Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

First Away Game Following The Wanderers

Marc505

Following on from Elvis' thread (you can tell it's International week)

You'd expect most people's first game would probably be a home one - or maybe neutral venue such as Wembley, so what was your first away game?

Mine was 2-1 at West Ham, last day of the 2001-2002 season, Djorkaeff consolation and a seat on the front row which actually put me lower than pitch level. I was 19 then, a really late start for away games I reckon, had built up all my match going experience over 8 years around home games only and was actually taken aback by the concept of being a very small section of people surrounded by an entire stadium that disliked us, was quite intimidating.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carlisle Nov 1976.

Ribble busses from Moor Lane bus station. Was very interesting to say the least. Bolton fans were

Down one side of the ground, but could easily roam around as there was no segregation.

Missed last bus back home from Moor Lane and had to walk it home to Hindley. Mum and

Dad sat their wondering were I was as I never told them where I was going. Was only 14. They

Were not happy. Got the bug for away games after that, and made several trips on those Ribble Busses.

0-0 away to Blackburn as a 16 year old in 2003, not longer before finishing high school. Dreadful game. Went on the train from Bolton and although I don’t remember any major trouble, it was a bit of an eye opener from being used to sitting in the family stand at home games etc. Not sure why I started so late to be honest as I’d been going to Leigh rugby away games with my mates for at least three/four years prior to that.

York City about 74/75. We won 3-1. Seem to think Hugh Curran scored. Remember a massive amount of police as they were due to play Man U in the cup a week or so later and a copper told my dad that they were using the game as a trial run. Strange what you remember!!!

Ironically my first home game was against York in 71/72