Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

21 Today

miamiwhite

Burnden was a shit hole.

But as the home for all our memories growing up and getting into the wanderers it will forever hold a special place in our hearts.

It's easy to remember the white hot cup run, SJM's wee push, thrashing Swindon etc.

But there was just as many shitty 0-0 draws with Barnsley on a cold Tuesday night.

• Site Supporter

Burnden was a shit hole.

But as the home for all our memories growing up and getting into the wanderers it will forever hold a special place in our hearts.

It's easy to remember the white hot cup run, SJM's wee push, thrashing Swindon etc.

But there was just as many shitty 0-0 draws with Barnsley on a cold Tuesday night.

But even the cold shitty 0-0 draws on a wet Tuesday nights had their appeal. The illumination of the Lever End roof by the flood lights. The giant plume of smoke rising into those same floodlit areas. The smell of pipe, cigar and cigarette smoke lingering in the air. The stench and depth of piss in the toilets. The two very pretty girls in the pie stall in Manny Road North. The strains of "Oh When the Whites Go Marchin' In" slowly making its way around the ground until even those in the little angled Wing Stand joined in. Walking towards the ground with a few hundred other folk and walking out with a few thousand others. Up Manchester Road which the police would close so the whole street became a pedestrian area... exept the occasional car which came down and regretted it and the match buses which often became victim of their own "Push Here To Stop Engine" button. Often standing in the same place with the same people who became firm friends even if you didn't actually ever get to know their name.

Kids today never got any of that stuff at Reebok/Macron.

I'm at about the place when my Burnden days are just about to be eclipsed; time-wise, by the Reebok/Macron but know that the real memories were made at Burnden Park.

Sure, we saw some of our all-time best players; Jay-Jay, Youri, Campo, Hierro, too many to mention for fear of missing someone. Even SKD and Nolan fit into the Bolton greats bracket. And some great matches at our new home but nothing at all will ever replace growing up on the terraces of Burnden Park.

But even the cold shitty 0-0 draws on a wet Tuesday nights had their appeal. The illumination of the Lever End roof by the flood lights. The giant plume of smoke rising into those same floodlit areas. The smell of pipe, cigar and cigarette smoke lingering in the air. The stench and depth of piss in the toilets. The two very pretty girls in the pie stall in Manny Road North. The strains of "Oh When the Whites Go Marchin' In" slowly making its way around the ground until even those in the little angled Wing Stand joined in. Walking towards the ground with a few hundred other folk and walking out with a few thousand others. Up Manchester Road which the police would close so the whole street became a pedestrian area... exept the occasional car which came down and regretted it and the match buses which often became victim of their own "Push Here To Stop Engine" button. Often standing in the same place with the same people who became firm friends even if you didn't actually ever get to know their name.

I'm at about the place when my Burnden days are just about to be eclipsed; time-wise, by the Reebok/Macron but know that the real memories were made at Burnden Park.

Sure, we saw some of our all-time best players; Jay-Jay, Youri, Campo, Hierro, too many to mention for fear of missing someone. Even SKD and Nolan fit into the Bolton greats bracket. And some great matches at our new home but nothing at all will ever replace growing up on the terraces of Burnden Park.

????

• Site Supporter

Interesting thought that, and just spent a while thinking it over, I agree, but it's surely just that particular time of life that evokes more memories.

It really was a shithole in the end.

I miss the location of it more than the actual stadium.

• Site Supporter

you are just old.

wait until the macron get turned into a mosque, you grand children will be furious

• Site Supporter

Interesting thought that, and just spent a while thinking it over, I agree, but it's surely just that particular time of life that evokes more memories.

It really was a shithole in the end.

I miss the location of it more than the actual stadium.

This.

Loved just going.

Loved a gentle (sometimes hasty) walk down.

Loved a game of pool and a drink in the boozer beforehand.

Hate the drag now; ages to get away whether in a car or being a bus wanker.

• Site Supporter

One of my biggest regrets in life is leaving at full time.

I was 17 and on a promise in town.

Fucking moron.

Edit : Id actually say its my biggest single regret.

Edited by barryk32

It was a massive shithole by the time we left but the memories are summat else

One game I always remember was against Swansea in the cup. Midweek. Mid to late 70's? Think we won about 5-0, under the floodlights and absolutely pissing it down

Was about the time the fences went up I think as I'm sure it was that game I spent the whole time down the front of the Burnden Paddock sat clinging to the fence aged about 13/14 while my Dad was stood further back in his usual spot under cover

Got home absolutely drenched and my mum went absolutely tonto at my dad for letting me get soaked

Two massive BWFC fan daughters. Mixed feelings. The move to The Reebok at least gave me the chance to carry on the family tradition. Their generation wouldn't have put up with what we did back in the day

• Site Supporter

Great memories never to be forgotten. So pleased our kids are now securing some lifetime memories at The Macron. Going onto the pitch after winning promotion then staying up will be talked about for generations to come. It’s the club and the fans that are the true memory makers