Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

First Away Game Following The Wanderers

Marc505

Feb 20 1965 5th round FA cup match V Liverpool, lost 1-0. Over 57,000 on Burnden that day, fantastic atmosphere. 

This is the away thread

Went to the league cup games home and away in 67. 1-1 at theirs and beat them 3-2 in the replay. Think Gordon Taylor scored at Burnden. Went the Anfield game with a school friend and his dad who was a scouser and he went in the cop and we went in the boys pen; the idiot kept shouting Bolton when we were winning and the Scouser kids were not too happy we had to leave early when they equalised

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a coach to Carlisle early 70's and it was full of loons; several got nicked.

Maybe you was on our coach

Mention of coaches to Carlisle brings back memories of 1975/76 season - our first promotion push under Ian Greaves - we always travelled with either Hargreaves from  Moor Lane bus station  or if they were fully booked with Ribble who were always cheaper but always made you wished you had booked earlier with Hargreaves because they were not the best or most reliable of coaches and were full of all the not rights.

Anyway to Carlisle - our coach broke down somewhere just past Tebay and it was February , it was cold and it started to snow and it was about 130pm ,  police arrived and said they would radio for a replacement coach and told us to wait for the replacement. However such was the desire to see the game we all piled off and started walking and running  up the hard shoulder towards Carlisle  thumbing lifts and waving scarves  - we soon spread out over a good half mile and then to our amazement  cars and vans started pulling in and we subsequently found on the way home that  everyone got a lift to the ground in time for kick off . Just looking in Rothmans yearbook - Carlisle's previous 2  home crowds had been 7k and 6k v Fulham and v Notts County - we turned  up and it was just shy of 13k - proper big turnout that day - thankfully for those of us on that coach 

If anyone is interested my first away game  was Sheffield Wednesday on a Wednesday night in 1971 and apart from the 3 older lads who took me I  did not see one other Bolton fan , and was told in no uncertain terms not to cheer if we scored and my main memory of that visit was seeing an Electric scoreboard for the first time 

What took you so long?

I didn't know anybody who went to aways up to then. It was my comeback season after a couple of years of staying away to, there's something about seeing Bolton at a low point that makes me want to get off my arse and to play my small part.

Was that the coach FD was on ?  I've heard him tell the story of a trip to Carlisle & how the Carlisle police are still looking for a Fred Decker. :whistle:

Yep thats the one

Did he tell you about when we got out the ground? About 40 of us and around 200 charged towards us - FD went at them and we all followed and then the Carlisle lot started to run. They went round this alley and as we turned they were still running until they realised there was only about 6 of us left. FD will tell you the full story because I cant remember the details

Edited by RUREADY2ROLL

Yep thats the one

Did he tell you about when we got out the ground? About 40 of us and around 200 charged towards us - FD went at them and we all followed and then the Carlisle lot started to run. They went round this alley and as we turned they were still running until they realised there was only about 6 of us left. FD will tell you the full story because I cant remember the details

That's it.  Briefly, as you say, he led the charge into them & they scattered but he got gripped by a policeman. The PC then told him what a fearful kicking they were going to give him in the van so he managed to break free & ran like mad onto the moors ( ??) followed by some Carlisle fans.

After a while running, he looked back & only one was still following so he doubled back & flattened him, then sneaked back into town & smuggled onto a train & hid in the toilet all the way back to Preston.

His telling of it has a lot more detail :D

Mention of coaches to Carlisle brings back memories of 1975/76 season - our first promotion push under Ian Greaves - we always travelled with either Hargreaves from Moor Lane bus station or if they were fully booked with Ribble who were always cheaper but always made you wished you had booked earlier with Hargreaves because they were not the best or most reliable of coaches and were full of all the not rights.

