Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

What Away Fans Must Have Thought Landing At Bolton In The 70S.

leigh white

It was one of the best always I've ever done. Even though we lost it was awesome.

Correct.

Lunch time finish, a couple of pints in the Sweet Green then down to Reading. Dumped our bags and off to the south coast. We were in the stand that night so had a great view of both our fans in the away end and 'that goal' I still don't blame Felgate as we were right behind it and it dipped and swerved so much, any keeper would have struggled.

What a night that was at Southampton and an amazing BWFC turn out.

Got there early and in the pub next to the ground; picture the scene - the boozer is rammed with us and has sold out of ale, just as a coach load turned up with a massive BWFC flying from  the roof, a shed load turned up having been marched from the station. All on a midweek fucking miles from home.

40 years watching Bolton and precious few memorises out of all that time beat that night, for all the grief of the result. Watch that away end when we go ahead. Just watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI8RhgOMAzw

Got there early and in the pub next to the ground; picture the scene - the boozer is rammed with us and has sold out of ale, just as a coach load turned up with a massive BWFC flying from  the roof, a shed load turned up having been marched from the station. All on a midweek fucking miles from home.

40 years watching Bolton and precious few memorises out of all that time beat that night, for all the grief of the result. Watch that away end when we go ahead. Just watch.

The packed out Park End was the same when Whatmore grabbed the equalizer at Goodison in 77.

• Site Supporter

Must admit, even watching the video, it moved in the air like one of those flyaway balls you'd play with in the street as kids and avoid rose bushes like the plague.

Got there early and in the pub next to the ground; picture the scene - the boozer is rammed with us and has sold out of ale, just as a coach load turned up with a massive BWFC flying from the roof, a shed load turned up having been marched from the station. All on a midweek fucking miles from home.

WTF has Happened to football and BWFC since then? The game today is a pale shadow, the eruption behind that goal I would give my right arm for utterly brilliant. Have we lost something as a club or will that come back? Please say yes it will. ???? Edited by Mounts Kipper

WTF has Happened to football and BWFC since then? The game today is a pale shadow, the eruption behind that goal I would give my right arm for utterly brilliant. Have we lost something as a club or will that come back? Please say yes it will.

Sterilized mate, just glad I had moments seeing all the great matches bunched up on the terraces and being part of it, apart from Derby away in the cup.

• Site Supporter

I wentto Southampton when we played them in the cup during the strikes the special train was cancelled on arriving at Trinity St and coaches laid on,it was a horrible grey wet day down there great game JB equalizer late on,but my main memory was loads of their skinhead fans waiting to pick us off on the journey back to the coaches,one of the roughest aways I'd been to and still is .

WTF has Happened to football and BWFC since then? The game today is a pale shadow, the eruption behind that goal I would give my right arm for utterly brilliant. Have we lost something as a club or will that come back? Please say yes it will. ????

Port vale last season was as good as you'll get.

I too thought days like that were lost forever.

They'll be back....just not for a while :)

The Everton semi final in 77 is often discussed but one classic game from the 70s that doesn't seem to get mentioned much on here is the Quarter Final. I was too young but I've heard countless tales down the years. A goal down at half time to the famous Derby side of the day, as a second division side it seemed a formality they would stroll through the second half. Not a bit of it. We came back and won 1-2 I'm told there were Bolton fans all over the ground and plenty winding up the ever volatile Leighton James on Derby's wing

The Everton semi final in 77 is often discussed but one classic game from the 70s that doesn't seem to get mentioned much on here is the Quarter Final. I was too young but I've heard countless tales down the years. A goal down at half time to the famous Derby side of the day, as a second division side it seemed a formality they would stroll through the second half. Not a bit of it. We came back and won 1-2 I'm told there were Bolton fans all over the ground and plenty winding up the ever volatile Leighton James on Derby's wing

I was there as 12 year old went with mate who was 14 (both of us went to Wardley school near Swinton both of us still big Bolton fans) he got a ticket off Gary Jones for the osmaston seats behind the net I think we were in the pop side which from memory was split in 2 (might be wrong on that) the view was terrible and can't remember much about the night except the dark streets around the ground were grim Bolton fans had to be funnelled down a narrow metal fabricated tunnel to steer them from the Derby fans the banging and singing on the iron clad tunnelling was ear piercing, we took 8,000 if my memory serves me right, think they were champions the year before and had some of the countries best players on view, we were dogged and determined and eventually wore them down ''twas a fantastic night and atmosphere wish that match was recorded. A big thanks to my mum (god rest her soul) who gave me the whole day off school to go to the game and let me go without any adult supervision, she knew what BWFC meant to me. Happy days.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Port vale last season was as good as you'll get.

