Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

8 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Did you listen to the speech yeaterday? 

I've not pal. Shouldn't really need one, he's been there 3 years now, I ought to have known what they're about off by heart 2 years ago Iol.

I'll check it out later though.

Just now, lobbypond said:

I've not pal. Shouldn't really need one, he's been there 3 years now, I ought to have known what they're about off by heart 2 years ago Iol.

I'll check it out later though.

To be fair (and I know Im a party member) but it's a tightrope they are trying to walk. Too radical and it scares the horses in the home counties, too European and traditional Labour voters get the willies that they are just a party of the cities.

There was also a lot to sort out after Corybn and Momentum - to actually get the public to start listening to them, to clean out the anti-semitism nonsense, to even start to look electable again rather than a 1980s tribute act. The party earmarked the next election after 2024, things were that bad internally.

I don't disagree with you, now is the time to start setting the stall out, its was decent groundwork from Starmer - still a bit light - but it's starting to build the framework for the policies. Basically, we can't go back to big state as the moment isn't here, but more money will be needed to be put into public services - austerity has been an utter disaster (whisper it but even more than the emotionally charged Brexit) we cut too hard, too deep and for too long, and its panned out how the experts said it would - and its the main issue is to why our growth is low, our cost of living standards are cutting deeper than elsewhere and why we are in a spiral of public service strikes - which has a huge knock on effect to the private sector as well. The government's answer? Anti-strike legislation.

In the manifesto there will be a huge focus on the NHS and the Energy sectors (Green will feature a lot as its an important issue for younger voters) and most inportantly - local control. This is going to be their big thing and has been worked on for a good two years. 'Take Back Control' (a know - they must have given themselves a right chuckle at that) baically less more in westminster and more for people to have direct control of what is needed in their areas - over things such as transport, culture, skills (eduction and training) etc etc - the idea is to creat local hubs of economic development and putting power closer to each member of the public.

Anyway, its a step by step process, because you can't do fuck all in opposition so he's trying not to push too quickly. There's a looooooooong way to go yet.

11 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Anyway, its a step by step process, because you can't do fuck all in opposition so he's trying not to push too quickly. There's a looooooooong way to go yet.

He doesn't need to push, the longer he stays relatively quiet and lets the Tory Party fuck themselves over, of which they're doing a tremendous job thus far, the better for him surely?

Those wanting to know what Labour will or would do differently, need to wait until the Tory Party have the balls to call a GE, until then Labour should release as little as they need to. IMO of course

47 minutes ago, Sweep said:

He doesn't need to push, the longer he stays relatively quiet and lets the Tory Party fuck themselves over, of which they're doing a tremendous job thus far, the better for him surely?

Those wanting to know what Labour will or would do differently, need to wait until the Tory Party have the balls to call a GE, until then Labour should release as little as they need to. IMO of course

Plus if they start announcing policies and the Tories nick them before a GE they might not have much to offer

I will be voting Labour party, provided there manifesto is sensible and does not back track on Brexit. The stage is set for a Labour government to make a big difference and move away from the corrupt Tory party and re-set the direction of the country, it will not be cheap and I expect higher tax bills but we cannot continue trashing the country and serious investment is required across the board. 

2 hours ago, Sweep said:

Spot on.

Re : Starmer, just set the video playback speed to 1.5 and he's fine.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Traf said:

Oh, and the country needs to be patient, Labour will need a second term to have any chance of success.

The country won’t be patient.

And Tory voters that lose will be asking within hours why things aren’t any better.

4 hours ago, Sweep said:

I don't know, I think there needs to be a push this year to really mark out what is different and what they would do. The Tories will be calm this year and they will creep back up the polls as they become less of a drama.

No need for detailed policies for yesterday was about setting the stall out and it's all going to be about radical change of westminster so people feel closer to the decision making in their area - to really give back control at a grassroots level rather than demonising faceless bodies that were never really the issue.

