Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

28 minutes ago, Spider said:

Has anyone on here read the actual deal?

growing number of business leaders are saying it’s pretty good.

As is normal these days, people just want something to object to so they can win the online pissing contest.

maybe, just maybe, this deal could work and allow things to get rolling, whilst negotiations continue as time moves on.

Big business seem to have been influential

not bad for entities without votes!

• Site Supporter
27 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

my take on it was the backstop was the real issue but that only comes into the equation if we don't negotiate a trade deal with the EU. If we are confident we can get a trade deal then the backstop doesn't come into it

Exactly. I think that's why she's been 'happy' to accept a weaker aspect to it, given it shouldn't happen.

Just seen a report from Ireland and NI with business on both sides feeling it's fairly decent.

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Exactly. I think that's why she's been 'happy' to accept a weaker aspect to it, given it shouldn't happen.

Just seen a report from Ireland and NI with business on both sides feeling it's fairly decent.

all this will be hope will be futile if Parliament reject it and from what I can see the maths is not in her favour so No Deal becomes the favourite outcome. The EU will not be up for any re-negotiation full stop so we have what we have. If Parliament reject it then May has to go and we are 100% leaving on WTO terms AND a hard border in Ireland...no winners!   

50 minutes ago, Spider said:

As is normal these days, people just want something to object to so they can win the online pissing contest.

maybe, just maybe, this deal could work and allow things to get rolling, whilst negotiations continue as time moves on.

Aye labour would always kick off because they just want power. 

The DUP have been kicking off about everything for 200 years.

Boris and Farage are wankers who think it’s 1800 and we can rule the bastard waves. 

It might actually be ok once the dust settles. Or is that too optimistic?

19 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Boris and Farage are wankers who think it’s 1800 and we can rule the bastard waves. 

No, you might be right.

Fucking hell I go away for a week of sun and ale and it all kicks off. My twopenneth is that it shouldn't and doesn't need to be us and them. The EU are our friends and allies, there's a lot of hyperbole about who will be in charge of what through the process from people who have taken a position from day 1 seeing it as a victory or defeat, where what we actually are is not 'us and them' and punishment but a way forward where 'we' (us and them) work through some complicated issues together to a mutually agreeable situation.

I'm off out now for a drink a laugh and perhaps a dance with some friends from Spain Germany Sweden and a few other nations. Suggest you all do the same. Peace and love X.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

DUP was only founded in 1971, by Ian Paisley.

2 hours ago, Spider said:

Business have just been screaming for certainty now since last year. They need to know what’s happening. Heard one business leader today ‘it’s not a good deal but it is a deal’. That’s their view.

However to have made a mess of negotiating then come back with a bad deal and say “hey it’s shit but it’s too late for anything else” is a crock of shit. Get article 50 extended and sort this mess out.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

How does it get through parliament? Only way is if she offers serious deal to Labour - power sharing deal. I think she might have to. 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Business have just been screaming for certainty now since last year. They need to know what’s happening. Heard one business leader today ‘it’s not a good deal but it is a deal’. That’s their view.

However to have made a mess of negotiating then come back with a bad deal and say “hey it’s shit but it’s too late for anything else” is a crock of shit. Get article 50 extended and sort this mess out.

As Barnier/EU have said there's no more to give, and there's no point in any more discussion then what would extending article 50 achieve?

If they were to agree to it, then the more hard liners would want to have a go too, and we wouldn't necessarily be any better off.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

It might be ok, but i think the killer will turn out to be the botched general election which wiped out the government's majority & meant that the cranks & loons at both extremes - who previously could have been ignored - will now be able to sabotage the vote.

13 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

It might be ok, but i think the killer will turn out to be the botched general election which wiped out the government's majority & meant that the cranks & loons at both extremes - who previously could have been ignored - will now be able to sabotage the vote.

We'll see

I'm getting the sense that Theresa has grabbed the middle ground and will secure votes from across a broad spectrum.

People will feel it's a better place than before the referendum and want to get on with things. It might all be over now.

Edited by boltondiver

2 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Thing is, it is actually better than I thought was possible a couple of months ago.

It is far from ideal but what the hell do people expect? It is a compromise of course but anyone thinking we can get a much better deal is deluded.

It's more or less a deal with everything we have got now but costing the taxpayers 39 Billion to leave the EU, hope those blue passports are quality made.

9 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Thing is, it is actually better than I thought was possible a couple of months ago.

It is far from ideal but what the hell do people expect? It is a compromise of course but anyone thinking we can get a much better deal is deluded.

But we can get a better deal and that’s why this isn’t over yet. 

• Site Supporter

One of the entertaining parts of the debate earlier today was a bloke from SNP having a go at the Conservative Government because the Scottish NHS is in ruins.

May turned to him and pretty much said, Yes, Scotland wanted to look after its own infrastructure through devolution, your party administrates the money taken from Central Government. If you then chose not to put enough of that money into your health service you can't blame us.

Well done her.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, leigh white said:

It's more or less a deal with everything we have got now but costing the taxpayers 39 Billion to leave the EU, hope those blue passports are quality made.

It isn't as good as we have now, that was never on the table as we are leaving.

Labour made me laugh today saying the proposal isnt good enough as we must stay in the CU and SM - Err... that isn't really leaving at all is it?

TM will have gone by Monday, 

Sajid David will get the job, allthough a Remainer he will be acceptable to both sides of the party, he will ask David Davies to reset the negotiations and go for a ‘free trade agreement’ Canada ++ style, this will carry a majority in the HOC

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

TM will have gone by Monday, 

Sajid David will get the job, allthough a Remainer he will be acceptable to both sides of the party, he will ask David Davies to reset the negotiations and go for a ‘free trade agreement’ Canada ++ style, this will carry a majority in the HOC

And what of NI?