Anyway to Carlisle - our coach broke down somewhere just past Tebay and it was February , it was cold and it started to snow and it was about 130pm , police arrived and said they would radio for a replacement coach and told us to wait for the replacement. However such was the desire to see the game we all piled off and started walking and running up the hard shoulder towards Carlisle thumbing lifts and waving scarves - we soon spread out over a good half mile and then to our amazement cars and vans started pulling in and we subsequently found on the way home that everyone got a lift to the ground in time for kick off . Just looking in Rothmans yearbook - Carlisle's previous 2 home crowds had been 7k and 6k v Fulham and v Notts County - we turned up and it was just shy of 13k - proper big turnout that day - thankfully for those of us on that coach

If anyone is interested my first away game was Sheffield Wednesday on a Wednesday night in 1971 and apart from the 3 older lads who took me I did not see one other Bolton fan , and was told in no uncertain terms not to cheer if we scored and my main memory of that visit was seeing an Electric scoreboard for the first time

Remember the Carlisle away about this time. Can remember wearing a satin ‘cup’ rosette on my parka and being frozen. Always travelled to away matches with about 5 big fellas in the back of my dads 1972 mk1 ford transit van. The small ones. First thing to go on was the calor gas and beef teas all round as we hurtled down the m6 probably at max speed 50mph. Health and safety largely absent back then.

I didn't know anybody who went to aways up to then. It was my comeback season after a couple of years of staying away to, there's something about seeing Bolton at a low point that makes me want to get off my arse and to play my small part.

I’m same worse we are more I want to go.

Think Alex Dawson was at PNE 64-65

Colin Bell played for them though

Bolty's game could be 1966-67 again a 1-2

Defeat followed by a Bury relegation.

Dawson could have scored in that game as they signed him from Preston.

We also lost 1-2 in 1968-69 followed by yet another Bury relegation.

They were our bogey team.

Edited by Take Hunt Off

Could have been, there was a lock out of some description.

I was 12yrs old so Friday would be more realistic

I think on reflection Bell might have scored for them

Yes just checked = Friday night 2 Oct 1964 - went on the bus with mates at 8 year old - bloody hell you wouldnt do that these days 

• Moderators

Derby, not too sure on the year. We lost 3-1, think Malcolm Christie scored a pen. We was certain we was down and it kicked off massively.

March 2002

With them down at bottom felt like a six pointer

Massively deflated for days after thinking we were getting relegated again

Then came charlton away when djorkaeff showed us what he was all about

March 2002

With them down at bottom felt like a six pointer

Massively deflated for days after thinking we were getting relegated again

Then came charlton away when djorkaeff showed us what he was all about

I remember that, lowest I’d felt all season at that point thought we were done for. Gardner had scored a screamer to either put us in front or equalise as well at one stage

• Site Supporter

I got a lift from the local milkman that would'nt happen either!

Me and a mate were walking through Harwood to get the bus up to Blackburn for the promotion game (Worthington - 1-0) and a bloke stopped his car and asked if we were going to the game. Got a lift there and back after he'd waited for us to get back to the car park after the celebrations.

Like you say, it wouldn't happen now.

• Members

Think Alex Dawson was at PNE 64-65

Colin Bell played for them though

Bolty's game could be 1966-67 again a 1-2

Defeat followed by a Bury relegation.

Dawson could have scored in that game as they signed him from Preston.

We also lost 1-2 in 1968-69 followed by yet another Bury relegation.

They were our bogey team.

Cheers mate. Might be getting wires crossed. It could well have been the later one where my dislike for Alex Dawson came from. Seem to recall he was an ex DMB jock with a boxers schnozz.

It was certainly that 64-65 game as it was definitely a night match. First time for me under floodlights which I found magical and, as you say, a packed crowd with a great atmosphere. Devastated we lost and hated those shithouse no marks ever since.

I went to my second away game at PNE in the FA cup it was a replay we lost 3-2 & Alex Dawson scored at least two of the goals as you say Bolty looked more like a boxer than a footballer he was known as the 'black prince' by them (?)

Davies & Lee scored for us & a wall collapsed on their kop again a bumper crowd over 30000 on Deepdale.