Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

4 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

Thanks for the patronisation fella, but I’m referring to the quote re lack of political commitment in fighting corruption, the meagre amount of money spent on tackling corruption and how a chapter into institutional corruption was dropped.

Hope you understand my thoughts now.

I do and I appreciate the reasoned explanation, but I do not believe for one second that the article points to the EU as being the cause of, or the block in stopping, the corruption within the EU. It finds no direct link; it just says the level of corruption is huge within the EU. Without the EU, no doubt it would find it great “in Europe”.

I do believe you saw what you wanted in it, and it’s a great example of confirmation bias. 

But that’s just my humble opinion and trust me I’m not patronising you, I have a lot of time for you from when we’ve met

However, if you fancy a straightener we have been lacking on here in a few weeks ;)

1 hour ago, jules_darby said:

I do and I appreciate the reasoned explanation, but I do not believe for one second that the article points to the EU as being the cause of, or the block in stopping, the corruption within the EU. It finds no direct link; it just says the level of corruption is huge within the EU. Without the EU, no doubt it would find it great “in Europe”.

I do believe you saw what you wanted in it, and it’s a great example of confirmation bias. 

But that’s just my humble opinion and trust me I’m not patronising you, I have a lot of time for you from when we’ve met

However, if you fancy a straightener we have been lacking on here in a few weeks ;)

I’ll straighten your gammy knee in one fell swoop :D

Apologies for the late reply, I’ve been to the shop.

3 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

I would never tire of punching that lisping twat. What a deplorable man he is.

McQJaY2R_bigger.png

·
11h

There is a strong case for the BBC to be in the dock alongside Johnson, since it provided the platform for his promises to become common currency

Deluded cunt

26 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

McQJaY2R_bigger.png

·
11h

There is a strong case for the BBC to be in the dock alongside Johnson, since it provided the platform for his promises to become common currency

Deluded cunt

I was at the Hay festival to hear John Simpson interviewed on Tuesday which was excellent.

He said a similar thing in that he regretted that politicians (on both sides of brexit) were not taken to task during the campaign.

He added that this was a major flaw in the journalistic approach during the referendum.

It allowed lies/deception to be routinely trotted out without fear of contradiction.

I agree with that appraisal.

The campaign on both sides like much of politics was all about slogans and sound bites. 

Farage is excellent at trotting out headlines that do not have any substance ( that is a compliment to him btw). 

One of the tired lines for a second referendum is that people did not have a clear view of what Leave meant. Well that is the fault of Remain. They trotted out little of substance and never challenged the headlines from the other side. Where was the debate on the Irish border for instance ? How we backfill the jobs done by EU immigrants ? Pharmaceutical testing ? Financial services passporting ? 

2 minutes ago, Ani said:

The campaign on both sides like much of politics was all about slogans and sound bites. 

Farage is excellent at trotting out headlines that do not have any substance ( that is a compliment to him btw). 

One of the tired lines for a second referendum is that people did not have a clear view of what Leave meant. Well that is the fault of Remain. They trotted out little of substance and never challenged the headlines from the other side. Where was the debate on the Irish border for instance ? How we backfill the jobs done by EU immigrants ? Pharmaceutical testing ? Financial services passporting ? 

All those things were brought up and dismissed as "project fear"......

Just now, bwfcfan5 said:

All those things were brought up and dismissed as "project fear"......

No Project Fear was the sky will fall in and talk about immeasurable economic impact  

Remain did not push the ‘real’ issues enough. 

23 minutes ago, Ani said:

No Project Fear was the sky will fall in and talk about immeasurable economic impact  

If you are a U.K. citizen and you are entitled to a vote it doesn’t matter if you’ve never read a paper in your life or watched tv and you are thick as pigshit, your vote is as valid as anyone else’s and is worth the same

• Site Supporter
39 minutes ago, Ani said:

ANY argument that we'd be even slightly worse off was dismissed as "Project Fear" by Leave campaigners. Then when these arguments started to become reality, they re-wrote history and started saying "it was never about money or jobs".

23 minutes ago, Cheese said:

ANY argument that we'd be even slightly worse off was dismissed as "Project Fear" by Leave campaigners. Then when these arguments started to become reality, they re-wrote history and started saying "it was never about money or jobs".

Or - when in doubt blame remainers for the mess they told you would happen. 

Its a classic. 

10 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Do any of you "No Deal" Loons care to explain how Rory Stewart is wrong? 

It'll make no difference Cheese, their fingers are still stuck in their ears. I've quoted Minford recently on here but just get the typical remoaner/project fear response despite the fact he is a leaver. No Leaver wants to acknowledge the disaster we are facing if we go with No Deal. The world's 5th largest economy on the same terms as Afganistan... Good grief surely we are better than that

40 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Do any of you "No Deal" Loons care to explain how Rory Stewart is wrong? 

Notwithstanding everything, he doesn't seem to have moved away from Theresa's (shite) deal, which he supported all the way.

So, he is living in unreality, as that ship was holed before it sailed.

Lostock loon.

• Site Supporter
Just now, boltondiver said:

Notwithstanding everything, he doesn't seem to have moved away from Theresa's (shite) deal, which he supported all the way.

So, he is living in unreality, as that ship was holed before it sailed.

Lostock loon.

Can you explain how what he said is wrong then?

13 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Can you explain how what he said is wrong then?

Of course you would agree his analysis

You and he both want to stay in the EU

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Of course you would agree his analysis

You and he both want to stay in the EU

He wants to Leave. As you know, I don't agree with him on that at all. Can you explain what is wrong about what he said? 

From what I can see he’s saying WTO is a complete bag of shit vs free trade, in sure most sane people would agree 

He then goes on to say that we could spend years trying to get from WTO to a new deal but the key issues will be the same, so why fuck about wasting years when we can just take a deal now and move on 

I think he’s right, it seems a pragmatic approach to me 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, birch-chorley said:

From what I can see he’s saying WTO is a complete bag of shit vs free trade, in sure most sane people would agree 

He then goes on to say that we could spend years trying to get from WTO to a new deal but the key issues will be the same, so why fuck about wasting years when we can just take a deal now and move on 

I could vote for him

6 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

The silence is deafening, just shows what a reality check this is. 

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

But Brextremists are convinced that the Withdrawal Agreement doesn't take us out of the EU, even though it does.

They're cultists. Reality matters not a jot.