1 hour ago, Spider said:

The country won’t be patient.

And Tory voters that lose will be asking within hours why things aren’t any better.

You mean they would keep saying thigs like "but where are the benefits? ", "It would have been exactly the same under the tories, so why vote Labour", and my personal favourite "I voted Labour. It was a mistake. Its all a bit shit this".

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

You mean they would keep saying thigs like "but where are the benefits? ", "It would have been exactly the same under the tories, so why vote Labour", and my personal favourite "I voted Labour. It was a mistake. Its all a bit shit this".

Usually in life there are chances to make amends for mistakes.

Usually.

1 hour ago, mickbrown said:

It's telling just how far the Tories have fallen as after the slapping they got at the last election I thought Labour would be out of power for another decade.

Can't see anything other than a Labour win now.

I dunno, it's so far away and it's still difficult for Labour to win. I agree that the turnout might be low but given what's happened this year only a madman would say what will happen at an election in 2024.

They've been given a fighting chance, but I'm.still waiting for the 'we're alright!'/bacon butty Moment so that the Mail can leap on it and scare all those soft home county Tories into voting for them again.

6 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

To be fair (and I know Im a party member) but it's a tightrope they are trying to walk. Too radical and it scares the horses in the home counties, too European and traditional Labour voters get the willies that they are just a party of the cities.

There was also a lot to sort out after Corybn and Momentum - to actually get the public to start listening to them, to clean out the anti-semitism nonsense, to even start to look electable again rather than a 1980s tribute act. The party earmarked the next election after 2024, things were that bad internally.

I don't disagree with you, now is the time to start setting the stall out, its was decent groundwork from Starmer - still a bit light - but it's starting to build the framework for the policies. Basically, we can't go back to big state as the moment isn't here, but more money will be needed to be put into public services - austerity has been an utter disaster (whisper it but even more than the emotionally charged Brexit) we cut too hard, too deep and for too long, and its panned out how the experts said it would - and its the main issue is to why our growth is low, our cost of living standards are cutting deeper than elsewhere and why we are in a spiral of public service strikes - which has a huge knock on effect to the private sector as well. The government's answer? Anti-strike legislation.

In the manifesto there will be a huge focus on the NHS and the Energy sectors (Green will feature a lot as its an important issue for younger voters) and most inportantly - local control. This is going to be their big thing and has been worked on for a good two years. 'Take Back Control' (a know - they must have given themselves a right chuckle at that) baically less more in westminster and more for people to have direct control of what is needed in their areas - over things such as transport, culture, skills (eduction and training) etc etc - the idea is to creat local hubs of economic development and putting power closer to each member of the public.

👍

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

How we sorting out Ireland then?

Give Ulster back.

all our problems disappear overnight.

it’s Ireland and the EU’s problem then. Football fans will just have to keep singing songs and pretend it’s really important, even though it isn’t.

Sorted.

Vote spider

52 minutes ago, Spider said:

Give Ulster back.

all our problems disappear overnight.

it’s Ireland and the EU’s problem then. Football fans will just have to keep singing songs and pretend it’s really important, even though it isn’t.

Sorted.

Vote spider

Hang on. Wouldn't that mean surrendering to the IRA? You'll be telling me there's no RAF base in Bolton next!

• Site Supporter

Ulster benefits me not one jot.

It’s amusing watching football fans from 200 miles from Ibrox and Parkhead travelling all that way, pretending they enjoy Scottish football (come on lads, Even you can’t think anyone buys that one 🤪🤪).

It’s all some weird and slightly homoerotic attachment to “a cause” that never had anything to do with anything.

Way I see it, give Ulster back, make ireland and the EU pay us £100billion for it and we all move on. Any Ulster folk not happy will just be reminded that they never fucking have been anyway, so move on. It is what it is. Winners and losers. 

£100billion would pay for a lot of ambulances and paramedics and what not