Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

11 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Why would No Deal be terrible ? Is it based on reports which haven't been proven yet as per many of the remaining side's forecasts and predictions ? 

Anyone can say what they like re the various predictions and forecasts, nobody knows for certain 100% .

Well every politician who campaigned to Leave said it would never happen as it would be so bad for us and them. 

For instance if we test drugs ( not the sort we like!) in the UK this currently is accepted by the rest of Europe so we need a deal to ensure that can continue. There are loads of examples were we need a deal to just clarify how such existing things will work. 
How about expats ? We have an agreed principle they will be ok both ways but that needs formalising. 
Anyone who works with a company in the EU will need the terms of trade agreeing etc etc. 

13 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Why would No Deal be terrible ? Is it based on reports which haven't been proven yet as per many of the remaining side's forecasts and predictions ? 

Anyone can say what they like re the various predictions and forecasts, nobody knows for certain 100% .

I reckon the fact that nobody on any side wants a "no deal" scenario tells us that it's not a good thing doesn't it?

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, miamiwhite said:

But you were the first to rejoice saying our fishing rights aren't worth a wank anyway 😉 

They're not, but everyone seems to get really uptight about cod and pollocks.

9 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Most likely and that's why a deal will be done as famously predicted by Mounts 

Before we rewrite history. Let’s note that since day 1 after the vote everyone has said there needs to be a deal. Not sure Mounts can claim exclusivity on that. 

3 minutes ago, Ani said:

Before we rewrite history. Let’s note that since day 1 after the vote everyone has said there needs to be a deal. Not sure Mounts can claim exclusivity on that. 

They haven't. Many of the longstanding Brexiteers would be quite content without one and for trade on WTO terms. I'm sure it wouldn't result in the armageddon some revel in predicting. 

A sensible and mutually beneficial deal would be preferable. The EU know that. They just play hard ball. Fair play to them. If we'd wised up two years ago and done the same we would probably have this sorted already. Realpolitik of hard nosed negotiation. 

11 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

They haven't. Many of the longstanding Brexiteers would be quite content without one and for trade on WTO terms. I'm sure it wouldn't result in the armageddon some revel in predicting. 

A sensible and mutually beneficial deal would be preferable. The EU know that. They just play hard ball. Fair play to them. If we'd wised up two years ago and done the same we would probably have this sorted already. Realpolitik of hard nosed negotiation. 

To be honest I meant to put ‘nearly everyone’. 

Would you be happy with No Deal ? 

1 minute ago, Farrelli said:

todays buzz word is 'realpolitik'

Image result for goofy faced jerk

Quite a long word with several syllables. Us leavers aren't meant to use them are we? If it makes you feel better imagine I don't know what it means. 

.... oh and I'm still not sorry for saying nasty things about Wigan Athletic either. 

Just now, Ani said:

To be honest I meant to put ‘nearly everyone’. 

Would you be happy with No Deal ? 

Nope 

Neither am I happy we have no deal with Aus, NZ, USA, India etc. Now we can negotiate for ourselves we can tackle that. 

A mutually beneficial deal would be good - based on trade between sovereign entities. That way everyone prospers.

16 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Loving all the trade and procedural experts on here, when Brexit arrives at least i will know the drill is.

Trade deals aren't easy to finalise and I'm certainly no expert. 

On a general level and away from Brexit I think too many people think trade deals are a zero sum game. Done right they can be mutually very beneficial. You don't necessarily need massive expertise if you hold that principle dear. 

The problem with dealing with the EU (as compared to most nations) is that political self preservation comes into it. A mutually good deal is seen by them as ultimately encouraging others to leave the club. And if those dominoes start falling then the bureaucracy and its gravy train faces an existential threat. Politics trumps economics. Which of course was also one driving factor in the leave vote of 2016