Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Vintage Radio One 50 Years On.

leigh white

Must admit, it played a great part of my life growing up from hearing the first ever broadcast in 67. Stuck by it until Mark n Lard got fucked off for pastures new in 04, the I Player celebrating the sounds of the last 50 years are good with loads of DJs what appeared on the station having good hour long slots. Many tunes remembered.

Never got into Radio 1. A few decent DJ's in the 70's . Yep Mark and Lard were excellent but I always felt it was so London biased.

Used to enjoy Piccadilly Radio .

These days listen to XS and planet rock.

Same here. Radio Luxembourg was my thing although I did listen to John Peel every night. Daytime was Piccadilly on 261am. Hated all the DJs on Radio 1 apart from Peel. Mark and Lard were OK but nothing more. Always had a car with a cassette player, CD player or iPod connection and listened to music that I liked

Stopped listening to R1 in 1990. But it was ace leading up to my self exile. First job I got after i left school was at Indespension on Belmont Road. They use to play it through the speakers all day. The R1 summer roadshows were good fun too. When songs come on Absolute 80s on the digi I can tell you what job I was doing and what time of year the song was in the charts. I can be a bit of a savant at times ????

Edited by Underpants

Aye

And that's why all the radio one djs from the 90s are now on radio two

Natural progression

I was listening to Radio 2 recently, Steve Wright was on Radio 1 in the 80's. He seemed old then. One of those who tried to be cool by wearing a piano tie.

He must be in his Eighties now.

People always say radio 1 went shit.

No it didn't, you just got old.

No. Radio 1 was always shit during the day. Mike Sweeney used to have a show about 1pm on Piccadilly. Started with the intro to Pretty Vacant by the Sex Pistols followed by...."Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnneeeeey". Blew Radio1 and their shite out of the water

When the station banned records from being played, it was a boost for the artist. Wet Dream by Max Romeo in 69 was called a song in the chart countdown on Sunday's. :)

???? To be fair, I don't think they'd play that today.

Still a good record though.

• Site Supporter

No. Radio 1 was always shit during the day. Mike Sweeney used to have a show about 1pm on Piccadilly. Started with the intro to Pretty Vacant by the Sex Pistols followed by...."Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnneeeeey". Blew Radio1 and their shite out of the water

70 years old now and still got a great following on BBC Radio Manchester.

• Site Supporter

Sweeney shot his load before he ever made daytime

Put some abba on, sweeney

Mark radcliffes cures for insomnia, late night Friday on picc

And David Jensen was a decent warm up for peel

Except pronounce it abboh.

I'm still clinging on to radio 1 with Greg James from 4 as there's no alternative. Talksport can get fucked and all commercial stuff is bobbins.

I can do an hour on a Friday night with Annie Mac till she goes all weird with her drum and base shite.

Danny Howard is good on a Saturday tea but that's about it for the weekend.

Most mornings now are Joel and Lorna on heart, pretty funny them two in a shit commercial radio kind of way.

Makes me think how much I actually listen to the radio. Every single minute I'm in my house it's on in the kitchen. First thing I do in the morning is switch it on. Then on all day in the van.