I too thought days like that were lost forever.

They'll be back....just not for a while :)

Port vale was very good need more of those type of days, think a good cup run brings an added dimension let's hope we can get decent cup run and hopefully take a premier league scalp sometime soon.

WTF has Happened to football and BWFC since then? The game today is a pale shadow, the eruption behind that goal I would give my right arm for utterly brilliant. Have we lost something as a club or will that come back? Please say yes it will. ????

You're 25 years older for a start.

Just four years before that night we were getting mullered 4-0 at Wolves to make it seven away games without a win in Division Four - a run of games that saw us score just twice against such luminaries as Halifax, Hartlepool, Tranmere, Colchester and Crewe.

• Members

Some of us Burnden Paddock types were in the paddock opposite the pop side which was indeed split in two. Little bit of to-ing and fro-ing when the goals went in. Was a bit rum afterwards in the streets around the ground but we were there in such numbers there was no way we were going to come off second best.

Great night and a sensational performance on the pitch which, if I remember rightly, was a bit of a quagmire.

• Site Supporter

I was there as 12 year old went with mate who was 14 (both of us went to Wardley school near Swinton both of us still big Bolton fans) he got a ticket off Gary Jones for the osmaston seats behind the net I think we were in the pop side which from memory was split in 2 (might be wrong on that) the view was terrible and can't remember much about the night except the dark streets around the ground were grim Bolton fans had to be funnelled down a narrow metal fabricated tunnel to steer them from the Derby fans the banging and singing on the iron clad tunnelling was ear piercing, we took 8,000 if my memory serves me right, think they were champions the year before and had some of the countries best players on view, we were dogged and determined and eventually wore them down ''twas a fantastic night and atmosphere wish that match was recorded. A big thanks to my mum (god rest her soul) who gave me the whole day off school to go to the game and let me go without any adult supervision, she knew what BWFC meant to me. Happy days.

Some of us Burnden Paddock types were in the paddock opposite the pop side which was indeed split in two. Little bit of to-ing and fro-ing when the goals went in. Was a bit rum afterwards in the streets around the ground but we were there in such numbers there was no way we were going to come off second best.

Great night and a sensational performance on the pitch which, if I remember rightly, was a bit of a quagmire.

Played truant for that game. I think I'd recently turned 14 and went with a gang of lads from Harwood. Stopped off at services and I've never seen as much petty theft. One lad opened a tuck shop once we got back on coach.

Baseball was the worst view of any ground I'd been to hence I recall bugger all about the actual game.

The corrugated metal tunnel. I'd forgotten all about that. Intimidating wankers!

Got home at stupid o'clock and up next morning for school. Dad had already gone to work so asked my mum for a letter excusing my absence. Hell, she was a right soft touch compared to dad.

Dear Miss Williams (Fit as fuck and about a 38DD)

Michael decided that a day out at a football match was much more important than his education.

Signed MickyD's mum

I think I got an after school detention so well worth it.

First twenty minutes we got tatered Lieghton James running Nicho ragged

Brian Smith & Steve Taylor played their best ever games for Bolton that night , McFarland should have walked chopping down Taylor several times.

Feisty afterwards stopped at a pub on the outskirts of Derby for a piss up after the game , great memories.

I've still got the Daily Express back page from the day after the match. We were in the stand behind the goal, high up on the back row.

I'm sorry to be pedantic and I'm really not having a go at you but it's Garry Jones!

I've still got the Daily Express back page from the day after the match. We were in the stand behind the goal, high up on the back row.

I'm sorry to be pedantic and I'm really not having a go at you but it's Garry Jones!

While we're being pedantic, i think both ends were open terraces, ours definitely was, and the far end was an odd shape with different layers of terracing.......

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/236006/sloping-terrace-southamptons-ground-dell

While we're being pedantic, i think both ends were open terraces, ours definitely was, and the far end was an odd shape with different layers of terracing.......

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/236006/sloping-terrace-southamptons-ground-dell

Mounts was referring to the semi final at Derby.

These threads do tend to sway away from topic. ????