Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

25 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

From what I can see he’s saying WTO is a complete bag of shit vs free trade, in sure most sane people would agree 

He then goes on to say that we could spend years trying to get from WTO to a new deal but the key issues will be the same, so why fuck about wasting years when we can just take a deal now and move on 

I think he’s right, it seems a pragmatic approach to me 

The problem is the deal on offer might not allow us to move on, the interview is just another attempt at pushing the deal already on the table. I have to ask the question if Stewart is as intelligent as he’s supposed to be then why is he running for PM with same message and championing the WA that’s already been rebuffed.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

The problem is the deal on offer might not allow us to move on, the interview is just another attempt at pushing the deal already on the table. I have to ask the question if Stewart is as intelligent as he’s supposed to be then why is he running for PM with same message and championing the WA that’s already been rebuffed.

Can you explain why he's wrong then? 

20 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Might not allow us to move on? 

WTO might not allow us to move on, we would still have to negotiate a long term agreement with the EU, same contentious areas of negotiation that we have now 

25 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

You are happy to support the WA deal though

25 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Might not allow us to move on? 

WTO might not allow us to move on, we would still have to negotiate a long term agreement with the EU, same contentious areas of negotiation that we have now 

The aim is not to go to WTO the aim is to get a deal, remember the EU have plenty to lose (as do we) but we should not accept the current WA, we should continue to press for a better deal, even if have to use the leverage of a no deal. I don’t think we have enough MPs who have the courage for the battle, which is a shame. Let’s see what a new PM brings to the table. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Only with amend to the backstop. 

What amendment do you suggest? The potential future PM's who think it's a massive problem are also saying its easily solvable using technology. So why do they have a problem with it? Please explain it, and also explain why Rory Stewart is wrong about the WTO...

Edited by Cheese

12 hours ago, Moon boy said:

If you are a U.K. citizen and you are entitled to a vote it doesn’t matter if you’ve never read a paper in your life or watched tv and you are thick as pigshit, your vote is as valid as anyone else’s and is worth the same

Correct. But the result of the referendum shapes the nation’s future trade deals, security arrangements, financial markets, service and manufacturing industries (I could go on). That should never have been decided by people who are as thick as pigshit.

Would you be happy if your pension pot was invested based on a straw poll of people sat waiting for the bus at Chorley train station?

• Members
6 hours ago, kent_white said:

Easy. He's a traitor and I wouldn't want the likes of him fighting alongside me in the trenches. Or something?

Well he's admitted to being an opium smoker so I wouldn't want to be relying in him for sure and certain.

• Members
3 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

The aim is not to go to WTO the aim is to get a deal, remember the EU have plenty to lose (as do we) but we should not accept the current WA, we should continue to press for a better deal, even if have to use the leverage of a no deal. I don’t think we have enough MPs who have the courage for the battle, which is a shame. Let’s see what a new PM brings to the table. 

I've had it with you matey. You seem to be suggesting that a new leader leaving a seriously possible 'no deal' on the table might cause the (up to press) intransigent EU to reconsider and offer a better deal including modification to the main sticking point - the backstop?

Just fuck off with all this common sense FFS. It is clearly messing with heads of our dear friends Salford Trotsky, Fanny 5 and fromage face.

7 hours ago, Cheese said:

What amendment do you suggest? The potential future PM's who think it's a massive problem are also saying its easily solvable using technology. So why do they have a problem with it? Please explain it, and also explain why Rory Stewart is wrong about the WTO...

Where have I said anything Stewart said was wrong?  I do note he has highlighted the potential downsides without mentioning potential upsides of WTO which I find very strange.

I also note he wants to become our next PM without reopening negotiations on the WA or using the leverage of a no deal.

Leads me to think he has zero chance of being elected as PM and rightly so. 

6 hours ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Correct. But the result of the referendum shapes the nation’s future trade deals, security arrangements, financial markets, service and manufacturing industries (I could go on). That should never have been decided by people who are as thick as pigshit.

Would you be happy if your pension pot was invested based on a straw poll of people sat waiting for the bus at Chorley train station?

What’s your solution to ‘the thick as pigshit voters’ don’t let them vote?

Are we a ‘Democracy ‘ or a ‘Banana Republic’?

Edited by Moon boy

22 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Where have I said anything Stewart said was wrong?  I do note he has highlighted the potential downsides without mentioning potential upsides of WTO which I find very strange.

I also note he wants to become our next PM without reopening negotiations on the WA or using the leverage of a no deal.

Leads me to think he has zero chance of being elected as PM and rightly so. 

He’s a remainer, he wants to stay.

Part of the problem

6 hours ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Go on then; who have you chosen to look after your pension fund?

21 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

What’s your solution to ‘the thick as pigshit voters’ don’t let them vote?

Are we a ‘Democracy ‘ or a ‘Banana Republic’?

I’ve got a couple of polo shirts from Banana Republic, but I’m not a huge fan of the rest of their range TBH.

I’m of the view (as many others are) that this decision should never have been put directly to the public. It should have been made by the elected Parliament. If they had decided to leave then it would still have been a decision made democratically, but not by people who lick windows as a passtime.

• Site Supporter

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Then please explain the "upsides" to trading only on WTO terms, and why no other country in the world does so?  I also notice you never answered my question about who you'd be voting for in the WTO elections...