently disagree with some of the stuff that you post but hate is a different thing altogether. If you are talking about people hating you outside WWays then this is a place that time and again shows how supportive it is to fellow Wanderers so don't feel ashamed/embarrassed to open up